Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 Weeks, No Activity, Doctor's Orders
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies,

I just had surgery yesterday and all went well...except for the fact that I am not supposed to do ANY form of exercise for 2 weeks. I'm blowing my brains out. Any suggestions or tips? I think I'm allowed short walks, other than that, there's pretty much...no option for anything easy. :( Any of you women experience something similar? What got you through this? It wouldn't be so terrible, except I have a 50K looming on September 17th. And, I'm running none at all...Help!

Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Weeks, No Activity, Doctor's Orders [trikitty57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, September is a long way off and two weeks isn't long at all. Take the walks, enjoy Spring (hopefully there are lots of pretty plants blooming where you are) and take the time to recover fully.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost 6 months is enough time to prepare for slightly longer than a marathon.

Relax; you will be fine. I will have another foot surgery May 18 and plan on competing in IronMan Canada at the end of August.

Recover, knowing that you will be stronger and hopefully in less pain as a result of being cut on.

Then race hard in September!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Weeks, No Activity, Doctor's Orders [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about stretching? We often don't spend enough time doing these basics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We often records lots of data in our logs and workout diaries but never go back and see what it says..

You could take some of your down time to look back on your log or diary and see what has worked well, what hasn't, how you have progressed, etc.

Based on your successes you can work on setting out a plan you get you through May until your race.. Remember not to rush back too fast.. you still have several months to prepare.. most training plans wouldn't have a serious 6 month plan, more like a 20 week plan..

You'll be stronger for the down time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recover now to avoid injury later.

• You should go for a few short walks a day - perhaps there's a dog (neighbor's dog that you could offer to walk) that would love to get out during the day
  • Catch up on some great books (there's some great recommendations in the Lavender Room) - now that it is spring, you could even get outside to read and catch a little Vitamin D in the process.
  • Cook the recipes that you've always wanted to try but never had the time.
  • Catch up on sleep - even a quick 30 minute cat nap - I'd kill for that opportunity
  • Plan a summer weekend trip
  • Put together a collage of stretches/toning exercises you are going to do every day after your two week recovery period to help you get back into action
  • Spa day - mani/pedi/facial

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing NOTHING for 3 weeks and may for another week or so-I guess the 'good' thing is I am in too much pain to even think about doing anything!
Can't even concentrate to read. I am just at point I can sit at PC for a short while.
wated whole days watching crap daytime TV-wish I could have that time back-dont let that happen to you!
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Weeks, No Activity, Doctor's Orders [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow - what happened? Hope you're better soon.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Weeks, No Activity, Doctor's Orders [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
herniated disc.
Spent 2 weeks crawling to the bathroom, the times I made it there. SO much pain. Its better now after a steroid shot but not that much better.
Scary thing is I spent years doing tons of yoga, core, everything you are supposed to do for a healthy back. I woke up one day and could not walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get well!

-------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply