Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nicotine and athletic performance
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any good studies they have found correlating nicotine to athletic performance? NOT smoking, but strictly alternative nicotine delivery systems.
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [KssanDR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't cite any sources so everything I say will be immediately considered bullshit on this forum. That said...

Nicotine is a known vaso-constrictor. This means you blood pressure will rise with the introduction of nicotine in your system. This also means that you heart will have to work harder to get an equivalent amount of oxygen to your muscles.

Ironically, when I enter "nicotine athletic performance" I get a whole LOT of interesting search results. Maybe you should give it a shot...

http://www.google.com/...athletic+performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st... The vaso constrictor argument is bullshit, any CNS is a vaso constrictor (caffeine). Its a proven ergogenic aid, just look at the studies

2nd... Nicotine is not linked to cancer! Only tobacco is linked to cancer!

Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [PIGsmasher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fell into a bad habit with camel snus...it's very easy to do , anywhere, even out running and riding...it makes you feel great..you don't have to spit,,.but it it very very addictive. at least to me. I've been doing it a year and a half, and my gums are receding, and I 'm using the patch now to try to get off of it.
I'm thinking about using wellbutrin to get off of it, because nicitone is nicotine...

don't use nicotine..it's not worth it...

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [Smilin' Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are using nicotine as a performance enhancer i would say 2-8mg would be ideal, 8mg delivered through a patch over 6+ hours, 2-4mg for shorter stuff. nicotine has a very short half life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PIGsmasher wrote:
1st... The vaso constrictor argument is bullshit

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had very vivid dreams with the patch. Miss them in fact. I was cheep would cut patches in half for lesser dose to save money. That was a long time ago. Never stop quiting till you stop.

Good luck thom

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you ready to be drug tested for what you claim is an athletic performance item? Better yet, tell us the masking agents for nicotine so you and others can themselves up before performance events. Cheaters anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I chew nicotine gum as a study aid, use the patch for exams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A formally trained medical professional may have a learned perspective on this.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Are you ready to be drug tested for what you claim is an athletic performance item? Better yet, tell us the masking agents for nicotine so you and others can themselves up before performance events. Cheaters anyone?

Billy boy... it is not on any banned list that i've seen. do you drink coffee? maybe you're the cheat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there is a gray area as to what is an acceptable PED and what is cheating. I would vote (if I had a vote) that any addictive substance is probably NOT a good thing. Just my opinion.
No, I am not a coffee drinker. Yes, my wife is addicted to caffeine but does not compete.
Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah...go ahead and try it. You put a nicotine patch on and you will be keeled over vomiting if you go hard. That's as stupid as stupid!
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [JPatterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, I never even hinted as to using nicotine as an athletic performance enhancer. Apparently the hyper-sensitive doping atmosphere is in full effect. I am simply curious as if using nicotine on a regular basis will negatively impact athletic performance \ muscle recovery and repair. Yes, I can google scholar and pub med search. Nicotine studies almost always are referring to smoking and its hardly ever apparent from the title. I guess next time my question should be rather wordy as not let everyones imaginations run wild. Digging through thousands of articles obviously at this point in the thread would be more beneficial than wasting time with this mess. I should know better.
thanks!
Last edited by: KssanDR: Jan 25, 11 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks THom - I have some very interesting dreams too I quite enjoy them..:-)

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the snus or dip, don't waste your time with nicotine patches or drugs, just stop doing it. You won't get sick, you won't gain weight, unless you start other bad habits to replace it of course. Every time you crave it, go for a run or do 100 push-ups if you can't just use will-power. You'll crave it for a week then it'll be gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good enough for the Lion King!

Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dongustav wrote:
Regarding the snus or dip, don't waste your time with nicotine patches or drugs, just stop doing it. You won't get sick, you won't gain weight, unless you start other bad habits to replace it of course. Every time you crave it, go for a run or do 100 push-ups if you can't just use will-power. You'll crave it for a week then it'll be gone.

Assuming you aren't psychologically addicted addicted to nicotine, then yes what you describe is accurate to break the physical addiction. However, for the other half that are psychologically addicted your advice won't hold up past about 2 days. Push-ups don't short circuit the lizard brain dopamine cycle central to addiction and these people will now just be really tired and still craving nicotine.

Addiction is not a "will power" issue. If your experience is that it is then you have never been psychologically addicted to a substance. In many cases addiction is a matter of life long management and this is the single highest risk to using nicotine as a PED, even if it is transdermal or in a gum/losenge.

And before you even think for one second you are going to fly the "you're full of shit" flag on me I'll tell you this... I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for over 20 years. I tried several and failed several times to quit using your silly "push up" method. It took months of prescription medications (with their own side effects) along with counseling and group therapy to learn to manage my life without nicotine. I haven't smoked a cigarette in over a year and I still crave nicotine daily. I'm just in a better position to manage it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [psyopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, i didn't mean to offend you but obviously I've struck a nerve. I've never heard of psychological addiction... I do know that nicotine is physically addictive, i know it first-hand for 10 years and was able to go cold turkey. I'm sorry your experience was different than mine, but please don't fly the "you're full of shit" flag on me & call my experience "silly" lest you allow me to call your experience "weak."

