Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Honu 70.3 swim question
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,
I've got a question for those of you familiar with ocean swims. Having never done one (sans wetsuit), I am wondering what to wear. I won't be wearing a swim skin because I figure the time it takes me to get it will probably offset any gains I may make wearing it (or maybe not?? Advice welcome). Should I swim in my race suit? Swim suit and change?
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 swim question [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most people who don't wear speed suits will just swim in what ever they are going to race in. A few people will change clothes after the swim. Unless you plan on racing in a bike jersey I say swim in what you're gonna race in. I think the change tents at Honu T1 are a bit out of the way and it's hard to change clothes after the swim. Or swim in bike shorts/sports bra and put the jersey on top in T1. That way you can avoid the change tent and do it all at your bike.

If you have a swimskin wear it. The run to T1 is LONG at honu and there is PLENTY of time to get it most of the way off as you are running and then step out of it when you get to your bike (less than 5 seconds if you get it down far around your hips as you are running). The speed gained is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 swim question [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip.
On that note, anyone have a small swimskin they want to sell me ;)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't find one, buy one from Target or Wal-Mart when you get there. Yes, the quality won't be as good - but it sounds like you might not really need it long term. I'm assuming you are arriving in Oahu early, so you can practice swim in the ocean with it on. There's actually a nice ocean swim spot just down the road from the main Waikiki area - towards Diamond Head. There's a flag post in the water about 200+ yds from the shore line that people are constantly swimming to/from at most hours of daylight. I can't remember the name of the beach it is off of - but it is right next to a high rise condo building called Colony Surf.

Good luck at the race - and have fun in Hawaii, there's so much to do and see (or not do and just relax beachside with a Lava Flow in hand). Oahu is probably one of my favorite vacation destinations.
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 swim question [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this HIM takes place on the Big Island not Oahu....
speed skin is a waste of money for an average person. you MAY gain 45s over 1.2miles but you will lose it while trying to take it off. If you buy one, make sure it feel very tight. there is a tread in tri forum talking about benefits of speed skins
aloha
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 swim question [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd the bottoms and tri-kini top - throw a jersey or tri top on in T1. Practice in it first - strange swim setups can cause uncomfortable chafing and or areas of drag you won't be prepared for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband has done this race the past couple of years, going back this year two. He wears a swim skin, he's pretty quick too- doesn't take him anytime to strip it off in transition.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a top age-grouper usually trying to win and for me the speed advantages offset the five seconds it takes to pull off a swimskin. I swam that course at Lavaman and you have a long run in transition to get it pulled down off of your shoulders. I use the one by DeSoto and highly recommend it

However if I weren't trying to win I wouldn't bother with a swimskin.
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 swim question [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up buying one on Ebay - lucky me!
Now if only it would stop being freezing here and I could actually train without 48 layers, I'd be in business! Very much looking forward to racing in some sunshine and humidity!
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 swim question [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lavaman and honu are held at different beaches at least 5 miles apart. But honu still has a really long run to transition. Probably twice as long as lavaman.
Quote Reply