Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$ 2500 budget. Help needed.
Quote | Reply
So Ironman CdA 2011 is going to be my first Ironman and I need some help picking out a few more items that'll make the most out of my race.

I already have a bike (2008 QR Caliente), and I was wondering what would be the best options.

Wheels? A HED Jet up front and disc cover in back vs. Planet X 82/101 combo vs. other suggestions?
Aero Helmet or keep my specialized one?
I've been wearing some Desoto shorts and a specialized bike jersey for previous tri's; should I invest in a tri suit?
What would you do with $2500 ?
Quote Reply
Re: $ 2500 budget. Help needed. [WyoWill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me be the first one to say "coach" unless you have a pretty good idea how you're going to train (start now if you have not). Also, unless you are sure that you want to stick with it... I'd rent wheels instead of buying them (or just use the wheels you have). $20-$30 for a day to have a feeling of how they handle, $100 for the whole race week.... That leaves a lot of money to train, enter races (such as Onion Man or longer ones if you can) on your way to CdA and train for them.
Last edited by: Frenchman: Jan 1, 11 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: $ 2500 budget. Help needed. [Frenchman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you say local coach or an online one? Thing is I live in Laramie, Wy and I'm sure resources are scarce.

I like the idea of renting wheels but I've done a couple tri's and kinda want to buy my own set this time. Used if at all possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where can you rent wheels that cheaply? I'm racing the PX 82/101 this season but you can't go wrong with a good used set of heds. How fast are you looking to go? If you just want to comfortably get through it the gear you have will work fine.

Quote | Reply
I think it's up to you coach-wise. I like talking to people live myself, but there are pros and cons and some online coaching might be better. People here say good things about Endurance Nation and the founders (?) seem active on the forum, but there are MANY. If possible, find a friend who has a good recommendation.
Quote Reply
Re: $ 2500 budget. Help needed. [Mallen4574] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are the prices I've been quoted here in Seattle, but I remember seeing similar prices online (shipping may be an additional charge too). I ended up getting a bike which had Reynolds Strike so I didn't rent, but if I wanted a deeper setup I would definitely rent, and probably rent first before buying.

And of course... We have all seen the Planet X wheels thread these past couple days, for those not afraid of tubulars (especially for an IM).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well looks like I will rent unless I find a killer deal online. What about hydration sytems, compression clothing etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powermeter?

I think that would be a wiser investment than pretty much anything else. For $2500, you could buy a Powertap or Quarq, a computer to go with it, a nice tri suit, and even a hydration system of your choice. You'd probably have money leftover to rent wheels if you shop well. And this is all assuming you buy brand new... used it could go even cheaper. You should probably spend $30 on Training and Racing With A Powermeter too.

Quote | Reply
Dude, what is your goal time? I will probably be a spectater there. Even so, I live in Montana. Have a set of HEDs tri spokes I would lend you. What kind of wetsuit and your size and weight. You could borrow that as well. ..................I take it you have ten speed shimano. Also to truly answer your question, need time goals for swim, bike run
Last edited by: Kenney: Jan 1, 11 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: $ 2500 budget. Help needed. [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenny- I already have a wetsuit so thanks for the offer. As for the trispokes, I may take you up on that. I'm thinking a powertap with cover would be a good investment. I'm a strong swimmer averaging 1:10 per 100 yards in the pool (drag suit) for a 3000 yard swim. I'm hoping for under 1:05 as my swim time. Open water changes things though. I plan on a 6 hour bike ride, and sub 4:15 marathon time.