Regardless of what will or won't work for individual people, I'd highly recommend that someone try doing it cold-turkey first before relying on patches, gum & drugs to bail them out.
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for real?!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"wow, i didn't mean to offend you but obviously I've struck a nerve."

correct me if i'm misunderstanding, but, we have a thread started here by a guy who's looking to continue on the path of kicking his nicotine habit - a good thing i think we can all agree - and he's asking this group for an answer to a specific question.

i don't think you struck a nerve. i think the nerve was struck much earlier in the thread by those whose comments sound like they're in dire need of a couple of deep drags themselves.

perhaps rather than playing amateur substance abuse counselors, we can simply answer the fellow's question. in my case, i'm choosing not answer the question, because, i don't know the answer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the only study I am aware of:

Exp Physiol.[/url] 2006 Jul;91(4):705-13. Epub 2006 Apr 20.
Effect of transdermal nicotine administration on exercise endurance in men.
Mündel T, Jones DA.
Human Performance Laboratory, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK. t.mundel@bham.ac.uk
Abstract
Nicotine is widely reported to increase alertness, improve co-ordination and enhance cognitive performance; however, to our knowledge there have been no attempts to replicate these findings in relation to exercise endurance. The purpose of this study was to determine the effects nicotine might have on cycling endurance, perception of exertion and a range of physiological variables. With local ethics committee approval and having obtained informed consent, 12 healthy, non-smoking men (22 +/- 3 years; maximal O2 uptake, 56 +/- 6 ml kg(-1) min(-1), mean +/- s.d.) cycled to exhaustion at 18 degrees C and 65% of their peak aerobic power, wearing either a 7 mg transdermal nicotine patch (NIC) or a colour-matched placebo (PLA) in a randomized cross-over design; water was available ad libitum. Subjects were exercising at approximately 75% of their maximal O2 uptake with no differences in cadence between trials. Ten out of 12 subjects cycled for longer with NIC administration, and this resulted in a significant 17 +/- 7% improvement in performance (P < 0.05). No differences were observed for perceived exertion, heart rate or ventilation. There were no differences in concentrations of plasma glucose, lactate or circulating fatty acids. In the absence of any effect on peripheral markers, we conclude that nicotine prolongs endurance by a central mechanism. Possible modes of action are suggested.
PMID: 16627574

I spent about 5 minutes on pub med and didn't find anything else.

Andy

ADDENDUM: it was taking a while to load, but the article is available free here:

http://ep.physoc.org/content/91/4/705.long

there are other references that seem pertinent, but they are old.

Andy
Last edited by: AndyPeterson: Jan 25, 11 17:45
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [psyopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Assuming you aren't psychologically addicted addicted to nicotine, then yes what you describe is accurate to break the physical addiction. However, for the other half that are psychologically addicted your advice won't hold up past about 2 days. Push-ups don't short circuit the lizard brain dopamine cycle central to addiction and these people will now just be really tired and still craving nicotine.

Addiction is not a "will power" issue. If your experience is that it is then you have never been psychologically addicted to a substance. In many cases addiction is a matter of life long management and this is the single highest risk to using nicotine as a PED, even if it is transdermal or in a gum/losenge.

And before you even think for one second you are going to fly the "you're full of shit" flag on me I'll tell you this... I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for over 20 years. I tried several and failed several times to quit using your silly "push up" method. It took months of prescription medications (with their own side effects) along with counseling and group therapy to learn to manage my life without nicotine. I haven't smoked a cigarette in over a year and I still crave nicotine daily. I'm just in a better position to manage it now.

Sorry psyopper (and Slowman since I'm continuing this), but addiction is a "will power" issue. If you haven't smoked in a year and aren't still on your prescription meds, then I would say that qualifies as will power to still not be smoking? With or without counseling and group therapy, you're disproving your own point. Maybe just take some credit for your success! :-)

At any rate, I think this is a great topic for hopefully SOMEONE who knows something to chime into. Does a nicotine patch or chew or nicotine gum effect the way you'd perform the next day at a race?? We have enough lawyers on this damn forum... where are the Dr's? (And I'm talking about the REAL Dr's... who practice medicine, not the Dr's with an English degree).

Quote | Reply
I met one triathlete years ago that was a former smoker and rinker (spent lots of time in bars). He has a scare (heart attack), and decided to repalce one additction with another. He repalced with cigarette and alcohol additction with triathlons. In the end, he had more time to spend wiht his family, and even with an expensive bike and gear, he had more money in his pocket. His wife and kids were supprotive because triathlons was a much more healthy addiction. It probably saved his life.

I thoght it was a great story.

I'm hardly and expert and my only addiction has been food. I simply suggest focusing on your training to relieve stress and manage your additiction combined with other methods. The more focused i am on training, the better job I do of managing my diet and staying closer to a good race weight.

Best of luck!

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nicotine and athletic performance [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:

Nicotine is not a banned substance for either the NCAA or WADA programs.

Andy
Quote Reply

Prev Next