Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cobb-DRT saddles
Quote | Reply
I saw the SHC-DRT advertised in BICYCLING mag, saw the DRT-PLUS (or is it PLUS-DRT) on the Cobb-drt.com website.
Has anyone used either of these? How did you like them, or it? What is difference between these and the respective (and similar) road and Tri saddles on cobbcycling.com?

I'm not entirely happy with the WTB saddle on my MTB, so I'm curious about these.

I'm hoping that John will chime in here.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docfuel wrote:
I saw the SHC-DRT advertised in BICYCLING mag, saw the DRT-PLUS (or is it PLUS-DRT) on the Cobb-drt.com website.
Has anyone used either of these? How did you like them, or it? What is difference between these and the respective (and similar) road and Tri saddles on cobbcycling.com?

I'm not entirely happy with the WTB saddle on my MTB, so I'm curious about these.

I'm hoping that John will chime in here.

I have one, but I have not been able to use it yet.

The design is very similar to my past Cobb Cycling seat but... this one will sure stand better the harsher treatment I give to my mountain bike seats.

The reason I had to buy this seat is that I lent a MTB friend of mine the V-Flow Plus that I had on my MTB. He rode it for a week and came back warning me that I was not going to get it back... so I had to buy a new seat.

I can ride if I need to in most any of the well known brands of seats, but if given a choice I will only ride on Cobb Cycling seats. Now that they have covered all the bike seat spectrum this is more of a sure thing.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muchicimas Gracias, Sergio.

Is the the DRT-Plus essentially a beefer version of the V-flow Plus?
and the SHC-DRT a beefier version of the SHC 170?

BTW, do you have one of the SHCs for your road bike?

Please post when you get a chance to try out the DRT in the dirt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
docfuel wrote:
Muchicimas Gracias, Sergio.

Is the the DRT-Plus essentially a beefer version of the V-flow Plus?
and the SHC-DRT a beefier version of the SHC 170?

BTW, do you have one of the SHCs for your road bike?

Please post when you get a chance to try out the DRT in the dirt.

I have not held the SHC-DRT in my hands, but it seems to me that the Plus DRT is not a beefier (noticeable heavier or with more padding) but a more crash and element resistant saddle than the V-Flow Plus. Both saddles are very similar but at this time I do not have my (well my ex) V-Flow Plus at hand to check them side by side.

I also have a new SHC on my road bike but I was hit by the flu, have also been extremely busy and have not been able to ride it. I will soon I am sure. I really liked the SHC. I am light enough to use the HC but I will leave that one to my 17 year old son. In all but the steepest challenges I think that the SHC will be my new all around road seat, particularly on my longer rides. I could understand if heavier riders would opt for the V-Flow Plus as it is definitelly a bit more comfortable, but the SHC feels just great to me.

Below a pic of my Plus DRT.

I am not sure what the side protecting material is made of, but it looks good enough for many, many dirt crashes.

Best wishes,

Sergio

Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sergio thanks for the insight into these new saddles. A few questions:

Could I use the drt-plus in place of the plus TT saddle if I wanted to?

Is the material such that it would catch on tri clothing at all?

Does it seem to be the same feel as the regular plus?

I need A new seat for my TT bike but don't like the look of the current Cobb saddles and John said the new design won't be out til fall.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [simpy16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The material cover on the DRT Plus is the same as the road model Plus saddle. I added Kevlar to the rear to help with the crash protection. The DRT series of saddles [Plus and SHC] use a slightly different foam but the seat rails are the same materials. So far, the Cyclecross crowd is really taking to the SHC seats.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [simpy16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would give this seat a try. It has many attributes to make it a good TT saddle. Then remember you have Cobb's 180 days to send it back an try another one if it is not exacty what you were looking for.

Sergio

Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [John Cobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, John. For steep MTB climbing, would one of the DRT saddles be preferable to the other?

Also, for hilly road rides with long descents in the drops, would the plus be a better choice or one of the SHCs?
And lastly (sorry!), are either of the SHC road saddles more similar to the Arione, which is what my road bike has on it currently?

