Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How'd you do? May 2nd edition
Quote | Reply
I know a couple of the Womens were racing. Can't wait to hear about it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? May 2nd edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals last week were 4-2-5 sbr and 3 x hip and shoulder exercises. I made the sbr goals, didn't do shoulder exercises at all. Eating was 5.5/7. I had 6 days total with 'issues' in April (other months were 7, 7, 5) so no statistically significant improvement.

week was 5 swims, 2 rides, 5 runs = 12600 yds, 34 mi, 46 mi (+ 2 mi walk, 60 min yoga)

M - 9 mi run, 20 mi bike
T - 4000 yd swim, 2 mi walk
W - 8 mi run, 3000 yd swim
T - 8 mi run, 1400 yd swim
F - 8 mi run, 3000 yd swim AM 1200 yd swim PM
S - off
S - 13 mi run, 14 mi bike, 60 min yoga

Goals for this week:
  • Write statistics term paper
  • Have 1/2 c oatmeal pre workout rather than a Luna/Clif bar. Less sugar. Less processed. Way cheaper.
  • I'm going to try to set distance goals rather than frequency ones. Swim 10k, ride 100 mi, run 40 mi.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: May 2, 11 1:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tigerchik!

Nice week! Can you explain your eating goals? I'm newer to the forum and am wondering what your circumstances are. Just generally better eating habits? Of course I'm curious given my chosen profession.. :)

Ok, I had a good week last week with 3/3/4 sbr and even managed (Ok this is big people) to get in one core session! The runs are also coming along and actually did my "long" run on the roads while most of my other runs have been on crushed granite trails. Slowly increasing that mileage...

Monday: Swim 2250 meteres w/ drills, Run 3.5 miles

Tuesday: Bike 31 miles (hills)

Wednesday: Swim 2050 meters, Run 3.5 miles

Thursday: Bike 30 miles

Friday: Swim 2200 meters, Run 4 miles

Saturday: Bike 30 miles (in 25-30 mph winds, I was visiting my hometown in south texas. This ride was ridiculous!)

Sunday: "Long" run of 7.2 miles on pavement running trails, 15 minutes of corework (Yay me! :D )

Happy training all!
Last edited by: Tri_Dietitian: May 2, 11 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? May 2nd edition [Tri_Dietitian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Tigerchik!

Nice week! Can you explain your eating goals? I'm newer to the forum and am wondering what your circumstances are. Just generally better eating habits? Of course I'm curious given my chosen profession.. :)

Horribly long eating disorder history. I was severely anorexic for 4 years, recovered from that only to become bulimic in college. I'm doing quite well now - comparatively - but still working on normal eating habits. I put a sticker on my calendar for each day that I don't binge or undereat too much. The 7-7-5-6 is days for the months of this year sans stickers. (goal obviously = stickers ;-)

I work with a dietician at school. She is AWESOME, and we've been working on teasing out some of the lingering food fears. There are many, many little issues there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
- BMO 1/2 marathon on Sunday -> this will likely turn into the BMO 8k ;-) I just don't think my shoulder is ready for 1h45 of pavement pounding... => DONE and 2nd in AG, 14th OAF, got my time goal just barely. Pretty happy with this result and SUPER happy I didn't do the 1/2 - my shoulder was pretty tight and sore after 8k. I was happy with most of my pacing, although I can see that I paced as if a 10k not 8k, so will need to work on that. To make top 10, I'd have to drop ~2min which is a lot on 36min.
- Run 4x prior (mostly easy with strides) => DONE
- Ride 2x. => DONE. Climbing out of the saddle is getting better, but still feels off.

This week: I have issued myself another 200mi running challenge for May (similar to my Dec one), so let's start ramping up and see how it goes. I'd like to crack 50k this week, it's been a while since I've been at that volume (sad eh?). I *might* do a 5k race on Mother's day (with my girl). But optional at this point.
M: OFF - GO VOTE! ;-)
T: Run to and from work (11k each way). If too stiff still, ride, then run at lunch (50' with 8x30" strides)
W: Run to and from work.
R: Same as Tues
F: 40' with 8x30" strides
St: 15k with dog.
Sn: 5k race or 5k ez

