Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: road bikes for petites? [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get why people have issues with toe over lap. I am 5' have a 44cm bike on 700c wheels AND I wear a size 41 shoe. and have never put my foot in the wheel.

Any turns taken at speed YOU SHOULD BE LEANING THE BIKE! I don't get the comment u turn and losing speed...uh what??" A u turn at speed you should be leaning into it. I did once put my foot in the wheel of my track bike. Fixed gear so I couldn't stop pedaling. It was no big deal as I was going slow. Going fast--you're leaning.
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [vmandel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad the toe overlap doesn't bother you and that you have awesome cycling skills, but that doesn't mean it is not a concern to other people. My foot overlaps my wheel on my tri bike a good bit and I have put my foot through my spokes twice. My road bike has no overlap, so that eliminates an issue for me. I take all turns slow and in a manner that I am comfortable with, as I have only been cycling for two years and learning later in life doesn't help. I am sure I am not the only woman riding so conservatively out there. I can't afford to fall so I manage every risk that I can (got critically injured in another sport, have titanium rods and screws holding my spine together, along with lots of nerve damage so my left side doesn't work all that well). I am sure that if I took turns better, my bike split times would be better, but I am happy averaging in the 20s mph now and getting off the bike and having a good run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow and I thought the testoserone filled, "my skills are superior to yours and you are an idiot" posts were limited to men.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you've never raced cyclocross, have you?

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
She said turns at speed.....
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I am not nearly as awesome as you. At speed the bike naturaly leans. I can't even imagine how to stay straight up thru a turn without fighting the bike and making things harder for myself. I just let the bike do its thing.

Unless you're going slow...butyou bitched about losing speed in turns..on your 650c wheeled tt bike. That right there is impresive stuff. I have 2 650c wheeled bikes I will have to see if I can do that too with my boatlike size 41 feet. Ill repoert back soon.

And id buy a 650c cross bike if they made one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say my bike had 650s, my tri bike has 700s. My shoes are women's size 42 tri fly. It is very simple to do. Make a u-turn at snails pace, so that mid-turn you run out of speed. At this point you need to pedal, and you can easily put your foot into your spokes if you are in a configuration similar to mine. On my road bike where I don't have this overlap, I get to make my turns as slow as I would like. Of course it would be great if I was comfortable making turns not at a snails pace, but that just isn't the case for me now.
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [redmeeple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redmeeple wrote:
bikeneil wrote:
Oh and just random ... I saw a 46 with 700c's a couple weeks ago in a bike shop. The bike looked so ridiculous! I couldn't believe the modifications to the geometry they had to make in order to squeeze those wheels on.

I own one of those hairy, butt-ugly bikes now, made by Trek. When I bought it last year, I had a choice of one. If I had more money, I'd sell it and buy something that fits in 650 wheels.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i see references to "sharp turns" (redmeeple's post) and u-turns (chicklamino's post), but nothing about turns at speed - of course there's no toe overlap problem when you're counter-steering.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
i see references to "sharp turns" (redmeeple's post) and u-turns (chicklamino's post), but nothing about turns at speed - of course there's no toe overlap problem when you're counter-steering.

cheers!

-mistress k

Hey, we're triathletes! Reading Comprehension isn't necessary our strong suit! :-D j/k

Seriously tho, I gotta admit I'm wussy like chicklamino. I don't like taking those turns too fast. I also like to stick to roads (no mountainbiking, cyclocross, or track experience here! Those all scare me). I definitely turn my wheel a bit on a u-turn.

PS - my 650's rock.
Quote Reply

Prev Next