I'm just curious why you put the DRT saddles on a separate website? Is the MTB crowd that separatist?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SHC DRT model is the one I would primarily use but for riders that do 5+hr. rides even with dual suspension, the Plus is a real butt saver. The SHC is dimensionally very close to the Arione on the front half and that is making it very popular with the triathletes as well as MTB riders. I thought I would do a seperate sight for the DRT line, both sites do interlink very easily. I have no real good reasoning for it except that I wanted the MTB crowd to know that this was not some after thought and that I am serious about the MTB market amd other products that will be coming along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I hope it's going well with Cobb Cycling.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its great when an owner comments on forums. Thanks John!!! I just purchased the Cobb PLus DRT Saddle. And am very pumped about riding on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got mine (DRT-Plus) about a month ago. My mtb (rigid 9er) is my commuter and my trail bike. This is the best saddle I have ever used. I have had the WTB, Fizik, Specialized, etc. saddles on my bike and the Cobb definitely makes a difference for me. Until now I was the guy who was perpetually searching for "the" saddle. I think I have found it.

Riding my bike on the road, "the boys" would sometimes get numb. Nothing major that getting up and shifting wouldn't resolve but I've had none of that so far with the Cobb. Very comfy saddle that disappears under you.

I ride all kinds of terrain (rock gardens with drop offs, fire road w/gravel, singletrack, rooty trails, etc) and haven't worried about catching the saddle on my shorts whether I am wearing baggies or bibs. I have also had a couple of good spills out on the trail and the saddle has held up well.

With the 180 day money back guarantee there is little risk. I also believe Cobb is currently running a "free shipping" special (sorry I missed out on that one) right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [OnThaCouch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had one on my Salsa Fargo for some time now. It's great. I ride on the flatter areas with my rear just off the back, but I can slide up to the middle or the front depending on the steepness of the trail.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two DRT Pluses and a reglar Plus....DRTs on my Cross and Mtb bikes and the regular Plus on a roller bike. When it comes to fit and feel they are the same as far as I can tell. I have been riding for over 25 years and the Plus line of Cobb Saddles is my absolute favorite ever. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode this wknd with my NEW Cobb Plus DRT. I did not wear padded shorts nor needed to. Absolutely amazing saddle!!!!! PAD FREE!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,

considering making the switch from long time Fizik Arione Tri2 to a Cobb saddle.

tried the SHC today, liked it. Seems a tad wider at the nose, where I ride, which I really liked. Love the cutout when sitting up and climbing.

only thing, I really miss the padding of the Tri2... is the SHC-DRT a more padded version of the SHC?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it has the same padding but has a Kevlar cover for more durability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this back up.

Just to confirm, SHC DRT saddles would be perfectly suitable for road and TT bike use?

Also, there are a lot of new SHC DRT saddles listed for very reasonable prices on ebay. Too good to be true perhaps?
Last edited by: echappist: Oct 3, 20 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203126213373

The logo stitching looks to be second quality and didn't pass QA, but $24.99 with free shipping is hard to pass up.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just wondering if there's something else off about that saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Cobb and ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I have some of the DRT saddles on my cross and moutain bikes, since I use them on my road bikes, I wanted a similar feel off road.

They're identical, other than (I believe) the materials are a bit "tougher" on the DRT line.

A couple months back on Ebay, there was a lot of them (100 or 200) for sale. I assume whoever bought them is selling them off on the cheap now. I picked up a couple recently for a couple new bikes. They're the same quality as my ones from the bike shop, maybe as mentioned they're some factory 2nds that got sold off.

For $25-30, they're a no-brainer. I don't like the SHC style as much, but the Plus is my favorite saddle on any bike, road, tri, or dirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

I have used the SHC once. Actually wasn't too bad, but my position was too aggressive, and the first thing that went was the saddle (back to a V-Flow Plus). Except the position was still way too aggressive, and I had to make corresponding changes. In retrospect, should have made the changes and waited to see if discomfort on the SHC went away.

Lately, the V-Flow Plus has been annoying me quite a bit (feels a tad wide and get a lot of fabric chafing), and I'm hoping the narrower SHC might work better.

At $30-40 a piece, def a no brainer to try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Bumping this back up.

Just to confirm, SHC DRT saddles would be perfectly suitable for road and TT bike use?

Also, there are a lot of new SHC DRT saddles listed for very reasonable prices on ebay. Too good to be true perhaps?
TT? Not likely.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb-DRT saddles [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
echappist wrote:
Bumping this back up.

TT? Not likely.

Out of curiosity, would you say the same thing re: V-Flow Plus? I used a V-Flow Plus on my TT bike the first year I had the bike, although I didn't like it that much (swapped to JOF 55 afterwards). I have done quite a bit of EMX TTs and IABs on the V-Flow Plus though (on road bikes).
Quote Reply

Prev Next