Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I tried latex tubes....
Quote | Reply
I was truly shocked at how smooth the ride was with the latex tube vs. butyl (Michelin). They really smoothed out the chip seal road that I ride on my normal training ride. If this is what tubulars feel like; I see why guys don't want to switch to clinchers. FWIW. I am running Conti 4000S's. I will run latex tubes everyday for the ride quality. I was using the Michelin Ultra Light Butyl tubes and couldn't feel any difference between them and a regular butyl tube.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [gnorv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gnorv wrote:
I was truly shocked at how smooth the ride was with the latex tube vs. butyl (Michelin). They really smoothed out the chip seal road that I ride on my normal training ride. If this is what tubulars feel like; I see why guys don't want to switch to clinchers. FWIW. I am running Conti 4000S's. I will run latex tubes everyday for the ride quality. I was using the Michelin Ultra Light Butyl tubes and couldn't feel any difference between them and a regular butyl tube.

:-D

Now try them in a tire with a "better" casing...the 4000S's always feel "dead" to me, even with latex tubes.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
gnorv wrote:

:-D

Now try them in a tire with a "better" casing...the 4000S's always feel "dead" to me, even with latex tubes.

What tire do you run? I like the feel of the 4000S better than the 4000; but, those are the only two decent tires I have used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also just switched to 4000s and latex tubes, love them so far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some good choices offering much better rolling resistance than your 4000s:
Specialized Mondo open tubular (it is a clincher)23
Bontrager Race X Lite Pro23
Bontrager R4 Aero22
Veloflex Record20
Continental Grand Prix Super Sonic which I think is now available in both 20 and 23
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo 23
Michelin Pro 2 Light and Pro 3 Light

Pick one depending on what you want regarding weight vs durability. They all roll well. Use them with latex tubes
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [drrafe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drrafe wrote:
Here are some good choices offering much better rolling resistance than your 4000s:
Bontrager R4 Aero22
Veloflex Record20
Continental Grand Prix Super Sonic which I think is now available in both 20 and 23

Pick one depending on what you want regarding weight vs durability. They all roll well. Use them with latex tubes

Many of these are race-only tires (I run supersonics on my race wheel w/latex tubes), so they wear quicker and flat more. The Mich PR3s are pretty supple for a tire you can train on (not that the GP4000S is a bad tire at all)..

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gnorv wrote:

That's what she said

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [drrafe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drrafe wrote:
Bontrager R4 Aero22
Veloflex Record20

Veloflex record is only available in the 20c width. Is that a problem for larger cyclists. Is there a weight limit for the 20c size?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome.....see you on the side of the road :0)

Re: I tried latex tubes.... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Awesome.....see you on the side of the road :0)"

That has not been my experience at all, and I've used them for racing/training for the last 3 years. Far less flats with latex than butyl.

Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"Awesome.....see you on the side of the road :0)"

That has not been my experience at all, and I've used them for racing/training for the last 3 years. Far less flats with latex than butyl.

Ya but aren't you like 115 lbs soaking wet ?

Quote | Reply
My sticking point is how fast they are supposed to lose air. How much pressure do they lose over a couple of hours? 10-20 lbs pressure loss has got to negate any benefits.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
My sticking point is how fast they are supposed to lose air. How much pressure do they lose over a couple of hours? 10-20 lbs pressure loss has got to negate any benefits.

It isn't anywhere close to that.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:

I've noticed about a 15-20psi loss of pressure over 24hours. You are not really losing all that much air over a couple of hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ya but aren't you like 115 lbs soaking wet ? "

I wish...I'm usually around 155. I would imagine the weight would be a much bigger factor in how long the tires last than in flat occurrence as a result of butyl/latex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me give this recent example.............

first TT of season, I finish my first run and stop to talk with some teammates, when something catches my eye. Pull it out of tire, part of a staple. i don't know if it went all the way through, but no tube puncture(latex). I do second run after, all is fine.

Later I take off race tire and tube and install trainer tire/tube.

fast forward, race weekend approaching again, go put race tire/tube back on. well, after the half staple incident, i fell the inside of the tire as I go to reinstall it. hmm, there is something sharp in there. I find another half staple, one that has pierced the casing and was in contact with tube. remove staple, reinstall tube. no issues with pressure loss, no hole in latex tube.

my belief is that a butyl tube would have flatted from that staple. have done 2-20k and 2-40k on it since. no issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 175lbs, I'm about 3 years into using latex tubes, so does the wife, none of us have had a flat yet with them.

bmanners wrote:
Awesome.....see you on the side of the road :0)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a good video somewhere that explains how to mount the tubes without damaging them or getting creepage causing a pinch flat? I'm no the edge of trying them, but just a little nervous....At $20 per tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have latex tubes on all three of my bikes. Currently running SuperSonics on my SLC and 4000S on my English build. Third bike is also running 4000s. I can feel the difference between the SuperSonics and the 4000S and would agree with Tom a bit. If I am running 105 in the front and 110 on the rear on both bike with the same wheels (AC 350's) I can tell the difference. I would say that the 4000s does feel dead compaired to the SuperSonics. However, the SuperSonics are over 40g lighter, wear faster but feel so good. I love the SuperSonics with latex tubes on my EDGE 45's. Very nice set up.
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not install them any different than installing any other tube. I was running the 50g Butyl tubes before the latex and they are paper thin and I still intalled them the same. Just be careful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vibrolux wrote:
Is there a good video somewhere that explains how to mount the tubes without damaging them or getting creepage causing a pinch flat? I'm no the edge of trying them, but just a little nervous....At $20 per tube.

No major difference, just don't manhandle them on install. A few tips:
1. A light dusting of talc makes the entire process a bit easier.
2. When you have fully tucked the tube in and both beads are on, "walk" around the rim, shimmying the casing back and forth to see if any tube is visible and to better seat the tube. If any tube is visible, be sure to get it fully tucked in either before inflation, by further shimmying or with a tire lever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you know how after putting a tube in, you are supposed to go around the ENTIRE rim of the wheel, push the tire in and check, both sides, that the tube isn't peeking out from under the tire?

you *cannot* skip that step with latex =)

vibrolux wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
knewbike wrote:

I've noticed about a 15-20psi loss of pressure over 24hours. You are not really losing all that much air over a couple of hours.
I've noticed even less than that. Maybe 20 psi loss over 3-4 days. I went on a ride last week w/o adding air for 6 days, tires were soft but never flatted. Pressure was ~ 85 (from 115psi).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Is there a good video somewhere that explains how to mount the tubes without damaging them or getting creepage causing a pinch flat?"

The easiest is if you have a tire that is already used a bit so it is stretched out. If not that, leave it in the car on a sunny day for a while so it heats up before putting it on. That way I can usually get it on without a lever. I also give a few puffs into the tube to inflate it (very) slightly before putting it on the rim to keep any twists out.

Also, make sure your rim tape is in good shape. The latex can sneak through the smallest imperfection.

Quote Reply
Re: I tried latex tubes.... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I guess the answer is to be just as anal with latex as I am with butyl....

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next