Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thanks to Carl Matson - SC Retailer Presentation [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl!! On Saturday November 6th, 2010 - Carl took time out of his busy schedule to come and present information on the white paper regarding the Trek Speed Concept to 40 excited Triathletes and TT riders. Carl's tech presentation on the bike to very interested consumers went over very well (we just needed more time)

United Cycle (Edmonton, Alberta - Canada) was Carl's first consumer presentaion in Canada and the event was great!! The wind tunnel tests, YAW rates were fantastic - Cervelo customers present were thoroughly surprised by the tech results?? Look out full Speed Concept ahead.......................

So, Thanks Carl I look forward to hosting you next year at our annual Bike Expo!!

Paul H.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept frameset only [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS also quoted that price for the 2011 frameset. I must be one lucky SOB. They had a complete 2010 9.5 SC WSD on sale for well UNDER the cost of a frameset! Incredible. It was actually on sale for over two weeks, I guess most guys were turned off to it being a WSD, including me. As soon as I realized the miniscule differences between the men's and women's bike, I hurried to the store. Wow!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept frameset only [AeroEgg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!! The geometry are the same anyway?
Now show pics!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept frameset only [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK - the only difference is the paint scheme and the included saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Speed Concept [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful! Much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Speed Concept [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Tried the modification, this makes it much easier to get the right and left sides of the "Cable Cover" on but the rear or (top) of triangle is still quite a struggle, anyone have any hints on how to get this puppy in?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Speed Concept [dubd71771] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mount the end pointing at the saddle first
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Speed Concept [dubd71771] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on what Weaver said. Try putting the pointy end of the triangle (facing the saddle) in first. Use a small allen wrench or flat head screwdriver.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept frameset only [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania is correct about the saddle and paint. Also, the women's bike comes with the very short reach stem. The stem is definitely too short for me, I'm working with my LBS to get the 100mm stem, either the 10mm or 45mm stack, whatever is available.

Sorry, I can't post pics just yet. My really old digital camera (Mavica) is currently not compatible with my new computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

It would be appreciated if you could help me out with sizing. I'm coming off a Trek TT frame medium 54cm C-C top / 74 degree seat tube with a 8cm -30 degree stem, saddle 5cm behind BB, saddle height 73cm. My reach is approx. 46cm center BB to pads. Center front hub to top base bar 51cm / ground top base bar 81.5cm.

Looking at the fit chart, what combo frame size and front end would you recommend? I notice a small 46 reach with the low 110/45 stem and then there is a medium with a 110/75 in that reach. I'm waiting on the UCI edition frameset for this spring.

Appreciate your time!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Sizing [eki1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries, eki...but it'll help a lot if you can get your pad stack from the BB rather than basebar height above hub.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [toothpick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl-

First of all, thanks for all of your time and answering questions! This is awesome!

Question on the aerobar pad setup. After looking at a SC this week (absolutely beautiful in person!, BTW), there appeared to be a 'narrow' and 'wide' configuration to the a

erobar pads achieved by flipping the mounting brackets. In the narrow configuration, the maximum width of the elbow pads seemed to be around 210-220mm center to center. Is there any way to get this wider (without flipping the brackets and going to the 'wide' configuration which also makes the extensions very wide) by means of either a)only using ONE of the bolts to mount the pads at the very far end of the brackets instead of the two, or b) the possibility/availability a mounting bracket for the pads that would extend slightly wider (hoping to get in the 240mm range)?

I hope that description makes sense, If I could only draw a picture... :)
=========================================================================
Know exactly what you're driving at. At present, no, there isn't a way to go wider on the pads with the extensions mounted inboard. Running them with a single bolt is not advisable...they're designed for two. A longer P-bracket is not available right now from us (don't know if anyone else has one), but sometimes market demand has a way of fixing that...

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
Design Engineer - Speed
=========================================================================

Just wondering if there have been any further thoughts on this?

Is the size of the extensions the same as the Profile range of aero bars?

If so their extra length "J" bracket may help. I m unsure if the holes for the aero pads are the same size/spacing so perhaps a change of pads will be required too.

http://www.profile-design.com/...j2--bracket-kit.html

Craig
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Guzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Two questions:

#1) Last week I had my LBS order the rear seed box for my SC7 which has not arrived yet. Are the new speed boxes being shipped, the modified / updated version to help avoid tire rub?

#2) Any update on when the top tube trunk storage container will be availible?

Thanks

Mark

Mark
Northern California
Trek 1500 SLR Road
Trek SC7 Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MKAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS just quoted me for the 100/45 stem....+$200.
For the amount paid, I was hoping the three stems would be included in the package just like Giant.

