Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
road bikes for petites?
Quote | Reply
hi all -

looking to surprise my wife with a road bike for her birthday. she's exactly 5'0, which is the problem. i like the idea of 650 wheels for her - the 'hassle' of tyres and tubes doesn't worry me. she's a recreational rider, so things like neutral support don't matter. what's the current crop of options for a woman this size?

-mike

p.s - cross-posted to main forum

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized and Jamis both make bikes on 700c wheels that *should* work for her. Why the desire for 650? It sux! I hate it. (i have 4 bikes, 2 650 and 2 700)
Orbea and Felt make small bikes but on 650c wheels. How does she feel about being on different sized wheels then everyone else?

I'm a shade under 5' and I ride a Jamis Race Femme size 44. I also test rode a Specialized Amira in a 48 as they didn't have a 44 in stock and wouldn't order one. The 48 was no problem with reach but the head tube was too tall, even in the drops I was pretty upright. I was pretty close to ordering the 44cm Amira based on that and the geo chart. I ended up getting a good deal on the Jamis thru the shop that sponsors my team so went with that. I love it, it's a great bike. I also have an older alum Cannondale on 650c wheels, sometimes I race crits on that bike. If she wants a less racier bike the Specialized Ruby is also available in a 44

http://www.jamisbikes.com/.../11_xenithracef.html

http://www.specialized.com/...BCMain.jsp?scid=1001

http://www.specialized.com/...BCMain.jsp?scid=1001
Last edited by: vmandel: Mar 1, 11 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [vmandel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
honestly, i don't think she'd care about being on different sized wheels than everyone else, since she's likely just riding with me or a few friends. and as long as we've got spares in the basement, it's no biggie. practically, i just think it's ridiculous having 700c wheels on a frame that small - they look huge, and i think you have to start dicking around with the geometry to make it work.

we're in europe, so the jamis might be tricky, but the specialized should be easier to find. . . thanks!

-mike

p.s - will also probably have to can the idea of this being a surprise . . . i can usually eyeball clothes for her no worries, but buying a bike is trickier!

Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [vmandel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got an Amira S-Works. I'm almost 5'2 so maybe that is the difference because I did not feel it was too big for me. This is the best road bike I've ever ridden- stiff and great on acceleration. I have a tri bike (Kestrel) with 650 wheels and the Amira has 700 wheels. I actually like the 700 wheels and may consider selling my Kestrel and looking at a Specialized transition if the feel and fit comes close to the Amira.

That being said, I think it's a personal preference and it may depend on the style of bike and the kind of riding she is going to do. My Kestrel fits really well and I've raced it for so long I don't have a comparison but I may ride the Amira for a race to get a real comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek with 700 wheels and I do not like it for fit / comfort purposes as well as my 650-equipped tri bike. However, last year when I bought it, it was all that was available.

BTW, I am 5'2", so I qualify for petite status.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo RS is made in 650 at 48cm. I LOOOOOOOVE mine.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'5" and ride a Cervelo 48 cm P3. I LOVE the 650 wheelsize on that bike so much, that when I had my road bike built (Guru Evolo), I did it as a 48cm with 650c as well-- road bike geo, of course. Rides like a cadiliac and the wheels are in proportion with the frame size.

At my height, I can ride both 650c and 700c and I've had a few 700c bikes (my first Trek road bike and a 51cm Cervelo P2). I definitely prefer the handling of the 650c wheels on the smaller sized bikes. There are some 650c choices out there in road frames, but not nearly as many as are popping up in the tri world. Do not worry about tubes/tires- there are plenty of 650c to be found. Heck, I even had HED build me a pair of Jet6 race wheels late last year (at no additional expense over stock price). I guess what I'm saying is that you do have choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - I ride a tiny Giant (TCR) - (sorry- couldn't resist). The frame is a 42 and the wheels are 650. The big guys I ride with tried to convince me to get a frame that can accommodate 700 wheels, but the triathlon coach I'm using at the moment, said it's not going to make such a big difference in the long run. I'd suggest taking her to the bike shop as a surprise - don't buy the bike for her. I'm just 5' tall - but it depends also whether her height is more in her legs or torso and it's all about the fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also don't think the wheel size matters as much as the comfort of the entire bike and of course frame size. I'm 5 foot also and I have a 48" felt...its such an awesome ride! Also look into Women Specific bikes...I had a 48" before but it wasn't WS and t makes a world of difference! Good luck!

