Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay is still racing and kicking butt in the Carolina's. He's a rep for outdoor equipment and is a race director for some pretty brutal running races in and around Asheville. Class guy. He posts on here sometimes under Jager66.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Jay is still racing and kicking butt in the Carolina's. He's a rep for outdoor equipment and is a race director for some pretty brutal running races in and around Asheville. Class guy. He posts on here sometimes under Jager66.

Yup same guy I remember, nice as can be. Bananaman was in Auburn, AL. None of us knew who he was.....the sport was so green. No ST. No interwebz. No online race results. I do recall his pace was just under 5 minutes/mile for the opening run and uh, that as we say folks, was all she wrote.
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joel is an ortho surgeon here in Tucson. One of the founding members of the SW Hand Cycling Team.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I am not mistaken, Souza's Nishiki Altron was in name only. I recall that he had a ti bike, not available from Nishiki, but with appropriate sponsor decals & paint.

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On at least one occasion, it was Lance Armstrong! - Anaheim Ironman Duathlon 1989

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com

Dean Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

You forgot Frank Shorter.

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com

Dean Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think everyone was pretty staight laced compared to kenny. everyone out there covered their packages up while he let his loose!

joel, brent and I are here in Az still trying to keep it somewhat lean. joel rides quite a bit and brent is still turning the cranks. we are still straight laced and we understand kenny is touring with motley crue and will perform in tucson the same week as Tucson Bike Classic!

thanks for the trip down memory lane. "f'' kenny and lets make some more memories!
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first du was the Coors Light race in Chicago '88. Great venue, transition on lower Wacker Drive, up the ramp to ride on Lake Shore Drive.

Who was the woman dominating the series about that same time, maybe into the early 90's?
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [QRNub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was also kenny souza...
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good one PT

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, now I've got to wipe coffee off my screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [QRNub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to Slowman's list, Liz Downing and Maddy Tormoen were the two I remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember George P. For a big guy, he could run, powerful on the bike. Saw him a few times at the Desert Princess Du in Palm Springs....I hear it was a bad thing the guy couldnt swim well.

I wonder happened to him?
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I miss those days too, what happened to kill the sport anyway?"

hey, greg klein's bringing the desert princess back. who said the sport is dead?

PT, you up for a little DP next winter?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liz Downing?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seem to remember Shane Cleveland having some type of revolutionary aerodynamic bike- more so than a Hooker. Perhaps a Trimble?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
George has been in Management Consulting (I think) since before his Duathlon days; pretty sure he's in the Bay area. From what I can tell he has stayed really fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add Gary Souverein to the list. I know he got a 3rd place behind Souza and Tobin at Coors Light Denver one year.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Who was Ken Souza's straight laced nemisis in the 1980's? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember the BananaMan in Auburn, I won it the first year or two that they held it when it was really more of just a club get together back around 87 or so. Charlie Crawford's (ex) wife used to make all kinds of post race snacks all involving bananas.
I used to race again Jay quite a bit back in those days when I was living in Mobile. Funniest thing I ever saw him do, one year leaving the transition for the 2nd run at the Dannon Fort Walton Beach race jay was running 20 yards ahead of me and tripped on his own shoe lace and took a big tumble. We had a good laugh over that.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the race in Anahiem was actually a year or two ahead of when I started doing du's. I think they were in Anahiem, then Santa Fe NM, then Pheonix. Phoenix was the first year I did CL Nationals. There used to also be a National Championship race in Ontario that I did one year, maybe 1990? Kenny won it of course. I think I was 9th or 10th.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy smokes Mike Plumb! And I was there one of those years you won it too. I think you were packing your car when I went out for my 2nd run;) Bastard! Do you still run like a gazelle?

If you get really hungry for some of that banana bread I still have the recipe on the original piece of paper I wrote it on in Charlie's kitchen!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could still run close to what I used too. Baack then it was low 30's/high 29 minute 10kms. Now I'd be happy breaking 40 minutes ;-) A couple of knee surgeries and 20 years of high mileage has taken a toll. But I never give up trying. I sure miss all the fun races and great people in the SE!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello to that. 2x left knee 1x right knee(combo's of ACL, MCL and both medial meniscus). I soooooo regret hammering big gears and 70 rpm's. My ego cost me a longer run at triathlon, but oh well cycling rocks too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so ture. I have gotten back into the bike racing more now. Still doing the multisports, just a bit slower.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was Joel Thompson- anyone got a picture of that rad 24 inch wheel Holland that he rode for a while?
Quote Reply

Prev Next