Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retro TT stuff [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When Huffy owned Raleigh I am pretty sure they had Mike Melton (sp?) making frames for them. Like Tom Kellog was making bikes with the Ross name on them at one point in the 80's. The big mass market USA bike companies were hiring frame builders to do quality work, hoping that the brands could capture sales--sort of what Trek did with the USPS bikes the 1st year Lance won the tour (hint made in Tennessee).

Hank Otero-Iglesias
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [hankotero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to some more info on frame builders for the USA team bikes
http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/.../26/mike-melton.html

Hank Otero-Iglesias
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any data on why the lotus didnt test so well?

What was the difference between SB1 and SB2 again?

SB2 was no toptube?

More interestingly, the windtunnel data Cervelo released/leaked showed that the Lotus was faster than a P3C and the Felt DA.

So, the Hooker is faster than a P3C?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here are a few old pics. Lets see if anyone knows the old guy?
Last edited by: GeraldR: Dec 22, 10 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [GeraldR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, the old ProTech Mirage....the helmet that was more deadly than no helmet! Very cool pics.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyone have any data on why the lotus didnt test so well?

According to Jim Martin, the Lotus was tested using different handlebars, and thus fared poorly.

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/kdpc04.jpg[/img]

Quote:
What was the difference between SB1 and SB2 again?

SB2 was no toptube?

Lots of differences...the SB1 was an aluminum bike similar to the Hooker, whereas the SB2 was a composite 'V' frame.

Quote:
More interestingly, the windtunnel data Cervelo released/leaked showed that the Lotus was faster than a P3C and the Felt DA.

So, the Hooker is faster than a P3C?

Although it wasn't a true apples-to-apples comparison, my wife's P3C had less drag than my old Hooker.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Although it wasn't a true apples-to-apples comparison, my wife had less drag than my old Hooker.

wat!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GeraldR wrote:
Lets see if anyone knows the old guy?

Is that Chet Kyle? The bike looks like his helicopter-strut-tubing prototype upon which Hooker based their design.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the front brake looks like a modolo kronos. No?

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Yes it is Chet Kyle. He lived down the road from me in Northern California and pulled out this prototype bike one day to do some testing between it and my bike back in 1988. If I recall correctly the bike was made sometime around 82-83.
Last edited by: GeraldR: Dec 22, 10 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Another view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GeraldR wrote:
Yes it is Chet Kyle. He lived down the road from me in Northern California and pulled out this prototype bike one day to do some testing between it and my bike back in 1988. If I recall correctly the bike was made sometime around 82-83.

The bike and aerobars are from 82-83??? The helmet is from the late 80s and the first scott dh//boone lennon aerobars weren't around until 87 or so...
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlinenb wrote:
GeraldR wrote:

The bike and aerobars are from 82-83??? The helmet is from the late 80s and the first scott dh//boone lennon aerobars weren't around until 87 or so...

Yes, I stand corrected. I have those dates way off. Took a look at the back of the pics and they are date stamped Aug 90. Went back and looked in old training logs and made the comment that he had worked on the bike as a test for the Olympic team. Not sure which years team it would have been for, the bike was in his garage and covered in dust. Bars could have been added at a later time maybe.

Edited: Here is an article from 84: http://www.people.com/.../0,,20088394,00.html So it looks like for the 84 team and bars put on at a later date.
Last edited by: GeraldR: Dec 22, 10 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

ebay link

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a great race angle, your bike has to be pre-XXXX to be able to enter. Kind of like the Wooden Golf Stick tourneys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hooker frame patent:
http://www.google.com/...bout?id=t9t7AAAAEBAJ

Visiontech integrated aerobar:
http://www.google.com/...ge&q&f=false

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [tsmagnum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tsmagnum wrote:
Does anyone have/remember the aerobar seat belt? I'm sure someone on ST still has one or has a photo. I looked everywhere but could not find a picture to post. I had one on my old Tri bike. My bike was a Vitus 979, Shimano 600 SIS, Scott Bars, Aerolite pedals, Campy aero bottle and my Aerodyne helmet. I was everything hated by the cycling roadies in the 80's. =)

I remember Mark Allen raced Kona with one. Come to think of it, there may be a pic in his book. I'll have to dig that out.

If I remember correctly, one country used them in the Olympics.
This one?

