Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's the "virtual" CdA and Crr of the LeMond Revolution? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Hehehe...I actually was going to put that at the end of the post, but forgot. Thanks!
Wasn't it cool that when we zoomed in on the acceleration parts we could see that the VE was countercyclical, and that chopping the mass in half made it cyclical? Stuff like that makes me shake my head.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the "virtual" CdA and Crr of the LeMond Revolution? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Hehehe...I actually was going to put that at the end of the post, but forgot. Thanks!

Wasn't it cool that when we zoomed in on the acceleration parts we could see that the VE was countercyclical, and that chopping the mass in half made it cyclical? Stuff like that makes me shake my head.

I'm agog at how cool it was ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What's the "virtual" CdA and Crr of the LeMond Revolution? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lot easier than mounting that thing on the edge of the football stadium at UT-Austin and watching that flywheel accelerate as you drop weights off the side.

[Edit:] Not that dropping big heavy weights off the side of a tall structure doesn't have a certain appeal all its own.
Last edited by: RChung: Feb 11, 11 21:51
Quote Reply
Re: What's the "virtual" CdA and Crr of the LeMond Revolution? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Lot easier than mounting that thing on the edge of the football stadium at UT-Austin and watching that flywheel accelerate as you drop weights off the side.

[Edit:] Not that dropping big heavy weights off the side of a tall structure doesn't have a certain appeal all its own.

That almost sounds like it could be an episode of "Mythbusters" ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:
I thought this was the most interesting thread in the past week or two...

Lemond is selling their "Power Pilot" for, what, $400+? With Tom's info, you can print out the cadence-gear-power combos on an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper and scotch tape it to the wall. Send 10% of the savings to Tom.

Sorry, but I am just not seeing it. Show me a nice 2D graph of speed vs power and I will agree. Or, help me understand how to use this since I would very much like to have power data available and currently do something similar using an old KK trainer that my wife keeps stealing...

Thanks, Brian

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Re: What's the "virtual" CdA and Crr of the LeMond Revolution? [osugasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
osugasman wrote:
RChung wrote:
Lemond is selling their "Power Pilot" for, what, $400+? With Tom's info, you can print out the cadence-gear-power combos on an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper and scotch tape it to the wall. Send 10% of the savings to Tom.

Sorry, but I am just not seeing it. Show me a nice 2D graph of speed vs power and I will agree.

I've derived it from the info in Tom's graph, as I'm considering buying one of these trainers myself, and I needed to know the power at 25mph to know what power output DCRainmaker's video of the noise corresponds to. So to save everyone else having to work it out, here it is:

v (kph) p (W)
10 16
11 19
12 22
13 25
14 29
15 33
16 37
17 42
18 48
19 53
20 60
21 67
22 74
23 82
24 91
25 100
26 110
27 121
28 132
29 144
30 157
31 171
32 185
33 201
34 217
35 234
36 253
37 272
38 292
39 313
40 336
41 359
42 383
43 409
44 436
45 464
46 493
47 523
48 555

The formula to use in Excel is
=((B5/3.6)*(B5/3.6)*0.21+4.27)*(B5/3.6)
where B5 contains the speed in kph.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the "virtual" CdA and Crr of the LeMond Revolution? [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, just to understand this last post - you're saying for example:

v (kph) p (W)

20 60
25 100
30 157

I.e - that spinning at 25kph (15.5mph) - you're putting out just 100 watts of power?

Ifso, with the benefit of a Wattbox connected to an Edge 810, this doesn't seem to be correct - if, for example, I was spinning on my LeMond Revolution in a 42/14 gear at about 85 rpm, I'd be cruising along at around 15-16 mph. My computer would be reading a wattage output of approx 125-130W

If I were to put in an effort of say a 35kph (21.8mph), I'd be aiming for around 200-210W of output power.

40kph (24.9mph) would be around 250-260W (not 336 as in the table).
Quote Reply
Re: What's the "virtual" CdA and Crr of the LeMond Revolution? [rjsdavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That table was derived from Tom A's data, rather than being what I've found is needed. I have since then purchased a Lemond myself, and some example figures for speed vs power are:
100W 25.8kph
165W 31.4kph
240W 36.2kph
260W 37.3kph
350W 41.8kph
414W 44.4kph

Those are SRM power figures, the Wattbox reads a few Watts higher. It took several months for mine to become "run in" to reach those speeds at the given power figures, but it has been stable at the same level for several months now.

The temperature according to the Garmin is generally around 16C where I train, so perhaps you train in a higher temperature and the lower air density makes yours spin faster? Or maybe you live significantly above sea level?
Last edited by: Steve Irwin: Dec 1, 14 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: What's the "virtual" CdA and Crr of the LeMond Revolution? [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
That table was derived from Tom A's data, rather than being what I've found is needed. I have since then purchased a Lemond myself, and some example figures for speed vs power are:
100W 25.8kph
165W 31.4kph
240W 36.2kph
260W 37.3kph
350W 41.8kph
414W 44.4kph

Those are SRM power figures, the Wattbox reads a few Watts higher. It took several months for mine to become "run in" to reach those speeds at the given power figures, but it has been stable at the same level for several months now.

The temperature according to the Garmin is generally around 16C where I train, so perhaps you train in a higher temperature and the lower air density makes yours spin faster? Or maybe you live significantly above sea level?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
100W 25.8kph
165W 31.4kph
240W 36.2kph
260W 37.3kph
350W 41.8kph
414W 44.4kph

Appreciate the reply.

I'm training in a utility room and the temperature as reported by the Garmin was 19C. Also, I'm virtually at sea level, living just 1.5 miles from the coast of the North Sea in Kent.

I happened to do a session on the LeMond last night, and was getting the following:

18mph / 29kph - 140W
19mph / 30.5kph - 160W
20mph / 32kph - 180W
21mph / 33.7kph - 210W
22mph / 35.4kph - 240W

so it was roughly jumping up in 20W jumps upto 20mph, and roughly 30W thereafter. We seem to be a little closer than I thought we were previously....

(at least that seems to suggest that my Wattbox & Edge 810 are reporting ok) - I did find, for the first time that I've noticed, that on occasion and for periods of upto 10/15 seconds, the speed reported on the Edge would drop down to 10% of what it actually was, despite all other data like power and cadence remaining consistent and correct - figured it was temporary interference of some kind, or could this mean that the transmission batteries in the Wattbox are on the wain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Steve Irwin wrote:
100W 25.8kph
165W 31.4kph
240W 36.2kph
260W 37.3kph
350W 41.8kph
414W 44.4kph

Those differences are probably due to differences in belt wear/tension between the units.

It's for that reason that a coastdown procedure to calibrate that out was implemented into the original Power Pilot. I was disappointed to find out that this was not carried over into the Watt Box product.

Quote Reply

Prev Next