And yes, 10 speed shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is an avg of 18.3 for the bike. I think spending on wheels (if you use my HEDs) will not save you anything worthwile for the money at that speed. My friend here has a disc cover I do not think he used for awhile. My Heds are clinchers. I have an old tubie disc, not sure if it will hold a 10 speed casette I will check. If you are doing a lot of biking indoors, investing in the right trainer could help. Or rollers. Its a ways off but you can pm me or call sometime at 406-248-9908. Hvae fun training.......................................I did cda in 2003 and 2004.
Quote Reply
Re: $ 2500 budget. Help needed. [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have a fluid trainer for these horrible winters. I've been told not to invest in any sort of wheelset but if I can go 20mph at less watts, thus saving energy, then I feel it's worth it. How is the bike course by the way? I've been to the site to get a profile, but graphs do not reflect real-word experiences too well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be in in any hurry to spend. I was all jacked and in the months before my first Iron Man I spent like $1200 (full price) for Flashpoint 60s (Nice wheels) but now I think maybe there were better things I could have invested in. Disc rear wheel, better wetsuit, power meter etc. ... But I also wouldn't wait until June to buy anything big either.
Of course training is the priority and March - May is the real priority. Maybe invest in a couple days off work in April (leave w/out pay if you have to) to train :-)
Quote Reply
Re: $ 2500 budget. Help needed. [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
College student so can't really take any time off :( . I think I'll splurge for the power meter now and get things as I need them. This is a good time for someone to offer me a good deal on a front clincher though ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things to get in order of importance. (also assuming you do not want a coach, but if you do squeeze it between 3 and 4)

1) Trainer
2) Power meter
3) Heart rate monitor if you didn't buy #2
4) Aero helmet
5) Deep dish wheels or deep front with wheel cover in the rear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. good bike fit for free speed and comfort.
2 look for a tri club in area to train with.
3 get fast tires .
4 tape the holes on your bike helmet
5 save the $ 2300 for good food .

Thom

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"College student so can't really take any time off"

You mean you basically have all the time in the world. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: $ 2500 budget. Help needed. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think setting up a dedicated daily training schedule is the most important, and free, thing to do. after that, the world is your oyster. fit is most important, then coach, IMO, and then a trainer and maybe some wheels- i'm a believer in the engine first, but if you are spending the $$, wheels are easy speed, as is a helmet. I also think swim and run stride analysis is a solid potential idea, because those are corrections you can make yourself, and keep the video for later viewing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TBinMT wrote:

That's what I was thinking first. But then, when I was in college, I could ski bum all the time but I did not have a $2,500 budget for any toy, for sure (even corrected for inflation).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe my freshman year I had a lot of time on my hands but sadly now I'm a senior and I have to keep up with the 4.0 semesters for med school applications to look good, and taking nothing but science courses that all require a labs is not fun. Oh and a job on top of it all. Maybe if I did something like education I would have more time...

Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frenchman wrote:
TBinMT wrote:

That's what I was thinking first. But then, when I was in college, I could ski bum all the time but I did not have a $2,500 budget for any toy, for sure (even corrected for inflation).

Our state pays pretty much for all tuition cost, and then there is scholarship money on top of that. After putting a couple thousand in savings, I set $2,500 each semester.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. So, you can get a scholarship even though the state pays the tuition that the scholarship helps cover? Strange, but hey :-) I'm just wondering... I don't know anything about the American system (I studied in France: free studies, but no scholarship unless you cannot afford lodging for example---but then there are no savings!) but have kids here, and one of them is getting in high school this year. I am going to have to learn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"taking nothing but science courses that all require a labs is not fun. Oh and a job on top of it all."

Yeah, there is a pretty big difference between premed / science and/or math/engineering majors and most everyone else (undergrad). Training can be a real feat of scheduling. Good luck! CDa is a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In order of priority and where you can get the most bang for your buck...

1. Power meter - Get a used PowerTap on the forum classifieds. Even a "wired" one is plenty good and will give you the data you need to set a baseline and then improve on it.
2. Buy an Endurance Nation Ironman plan. Their plans are excellent, they work best when a power meter is being used and they give you the right dose of training for your ability and goals.
3. Disc cover from Wheelbuilder.com for your rear wheel. Wait until you get your PowerTap wheel and then get the cover for it.
4. Update your tri clothing as necessary for comfort. Comfort is king.

Good luck. IMCDA is my favorite.
Quote Reply