"What will you wear on your next race day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see why you would consider a 650, but it's also important to note that a 700 will roll much better and she will likely keep up with you better. I know it doens't sound like an issue to you to wait up, but there are issues in my relationship from this very thing. She doesn't like me to go fast for sections and wait up, and it is way harder than it sounds to enjoy a ride at <20 km/hr, even if you are spinning like crazy. I would spare yourself the trouble and get her on a sz 46 or 48 cm 700 and probably get some 700x20 tires for her, because she doesn't need a meaty tire like a 23 would be for her.
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [bikeneil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the size of the wheel is unrelated to the ability to keep up.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a purely physics standpoint, a 700 will have less rolling resistance than that of a 650. It really does matter over a long term ride. There's a reason you don't have the option on "normal" sized frames (52 and up) anymore of having a 650. No one wants it unless they can't help it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been beaten to DEATH on the main forum. Please use the search function.

The rolling resistance you refer to is microscopic and the aerodynamic advantage of not being uprght and catching the wind like a large sail far exceed your tire size. Aero trumps everything.

This year's Kona winner was on 650 wheels- she must not have read your post ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Cannondale women's specific size 45 (it's a six13) - it's a few years old so I'm not sure if they still make this model but it is perfect for me! I am 5'3 but my torso is short so I had to go with the small bike. (it does have 700's but I'll stay out of that debate, they handle just fine on this bike)
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, and most of the fastest ironman splits of all time have been on 650 wheels too. paula newby fraser actually won on 24-inch wheels a couple of times, which are just a small step up from skateboard wheels.

IF they've got higher rolling resistance, they're also smaller than an otherwise identical 700 wheel, meaning less mass, lower moment of interia, and less drag. most importantly, though, if they get THE RIDER into a comfortable, aero, powerful position, they're better than anything.

-mike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.petitebikefit.com/

check out 'resources' for useful information..
Last edited by: doug in co: May 5, 11 19:29
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt do quite a few of their bikes in a petite size.
Orbea do a 44cm that has 650 wheels.
Cervelo do a 48cm but the stack and reach is bigger than other bikes
Cannondale used to do a small one but I don't that is available anymore
Elite used to do some smaller bikes
and finally some of the TREK bikes are available in 45cm this year

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden both 700 and 650 wheels. I can't keep up with my husband regardless of wheel size. He trains more than me and has more muscle mass, endurance and the ability to tolerate more pain than I do. I am much more comfortable on my 650c wheeled bikes - it is all I have now.

I suggest you try some larger wheels on your bike and see how it rides. Also, a 700c has a larger circle so there should be more rolling resistance there. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [AZtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smaller wheels (not width wise) actually have been tested to have a higher rolling resistance on the road, because they wind up proportionally deforming more while they are on the ground and they are not as steady over little bumps like pebbles. They also have a smaller moment, which means less inertia while they are moving at steady state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, the whole "rolling resistance" and "you have to pedal more to go the same speed as someone one 700's" is the dumbest argument ever. Unless you're a short triathlete (I'm talking 5'4" or less) and you've tried both 700s and 650s, then I really don't think you have a leg to stand on in this debate. Whip out as much physics and calculations as you want, but there is one absolute, solid truth that you cannot get around: When a bike fits you better, you can power it better, and therefore, you can go faster.

I am saying this in 100% confidence because for months and months I took my big ol' engineers brain and tried to calculate for me whether I should buy 650s or 700s. I'm a whopping 5'4 on a good day (ok, fine, 5'3 and 3/4). Finally, I took the plunge and went and bought the 650s, because that just seemed to be the "best fit." Well you know what? I started chicking my husband the first day out on the bike. So much for that "well, you're going to have to wait for your slow wife!"

