Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Bicycle has never been raced"
Quote | Reply
I am currently looking for a used road bike for my wife and as I am plowing through ads I see the same line over and over.

"Bicycle has never been raced, only used for training rides"

Stop it! What is the difference? Just let me know how many miles you have one the bike. It's all I need to know. If the bike has been used in a "race" does not change anything. Lines like the one above is a turnoff and tells me you don't know much about bikes. Rant over.

http://www.frostyjunction.com/
https://twitter.com/FrostyJunction
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [FrostyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its as opposed to "bike has less than 500 miles total, only 3 seasons of Cat 5 crit racing, I use my good bike for training."

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet! She's ready to ride again!!! :)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's a euphemism for "I never peed on it..."

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or like selling a 4-wheeler...."never been rolled"!!
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Sweet! She's ready to ride again!!! :)

It has been four years since she crashed and she is finally ready. Unfortunately no triathlons. Because she trashed her right solder so bad she can't swim. Oh well, I am so stoked that she is back in the saddle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or almost brand new just used about 10 times!

-------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FrostyJ wrote:
"Bicycle has never been raced, only used for training rides"

Lines like the one above is a turnoff and tells me you don't know much about bikes. Rant over.

Perhaps it's you who doesn't know much. Listing whether a bike has been raced is pretty common practice among roadies. Newsflash - not everyone who rides a bike is a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So please tell me how the wear on a bike is different when racing versus training. I don't turn the cranks differently. I don't shift differently. I don't sprint differently. Curious to know.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree I think its pointless to say that "it hasn't been raced". I don't give a flying f*** if it was raced as long as is was crashed.(It also makes guys selling 2009 pinarellos look like pussys because it shows that they don't race their $13,000 machine)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never raced my R3 but I've rode it through hell and back, gravel roads, dirt trails, rough pavement. I figure because they ride it in Paris-Roubaix I can take it anywhere :) Point is, never raced means nothing. That's like saying a car has been "lady driven". The way my leadfooted lady drives....... :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is a little old lady in houston with a miata that is quite literally

"driven by a little old lady only on sundays"

and every single time it was raced (pretty quickly) in an autocross event on sticky race tires and probably has extreme bushing and shock wear relative to any normal car.

she had the bumper sticker too =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you find one, I Jess would love to ride with her!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FrostyJ wrote:
So please tell me how the wear on a bike is different when racing versus training. I don't turn the cranks differently. I don't shift differently. I don't sprint differently. Curious to know.

I do. I slam home gears, shift under load, and jam on the cranks out of turns in a way that I don't when I'm training. I guess I sprint the same though.
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a crit puts way more stress on wheels than *most* peoples training due to the high speed turns

however I just so happen to live near a very twisty bike-only road where I do crit-like stress to my wheels all the time.

as such, I have found I cannot use certain light, inexpensive wheels that are popular around here....for long!

Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many miles is too many? I have a 3 year old Felt F2 DA that I am thinking of replacing this year. It has some minor scratches as it fell over but it's "never been crashed" in a race. The thing is, this bike easily has 40,000 miles on it.

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
there is a little old lady in houston with a miata that is quite literally

"driven by a little old lady only on sundays"

and every single time it was raced (pretty quickly) in an autocross event on sticky race tires and probably has extreme bushing and shock wear relative to any normal car.

she had the bumper sticker too =)

Rad in every way.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: "Bicycle has never been raced" [00gauge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no idea, could be infinite.

i hope my p3 aluminum fails some day so I can maybe get a p4 but it may never happen!

00gauge wrote:
How many miles is too many? I have a 3 year old Felt F2 DA that I am thinking of replacing this year. It has some minor scratches as it fell over but it's "never been crashed" in a race. The thing is, this bike easily has 40,000 miles on it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know for road races, but the statement is also common on mtbikes. Racing a mtb can be really stressfull on the bike when comparing it to riding around the park.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh, I would probably like to know. In most cases, "Bicycle has been raced and never crashed" means someone has taken good care of equipment. I've taken my bike into many more sketchy situations road racing than I ever would in training (yes, this means I need to alter my training). Bombing down a 40+ mph descent with 80 of your closest friends is a little different than doing it solo. Are there different physical stresses to the bike? No. But, people who are willing to bomb 40+ mph descents with 80 of their closest friends are also (hopefully) going to take excellent care of their equipment to make that situation as safe as possible. I know I do. For me, race equipment is pampered so it works properly when you really need it to.

"Bicycle has never been raced" may be a bad thing! But then again, I scored my current R3 frame from a 'has never been raced' seller and proceeded to race the crap out of it. It's been a fantastic bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the most stupid piece of information I see. If you are racing and like to finish races then you make sure your equip is in good shape and go over your rig as opposed to the somebody who is training and sometimes let things go from session to session. My bikes have always been better maintained when racing. I can remember when racing moto-x, people selling bikes and saying "never raced". It usually meant there bike was a pile if sh*& because they were out winging it with there buddies on the weekends while all the real riders where at the races making sure there bikes were primo for results. My race bikes were always in way better shape then my practice bikes! It is just a stupid comment. In the end it just matters about how old the bike is and how well it was taken care of. PLEASE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a carryover from car sales where cars with sporting pretentions point out "never been raced" or "never been wrecked" Of course in car racing (even track days) the likelihood of driving it like you stole it, does affect the car while racing a bike is arguably the same as riding it for training.

Personally, I'd prefer to see "only used for racing" since people generally race a lot less than train and the bike would probably have less miles on it!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply