Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Eating issues
Quote | Reply
Hi womens- I know that I am a bit of a lurker on the forums and not a regular poster, but I need your help and advice. I have a problem with peanut butter... since sept. I can't seem to have peanut butter around and not binge on it. I've found that if I just don't have it around I am fine, but every once in a while I cave into my cravings. I am frustrated with my behavior and would appreciate advice on how to stop myself and not give into my cravings!!!!!

http://evagifford.blogspot.ca/ --> my ramblings
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [mountain.runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE peanut butter. I don't see the problem here.:)

You should post this on the main forum. There are some serious PB junkies over there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's the only trigger food that causes the over-indulgence, no issue, don't be frustrated... just enjoy it. Just know when you have PB around, it's gonna go. Get and eat it. Done. No problem with that. If you have several other trigger foods that you over-indulge with too, then maybe think more about what's going on. For me, it's dried mangoes. They are so flipping expensive, like $20.00 a bag and I can eat them all day long... can't keep them in the house. Nothing wrong with peanut butter.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [perfcctionist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya it is the only food. But this just started occurring once I left home and moved out to uni. I don't know if its a deficiency in my diet (I'm celiac and uni meal plans aren't exactly my best friend), or some psychological trigger. I guess you are right though, everyone needs to indulge once in a while!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Pay attention to when you get the cravings. What have you eaten in the past few days? Are you low in fat or protein?
-Pay attention to the feelings when you crave it. Are you tired? Anxious? Stressed?
- Look for patterns in those two

More expensive, but buy it in the 1 serving packets. (Squeeze packets with 1 serving are sold around here). Or the JIF little "dipping cups." That is a compromise between NOT keeping it in the dorm, and keeping it in a safe quantity.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
substitute Nutella for peanut butter and I'm the same way. So I don't keep it in the house. I have very little self control when it comes to food. So it's not in the house. I frequently get up and look in my cupboards or freezer for junk food. Usually go to bed craving something.

I do love peanut butter too, and usually have a problem with it, but I started giving my dog pills using peanut butter and double dipping the spoon. Haven't had any since I did that. I bought almond butter for when I make a sandwich. I don't like almond butter straight up, but I'll put some on sliced apples if I have a craving for 'peanut' butter.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
substitute Nutella for peanut butter and I'm the same way. So I don't keep it in the house. I have very little self control when it comes to food. So it's not in the house. I frequently get up and look in my cupboards or freezer for junk food. Usually go to bed craving something.

I do love peanut butter too, and usually have a problem with it, but I started giving my dog pills using peanut butter and double dipping the spoon. Haven't had any since I did that. I bought almond butter for when I make a sandwich. I don't like almond butter straight up, but I'll put some on sliced apples if I have a craving for 'peanut' butter.

x2 on the nutella. if it's in the house i will literally eat it 24 hours a day. and i'll combine it with peanut butter, like a hazelnut reeses cup. makes me glad none of the stores near my apt sell it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found that natural peanut butter is slightly less "addictive" than regular PB. And non-salted or low-salt helps too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had to completely cut it out of my diet. I can't not it eat if it's in the house. Surprisingly when its not here I don't miss it...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all of the suggestions! I definitely think that it might be one of those foods that just can't be around me.
Tigerchick, I eat super healthy, but I do find that I am lacking protein etc, being on the limiting meal plan. Its hard to get quality food when its being prepared for the masses, and then comes the problem of gluten in it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be the exact same way- I could go through 2,000 calories of PB in a day easy. I think it was a stress trigger while in college. Stress= need food = need fatty salty food. Somehow eventually I "grew" out of it and it's in the pantry untouched. So there's hope it's temporary!
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:

You and me both. Give me a jar and a spoon :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think many of us have the same issues... its just so easy to indulge in that...i'm a PB and nutella junkie!!! but what may help is getting peanut butter in those small one portion size containers- so you can just eat one serving or two but not the entire jar? worth a try.

"What will you wear on your next race day"
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [runjotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem with peanut butter and I second the smaller portion suggestion. I think I could live on only peanut butter and never get tired of it. I never buy the peanut butters that are full of sugar that I grew up on. But when I'm at my parents house and there's a job of Peter Pan in the pantry... it's the first thing I reach for with a big spoon. I always buy natural or something like the smart balance peanut butter which even though I really like it, it's not as easy to OD on. But still... I manage to sometimes go so overboard with peanut butter I decided to stop buying it.

What I did find that I have really liked are the little peanut butter packets. They look like a condiment packet, only larger. The brand I got was "Justin's" because it was on sale at target 59 cents a packet... how could I pass that up? :) It's a nice alternative because it is in a single serving little packet that I can throw in my lunch box, keep in a purse, or just have handy. Plus, I stop and think about if I really want to eat it because I only bought about 5 or 6 and I don't want to "waste" the handy packet when I don't really need to eat it.

According to their website http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/shop.php you can find them at these retailers.

Hope this is helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [runjotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's the key, only have small portions around- so once its gone its gone! Things are much better, as I am making sure I am getting enough protein in my diet, which I think was severely lacking. Almost two weeks and no cravings!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a good thing you don't try nutella then. That's what does it for me, so I don't buy it often. Something I would recommend is putting it on celery and putting dried fruit on it. With nutella, I put dried cherries on it, and with peanut butter, I would do raisins, but I don't like PB.

I am also newly found to be gluten intolerant and it is getting worse. There should be a forum for dietary things so we can get valuable input from what other athletes in the same boat are doing.

SWIM BIKE RUN... I thought there was something to do when I got done with all that.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [bikeneil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree about more info for GF or celiac athletes! It would be a very valuable resource. Luckily Nutella has too much sugar and makes me sick, but I am finding that I can eat some PB in moderation if I have a balanced diet that I am cooking myself, an that is not a meal plan. There are many GF cooking blogs out there, but it would be great to have some type of resource for the athletes out there, with information on cooking and also just plain old nutrition for the average triathlete!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear you've been able to eat some in moderation :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this idea, a diet only forum. I have celiac and it was challenging at first but now second nature. There is a lot of bad and incorrect info out there.
Best short answer to you is READ labels, when in doubt, contact the company-esp for sports supplements. I went right off all gels, etc and eat natural food even in races...these PB packs are awesome for rides (so as not to totally hijack thread!)
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't like how expensive it is, and I love beer, too. This is just not ideal (as far as liking it goes, health wise, it is ideal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't have to be very $$$, esp if you avoid the processed GF foods (which arent that good for you anyway)...ah yes, beer. Redbridge is 'passable' but a real treat if you can find it is Green's beer-closest thing to a craft beer I've had. Now it's $$$ but well worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [charcran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE the Justin's packs!

They fit in my bike's bento box if I feel like I need real food on a ride, they go in my gym bag, in my purse if I'm going to be somewhere and might need a snack, and they do stop overindulgence since each pack is a single serving.

They've got almond butter Justin's, too.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Eating issues [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those sound great! But I've never seen that brand before. Is it only in America? I'm from Canada...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justin's will ship to canada from their website - Teags (from this site) in toronto just got some a few weeks ago.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I've switched to PB2. It's powdered peanuts with most of the fat removed, that you mix with water. A 2 Tbsp serving is only 45 calories and 1 gram of fat. If you eat it straight off the spoon you can definitely tell it's not peanut butter, but it's close enough to take care of the craving. If I eat it on something (banana, apple, in a sandwich, etc) I really don't think I could tell the difference. And it's awesome for mixing into things like plain greek yogurt or ice cream!
Quote Reply

Prev Next