Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power
Quote | Reply
Took a while, ahem, but:
https://buy.garmin.com/...tore/fr310update.jsp

----
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:
-Implemented support for speed zones. The user cannot view or edit on the device, but speed zones can be sent from Garmin Training Center or Garmin Connect and then used in workouts.
-Fixed various issues with workouts showing wrong units in steps.
-Added new data fields: Vertical Speed - 30 second average, 3 second power, 30 second power, %FTP power and max speed.
-Fixed issue with GPS taking precedence over GSC10 for speed/distance even indoors
----

Props to rkalish for the catch:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3085154
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [charris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [charris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will resist the urge to upgrade before IMAZ...

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [Recall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, please spare me the expense of having to catch a plane down there at the last minute to kick you in the nuts. Have a good race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like rolling averages were the big missing link for using the 310XT exclusively as opposed to in concert with an Edge 500/705/800. Any real reason to go with an Edge 500 now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Iv'e got both and 310 and a 500. I'm going to test out the 310 and see if I can do without the 500 and sell it.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [frrtlek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Seems like rolling averages were the big missing link for using the 310XT exclusively as opposed to in concert with an Edge 500/705/800. Any real reason to go with an Edge 500 now?
Screen size / number of fields. I bike with a 500, run with a 310.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [frrtlek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

i think the only other thing that the 500 now gives is the ability to select if you want to record zeros or not...if i am not mistaken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally! Too bad after waiting a year I caved and I have a Joule now as well, but I still use my 310xt as my primary computer on my second bike so better late than never.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!!!! My first powertap setup will arrive Monday from wheelbuilder! I got the Pro+ with the DTswiss RR585 set on the way . . . already had the 310xt and though the lack of average gave me reservations for not getting a dedicated power computer, looks like lady luck has smiled !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Thanks for the heads up.. I am updating as I am writing this.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuck at 'Loader Loading...'

Yay.

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rode a quick ride today with a couple of friends, but its a nice update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone that's new to power what's better, the 3s or 30s rolling average. Which should I have displayed during my rides.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [trixer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

i think the only other thing that the 500 now gives is the ability to select if you want to record zeros or not...if i am not mistaken.

Useful but not critical features : barometric altimeter and temperature.

Screen size is much better. However 310xt allows 4 pages of data, 500 only 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whichever one works best for what you are doing. For flat coarses the 30s will probably be fine but if there are rollers/hills you may want 3s to make sure you don't spike too much. Maybe havec the 3s & 30s at the same time?

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to happen to me every other firmware update. Try a soft reset (mode+lap?), then run the update again. Haven't bricked one yet doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally loaded on the 3rd go. Phew. Each time I update, I get worried it'll brick.

Now that snow is in the forecast for this coming week, I'll be sure to put it to a test soon. :)

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To consolidate/add to/clarify some of the above, the main 500 advantages:
-Smaller/lighter/more aero (cough)
-Less orange
-Slightly bigger screen and more data fields per screen
-Choice of Zero Averaging for Power and Cadence (note: this is only for what's *displayed* on the unit - they all *record* exactly the same data)
-More accurate elevation (barometric altimeter)
-Temperature

I think Zero Averaging is probably the most important of those, with the data fields per screen being second. Although neither are a huge deal in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think Zero Averaging is probably the most important of those, with the data fields per screen being second. Although neither are a huge deal in my experience.

so as i understand 310 doesn't give you the option to do zero averaging. and its off is that correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [trixer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct - Zero Averaging is OFF and can't be configured (i.e. zeros are excluded – meaning your averages don't creep down when you are coasting - so your numbers will be artificially higher as they only include times when you are pedaling).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Useful but not critical features : barometric altimeter and temperature.

Screen size is much better. However 310xt allows 4 pages of data, 500 only 3.

True but the 500 does 8 fields per page versus 4 per page on the 310xt. There's alot of data on 1 screen on a 500.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you have the neutral and it is in good shape, let me know your price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

so as i understand 310 doesn't give you the option to do zero averaging. and its off is that correct?

thanks that is what i thought, that is what always screws me up....that was the one reason i was going to the 500....but with the 3 sec and 30 sec averaging i will do my best to manage until i sell the pt and buy quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
-Added new data fields: Vertical Speed - 30 second average, 3 second power, 30 second power, %FTP power

So out of curiousity (having never used a Garmin product), how do you set your FTP in the 310XT? (Hopefully it doesn't require using software, ala the Joule.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next