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Transition3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If memory serves, it was the Italian TTT at the 88? Olympics that used the anchor cable - attached to the top of the steerer tube, a cable ran to a belt around the riders waist. The theory was that this could be used as a leverage point, allowing the rider to increase the force on the pedals. I recall seeing a variant of this cable setup for sale at a local bike shop. Never saw anyone actually using it.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
campled wrote:
Back in '86, after Lemonds dramatic 8sec TDF win, I was intrigued with Fignon's System U helmet.
Without much CF fabricators then, I moulded one looking at Fignon's TT pics using plastic & paper mache'.
Then I had a local fiberglass guy make the helmet.
Added my own styro & foam inserts and straps (god help me if I crashed).
Made my own decals.
Would be nice to use in the next local TT or TTT but they probably won't let me.

Does that say bullet in Russian?

Just not sure why there is an accent above the y.

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was called the "seat leash". Scott also had some struts that ran from the drops to the fork to stabilize/stiffen the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transition3 wrote:
This one?

I'd hate to wreck with that thing on but I bet it worked well. There used to be a seat with a similar premise. Something by Concor, I think. Can't find it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [justinl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinl wrote:

I'd hate to wreck with that thing on but I bet it worked well. There used to be a seat with a similar premise. Something by Concor, I think. Can't find it now.

It was basically a high back seat that acted as both a fairing and a leverage point. Thierry Marie used it to win the prologue in the '91 TdF.

Also check out the integrated aero bars. Pretty cutting edge stuff back in 91.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That same seat and bar made it on page one. What I was thinking of wasn't aero equipment but just a seat with a big upsweep of the tail that the rider could brace their arse against and really bear down. That is neither here nor there, actually. Just talking...
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar yet unrelated is this pic of Fiorenzo Magni in the Giro 1956 after breaking his collar bone. If you read the entire story you will see that he is the king of HTFU.

taken from http://bikeraceinfo.com/oralhistory/magni.html

FM: During stage 12, from Grosseto to Livorno, I crashed on the descent out of Volterra and broke my left collarbone. At the hospital they said I should put on a plaster cast and quit. But I didn't want to. Since the next day was a rest day, I told the doctor to do nothing and that we should wait and see. The day after I asked the doctor to put on an elastic bandage instead of a cast because I wanted to try to ride the following stage, Livorno to Lucca. It worked! I wasn't among the first riders but I finished.
VP: There is the famous picture of your riding holding a piece of inner tube in your mouth during the 13th stage, the individual time trial of San Luca. Can you explain?
FM: Just before the stage started I tried to ride my bike on a climb and I noticed I couldn't use the muscles of my left arm to pull on the handle bar very hard. So my mechanic, Faliero Masi, the best mechanic of all time, cut a piece of inner tube and suggested I pull it with my mouth. That was a great idea!
VP: Then, during stage 16, from Bologna to Rapallo, through the Apennines, you crashed again and broke your humerus.
FM: Yes, I didnt have enough strength in my left arm and I crashed after hitting a ditch by the road. I fell on my already broken bone and fainted from the pain. The ambulance came to bring me to the hospital. In the ambulance they gave me water and I got back on my feet. When I realized that I was being taken to the hospital I screamed and told the driver to stop. I didn't want to abandon the Giro!
I mounted my bike again and restarted pedaling. The peloton had waited for me, so I arrived in Rapallo in a relatively good position. I had no idea of how serious my condition was, I just knew that I was in a lot of pain but I didn't want to have X-rays that evening. During the days that followed I could hold my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transition3 wrote:
tsmagnum wrote:
Does anyone have/remember the aerobar seat belt? I'm sure someone on ST still has one or has a photo. I looked everywhere but could not find a picture to post. I had one on my old Tri bike. My bike was a Vitus 979, Shimano 600 SIS, Scott Bars, Aerolite pedals, Campy aero bottle and my Aerodyne helmet. I was everything hated by the cycling roadies in the 80's. =)

I remember Mark Allen raced Kona with one. Come to think of it, there may be a pic in his book. I'll have to dig that out.

If I remember correctly, one country used them in the Olympics.

This one?

Triathlete mag did an article on this piece of equipment in 87 or 88. They called it a "time trial tether". I could never find one for sale. Triathlete made the claim that it really did work, but it was very sensitive to the proper length of the wire and the specific attachment points.
Quote Reply

Prev Next