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- 4 runs including waterloo marathon sunday: WIN.
- 1 bike: FAIL, unless my motorcycle counts, but my honey bought me new bibs!
- 3 swims (short - just trying to keep my feel for the water): WIN.
- 5 core/strength including foam rolling: FAIL. 4 only, no foam rolling (stupid)

the marathon was brutal. i tapered well, was feeling good on race morning, and got in a nice warmup. out of nowhere on the 1st downhill of the race (maybe 1km in), both my vastus medialis muscles feel like someone just shattered a piece of glass in them! every single downhill was painful after that. i was still running at a decent pace to make my goal time by the halfway mark (including a portajohn stop), but the rain and wind whipped up at about 26km as we were running through a desolate area of nothing but farm fields - at least it encouraged me to keep running just to keep from freezing to death. at 28km we turned into a headwind and a series of rolling hills that lasted the rest of the race while my quads tried to seize from the cold. the sun finally came out a bit with 8km left to go, but it was a deathmarch to the line. i finished, i ran the whole thing with no walk breaks, and i didn't have any GI issues - i missed the time i would have liked by a few minutes, but with it being my 1st i was happy just to beat the course, the weather, and the voices in my head telling me to walk or quit altogether!

this week's goals:
- 3 very short, easy runs
- 3 walks to stretch my legs out
- 3 bike
- 3 swim
- 4 core/strength/stretch including foam rolling

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Welcome to marathoning. ;-) All marathons are brutal in some way or another - sounds like you got a particularly nasty introduction though.

Take care of yourself this week, you will be a wreck for a while. I would skip the ez runs this week. Your immune system will be very weak, and your legs will get worse for a few more days before they get better.

Oh and CONGRATS!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? May 2nd edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i'm actually in better shape today than i thought i'd be - got an awesome massage after the race, had an ice bath, went for 2 walks (3.25km/down the big hill i live on, then back up + 0.75km on fairly flat), didn't eat any gluten, and i'm still wearing my compression sleeves. feet are still tender and of course my quads are trashed, but i'm moving much more easily than i did after a half marathon i did in deep snow in january, or the 44km i did on trail last october.

my legs actually seem to recover better when i do some easy runs (3km or less at whatever pace feels ok), even when walking is horrible, and i've done a recovery run after all of the long runs i did during the marathon build. still won't do anything but walk, swim and very gentle spin on the trainer (may not even use the resistance unit) for a day or two, though - i'll play it by ear, but tonight i have a 5-block round trip walk to the local polling station planned :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I figured it was something having to do with an ED. I had some great opportunities working with/counseling young ladies (and even males) with EDs when I was a dietetic intern and I can appreciate how hard you have worked to get where you are. The relapse rate is very high and you are definitely an inspiration to all those who do struggle with eating issues. Rock on, sista!

Oh and congrats to everyone on their 8Ks, marathons, and hard training. This is a solid group of women!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week: I was in Meza, AZ for the Spring Masters Nationals swim meet. I had a catastrophic fall-out/burn-out with swimming in competition my second year in college and this was my first competition back in about 8 years. It was both slightly depressing (slow times comparatively) and fun at the same time!

Highlights:
*going out in a 1:11 for the 100 fly in the 400IM and not dying the rest of the 300!
*the burn during a 500 FR..then more burn in the 200 FR a few hours later
*relays with my teammates
*meeting Rowdy Gaines and Misty Hyman
*watching Ed Moses go 1:56 in the 200 breast (holy cow!)
*watching the 80+ age group heats. Some of the 85 year olds still go off the blocks. It's amazing.
*the feeling of a race suit- ah! so fast!
*tequila shots in the airport on the way home

Overall though, I'm really impressed with the turn-out, and the attitude of the swimmers. It was nothing like the notoriously infamous (or perhaps unfortunately stereotyped) "Ironman environment"- people were courteous, polite, and friendly in the warm up pool and behind the blocks. There was a lot of respect for the elderly, and the olympic gold medalists were just walking around with the rest of us, happy to take pictures with whoever. No self-importance and no crappy attitudes.

Now back into run shape:
Goals for this week:
Mon (ez spin)
Tue (lift + short run)
Wed (track)
Thurs (swim+trail run)
Fri (swim+lift)
Sat (trail run)
Sun (long run)
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? May 2nd edition [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Masters swim meets are a lot of fun.

Quote Reply