Here are things to keep in mind with 650s - things that I learned in the last few months of riding them:
1. The standover height is lower. That means, no more wobbling and almost toppling over every time you climb on. Same thing with stopping at redlights. I don't have to tiptoe like a ballerina to prevent from falling onto the ground.
2. When I make sharp turns, I don't have to worry about clipping my toe on the wheel. My friend on the 51cm Cannondale Slice does -- her toes overlap; mine do not.
3. 650 tires are easier to get on/off the rim! I don't know how this is possible, and I did read online that they're "harder to get on/off", but that wasn't the way it was in reality for me.
4. 650s really do climb hills better! I'm a little mountain goat on my tri bike, whereas I struggle up the same hills on my 700c road bike (with a granny).
5. You need a lot less force to push a higher gear on 650s. Sure, you can whip out your math equations and say 'well each time you turn the pedal in a given gear on 700's, its going to go x cm further than a 650, and therefore you have to pedal more on the 650", you're not putting into consideration that when you're pedaling in that gear on the 650, you're putting out less effort than the 700. So, you can easily push a higher gear than on the 700's. While I've not done some side-by-side power testing or anything, I'm willing to bet that I can go a lot faster on a given course in same conditions on my 650c bike than I can on my 700c bike.

And lastly, and this is the most important ....
There is absolutely nothing that can compare to a bike that fits you right. You feel more comfortable and more confident on a bike that fits you. If you're not comfortable on the bike, it doesn't matter how big or small the wheels are, you're just not going to be able to go faster on it. If you are comfortable, you're going to be able to really control that bike.

Oh, and seriously, men? If its really an "issue" in your relationship to wait for your wife while out on a bike ride, you should really look for a relationship that's a little less shallow and/or restructure your workouts. Yeah, it would be cool if we can keep up with you, but sometimes we want men that are a little less chick-able. We like manly men.
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [redmeeple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that's a new way to look at it. Thanks for the input. I'm a little taller, and I don't really mind waiting for her. I pick and choose days to devote to riding with her, so that tends to be fun. That things you mentioned about climbing on a 650 makes a ton of sense, and for just that alone, I would change my argument, not to mention the benefits of comfort and standover frame height. I would not worry about foot overlap, though with either. My feel overlap pedals, but I'm never in a turn that would ever warrant hitting my foot with the wheel (and I've done some sharp and fast turns).

Sorry if you post ticked you off a bit. The physics of it is that once it is rolling (ideally on a flatter course), a 700 will roll better, but the benefits of comfort probably outweigh the physics benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheel overlap is definitely something to consider. My foot overlaps my wheel quite a bit, and during a u-turn I have to be certain not to pedal. I have put my foot into my wheel twice and both times came close to taking myself out. It stinks when you are in the middle of a u-turn, lose speed, and can't pedal because you will just kick your wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikeneil wrote:
Sorry if you post ticked you off a bit. The physics of it is that once it is rolling (ideally on a flatter course), a 700 will roll better, but the benefits of comfort probably outweigh the physics benefit.

Aaah, I guess I got a little bitchy there. I just get a little irked at the 650-haters. If it weren't for so many out there on the web (and in bike shops!!), it would have made my decision a lot easier. Instead of trying to scare people with "you'll go slower!" and "tires/tubes are so hard to find!," they should just stick to facts -- you gotta be on a bike that fits.

Oh and just random ... I saw a 46 with 700c's a couple weeks ago in a bike shop. The bike looked so ridiculous! I couldn't believe the modifications to the geometry they had to make in order to squeeze those wheels on.
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [redmeeple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries. I'm not really a hater. I don't really care what other people are on as long as they're having the most fun they can. That would look bizarre... You should post a pic. Were the fork angle and seat stays all splayed out?
Quote Reply
Re: road bikes for petites? [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
U turns are always a bit dicey. I just don't usually make it a habit to pedal from the initiation of the turn until I am coming out of the apex of the u turn.
Quote Reply

Prev Next