How can one stem fit a plethora of rider dimensions? It should have been an option for buyer to choose a stem.
Anyone want to trade a 60/45 for a 100/45?
Last edited by: campled: Nov 23, 10 3:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mm. I was sure I read some where that the SC would come with 3 different stems like its competitors. Now this makes me rethink my descision to get a SC..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How can one stem fit a plethora of rider dimensions? It should have been an option for buyer to choose a stem.

When I ordered my frameset from my LBS, I was able to choose all the details - the exact stem that I wanted, length and offset of seatpost etc.
Last edited by: Steve Irwin: Nov 23, 10 3:58
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does, but unless you get a P1 you get the stock stem.

I was able to get the extensions in the proper place with the stock stem, but to get the basebar in place I had to get a different stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in Asia, we got the frameset with brakes, bars & stem already installed.
You just put in the aerobar extensions & your parts.
In wasn't the P1 with options.

In my opinion, two sensitive rider choices are saddle & stem.
Last edited by: campled: Nov 23, 10 5:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
mm. I was sure I read some where that the SC would come with 3 different stems like its competitors. Now this makes me rethink my descision to get a SC..

I respectfully suggest you rethink your rethoughts on this matter. If you have decided that simply because of the lack of an alternative stem that you are not getting the SC then you, my friend, are misssing so much more. Reminds me of the guy who was concerned that he thought the top tube of the SC was a tad too wide hence he was rethinking his decision to get the SC.

There is sooooooo much more to this bike than paying for an alternative stem for $200, particularly when triathletes spend gobs and gobs of money on doodads and gizmos to make them 40 seconds faster on a 40 K time trial.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tweeners...interesting idea. I guess a lot depends on the basebar hand placement feedback like yours.

As for the stem swap and housing considerations, assuming a reasonable amount of "overage" was left in the downtube for the rear brake & shifters, the big challenge is the front brake. There's very little in the way of "free" housing between the bar exit and the stop in the top of the fork when using the 100x10, so there's almost no margin for error if you try to simply cut off the excess from your 60x45 installation. Tried this myself when I made a 100x45 to 100x10 swap last week and ended up going just a tad too short...so I re-plumbed the bar for that housing....which probably would have been faster from the start, even if I'd instead left it long and nibbled back to the right length.

Hey Carl,

Did you permanently use the 100x10 stem or were you just trying it out and comparing a fit against the 100x45 you had. I understand the need to go lower as you were maxed (meaning lowest) on your APS at 620 on the 100x45 but to go 100x10 meant your BBR went to 688 and that would be quite a reach. What do you think.

I'm trying to relate to this because we are both the same height and and dimensions and I am considering getting a Medium SC and selling my small. Just a thought though - nothing seriously planned.

P:)

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MKAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark-

1) yes

2) mid-Dec is what I'm hearing for wider availability, but if your LBS checks Dexter I'll bet they see some stock right now

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still running that setup...but not because I needed or even wanted to go lower on pad stack...kept that the same in fact. I was just curious how dropping the basebar out and away with the 100x10 would feel. I'm one of those guys who goes to the basebar only for starts & stops and stupid-steep grades that just aren't spinnable with my gearing (and lack of fitness), so I don't really notice the difference all that much. When I force myself to go out there, say, when taking a roundabout at speed, I can see why some of the protour guys might like a more road-drops position on technical TT courses. Otherwise, meh.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Guzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(summarizing my PM for everyone else)

Nothing new to report on new brackets - or extensions. If the Profile J-brackets take 22.2mm extensions then they'll at least be compatible, but it's hard to tell if there is any effective increase in width based on the hole pattern I'm seeing in those pictures.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. For any given SC stem, the adjustment range for armpad center position via the extension spacers, pad mounting hole pattern, and P-bracket hole pattern is a cube ~50mm on a side.

Whether you're coming from a known set of coordinates on your current tri bike or an LBS tri fit session, our 9-series fit chart will show you which combination of frame and stem offers the most fit flexibility (i.e. near the middle of that cube) without needing to change stems and your LBS can order accordingly.

The alternative, of course, is to throw all 6 SC stems in the box and charge you for them, like those competitors do. I can see that being an advantage primarily in re-sale via the classifieds since it opens you up to more buyers. In the meantime of course, there's several hundred bucks just sitting around on your workbench instead of going towards coaching or a powertap or race wheels or...

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well the competitors throw in the stems at the same price, making the SC way more expensive than the competitors.
Quote Reply

Prev Next