Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Local" Races with Prize Money
Quote | Reply
Thought this could be a useful thread, as it seems to come up frequently, but it might be nice to have it all in one place. In order to have a seperate pro field, a race needs to have $5k in prize money. If it's less than that, races just have an 'elite' wave that's open to amateurs, who are in turn eligible for prize money.

The races I know of that fit this description from last season were:

Lake Elkhart in Wisconsin

Evergreen Lake in Illinois

Mayflower Sprint in Mass.

What other 'local' races have prize money for amateurs/elites?

Quote | Reply
Beach 2 Battleship gives out $4995 in prize money I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: "Local" Races with Prize Money [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some sprint up in Jersey that Lehner always pockets some cash in. Sunset Sprint I think. Also the NC and SC tri series give out money for the overalls. Piranha Sports goes back and forth with amateur prize money. Of course the year I win they were back and not forth. The triple Ts were giving big gift certs a couple years ago. RMS here in Richmond had a purse with the Rockets Landing Olympic in 2009 but dropped it in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: "Local" Races with Prize Money [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I thought about doing that Richmond race till they dropped the prize purse.

Dave - I remember racing against you a few years ago in Delaware, where they completely screwed up the awards. I think they mailed me the 3rd place master's women plaque or something ridiculous. Until this past fall, that was the closest loss I've had in a tri - something like 10 seconds. Hope all is well!

Quote | Reply
Did I beat you by 10 seconds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is a far stretch for almost everyone on here. But most of the local running races in Korea have prize money. You can pretty much race year around out here. If you are a Male and can run sub 1:18 for a half and in the 33-35 range for a 10K you can make some money out here. For females it is around 38 for 10K and 1:23-1:25 for a half. I have seen a female win $400 with a 1:40, so it just depends who shows up. If you want to take a year off from being in the states I have heard it isn't too hard to pick up an English teaching job out here. All you need is a Bachelors degree, I don't think it has to even be specific to anything.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions about Korea in general, I have been out here twice now. From 2007-2009 and will be here from 2010-2012.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: "Local" Races with Prize Money [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just had $6600 in prize money up for the Morgan Hill Marathon and Half. The Half winners went 1:09 and 1:24. $500.00 each. The full went 2:37 and 2:59. $1000.00 each. Male and Female.

Greg Richards
Morgan Hill, Ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Some sprint up in Jersey that Lehner always pockets some cash in. Sunset Sprint I think. Also the NC and SC tri series give out money for the overalls. Piranha Sports goes back and forth with amateur prize money. Of course the year I win they were back and not forth. The triple Ts were giving big gift certs a couple years ago. RMS here in Richmond had a purse with the Rockets Landing Olympic in 2009 but dropped it in 2010.

Sunset Sprint in Bridgeton, NJ has overall cash and (at least used to) masters winner. I've gotten the latter at least once.

Skylands Tri in Clinton, NJ has overall cash, primes to the top swimmer (m/f) and $75 or $100 to the winner of each AG. I've gotten $300 or so.

The Pier Village Duathlon in Long Branch, NJ had overall cash and $100 to each AG winner (ask me how I know :-)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Nov 18, 10 14:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was 7 :)

Can't for the life of me remember the name of the race though.

Quote | Reply

-Pigman Long Course Triathlon

-Chisago Lakes Half Iron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
American Zofingen. $500 / $300 / $100 / $60 / $40 for both top 5 men and women.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: "Local" Races with Prize Money [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
American Zofingen. $500 / $300 / $100 / $60 / $40 for both top 5 men and women.

Is this on the website? I don't see it. Probably worth mentioning there.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: "Local" Races with Prize Money [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, thanks.
We paid out $1200 in year one, and $2000 for the next 5 years, so we're up to $11,200.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming that's for the long distance race?

Quote | Reply
Good assumption. The race really was only supposed to be the long course, but not enough are up to it, so we added the shorter versions.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Colonial Beach International and Sprint in Colonial Beach Virginia- one of the older tris on the circuit run by the local YMCA. I think the awards go three deep for each race (250/100/50) for 1st-3rd, I won 250 in 07. Sandbag the sprint and walk away with 250, no just kidding :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lakeside Triathlon, Decatur, IL - July 10, 2011
$1,000/$500/$250 for top 3 overall male and female - oly distance only
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good assumption. The race really was only supposed to be the long course, but not enough are up to it, so we added the shorter versions.

I hear the rd even bagged the LC part way through one year?

As for local events with $ skaneateles race weekend is hard to beat. Think ist 500/250/100 for the "Im All That" and you get 4 short races for a $100 entry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our Breakdown on prize money for 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011: $1500, 500, 250 for both male/female- every year- Prize purse sponsored by Forescout Tech.

Our age group awards overalls in 2009 were Canon digital cameras.

In 2010 our AG awards were: 1st- Polar HR monitors (sponsored by Sunrise Tri), 2nd- Timex Watches, 3rd- Avia sneakers- all male and female.

For our Corporate overalls- Canon Cameras.
For our Club awards- overall- 3 cycling jerseys to the top club.
Travel Stix- electronic cards for club 2nd and 3rds

For our First Responders- a donation to the charity of their choice in their name.

For our TOUGHKids- Oakley Glasses for overalls-all three age divisions- 4-6, 7-10, and 11-14- male and female, plus gift certificates from New Balance for every kid that raced as well as a set of Crayola markers and chalk.

Plaques to all top 3 in every div and medals and True Motion towels to all finishers.

Plus bagstuffers from- Zoot Shirt, Zoot race belt, Arm and Hammer products, Cliff Bar, Powergel, Red Bull, Arid, and a silicone bracelet, temporary tattoo, and bumper sticker from Toughman. The Cinch bag was sponsored by Westchester Road Runners.

Plus post race BBQ, Massage, Pizza, Live Bands, DJ. Plus results on website by noon sat (for kids) and 5pm sun. (for adults)

http://www.TOUGHMANTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've received a couple hundred bucks or so at the Chesapeakeman in MD

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: "Local" Races with Prize Money [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bridgeland Tri
and
Houston Olympic Tri