Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

all girls school
Quote | Reply
Any experiences or thoughts on all girls high school? Anyone attend one? I have an 8th grade daughter and we are considering it for her?
Quote Reply
Re: all girls school [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She will learn better in that environment, ceteres paribus.
Quote Reply
Re: all girls school [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't and wouldn't. The world is made of men and women. Let her learn how to function in a coed world while you are around to coach her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our son went to all boys and our daughter is going to coed.

My thoughts
* Your question is bigger than "all girls".
* As a general rule, same sex in high school can lead to greater bonding among classmates and have noticably less school time social distractions.
* the all girls school normally will have an all boys partner. Social life is not noticiably "less" but is differnt
* Every same sex school has a personality, a specialty. That needs to fit with your offspring. In our sons case it did. In our daughter, no way Jose. If it fits, there can be nothing better and vice-versa.
* IMHO It is better to start into these schools earlier and opt out if it does not fit, than to enter along the way.
* Same sex schools tend to have fewer students resulting in a different set of academic offerings, extra-ciricular activities and the rest.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to an all girls school starting in grade 7. It worked well for me. It was not a fit for my sister and she stuck with coed. I think it really depends on the kid. I had a hard time in elementary and going all girls, with a uniform and the whole bit, there was just a lot less stress, it was a fresh start.
Quote Reply
Re: all girls school [Honu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter spent a day at the school to see if she liked it. I was suprised that she really liked that it was all girs, with uniforms. No stress on boys being around and what to wear, etc. She mentioned that the girls seemed much more laid back without boys around as compared to her coed junior high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was transferred in at 6th grade and nearly 40 years later, am glad for the experience. All 36 of my classmates are still friends that I keep in touch with.

There is plenty of time to learn about boys / men. The individuality of character that can blossom under single-sex education is worth it if you can afford to give the opportunity to your daughter.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I attended one, but was active in my church, local youth group, and a coed scouting group throughout. I had many close friends at school, and also had a healthy group of male friends/peers. I went on to university with zero problems "playing nicely" with the boys in/outside of the classroom. Except for chicking. :)

Ireichman is right -- it's a coed world, and your daughter needs to be comfortable in a coed environment. That doesn't mean she needs to be in a coed environment 24/7. If she enjoys the feel of an all-girls school, let her chart her own path and go for it. If she does choose an all-girls school, make sure she has some good coed outside-of-school activities with guys her age.

http://konabound.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to one in high school (a very long time ago) and I loved it. It was an all girls Catholic High School, and not only did it help strengthen my faith, I have fond memories of it and had good friends. If I had to do it again I would have still gone to it. I went to coed college and medical school and did fine socially at both. As one of the ladies said above there usually is a boys school that is affiliated with the girls school which was the case for the school I attended and that was plenty to socialize with boys along with my church youth group and sports. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.
Quote Reply
Re: all girls school [bethbeast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One good thing about a normal high school is that you get to have to whole experience. The boarding schools girls somewhat lacks that. In my opinion, I think people have to relate with both sexes to feel comfortable and welcomed.

Last edited by: pattie: Apr 22, 11 1:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to an all-girls, non-demoninational high school. I started in the 8th grade and I thank my parents for it EVERY day! As other people said, it definitely depends on the girl but for me it was great. There was SO much less stress about what you were wearing or if you were "too smart" etc. All that middle and high school angst was greatly reduced (which is why my parents' opted to send me.)

As for interaction with boys... Our school had 3 or 4 "brother" schools so plenty of social opportunities. I went on to get my degree in structural engineering and I work in the construction management industry now. So I transitioned from an all-girls school to an extremely male-dominated career and have no issues. I believe that not having the social pressures of coed classes during high school when you are trying to figure out who you are is extremely valuable. I have a strong sense of who I am and what I want and I attribute that to my experiences at an all-girls school.
Quote Reply