Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jrcarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp and Bontrager are competitors in the aftermarket wheelset market. Hed and Bontrager only slightly less so. Can't imagine why they didn't hook us up with a year's worth of advance warning on cool new superwide rims :-)

On the front brake make sure all washers except the concave ("toe-in/out") one are outboard of the arm and your centering adjustment setscrews are backed all the way out. I get nearly 28mm of space between the pads that way which should have no trouble accepting the ~25.4mm brake track width of the FCs, particularly with cork pads in there which tend to be 1mm or more thinner than the standard pads on the setup I measured. Improvements to the system still in development stage, so won't be seen on any bikes currently in shops.

On the rear brake, same suggestion on washers. 1st generation brakes achieve a pad width of ~29mm this way and the 2nd gen get up over 30mm. Again, with standard pads...corks will go wider still.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Thanks for the info. I am sure Zipp kept the width of the rims top secret till their unveiling. Just to clarify about the rear brake. You stated "On the rear brake, same suggestion on washers. 1st generation brakes achieve a pad width of ~29mm this way and the 2nd gen get up over 30mm. Again, with standard pads...corks will go wider still"

Are the models currently rolling out to dealers now equipped with this 2nd gen setup on the rear or will that be on the 2011-2012 version or a modification kit some time in the near future?

Thank you again in advance for all your insight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're very welcome.

The changeover to the new rear brake happened some time ago, so what's in stores now should primarily be that version. Not quite ready to comment on retrofit kits ;-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that the internet could tell me this, but is the 25.4mm width the FC 404 width 808 width, or both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the research. I'll have to recheck the cateye small parts store and see what they have available. I'ld trust that more than zip ties, even though they are working for now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I think it has been posted here before, but could you tell me when a UCI version will be available? Can you get a legal post now? Will the UCI complete module have the Kamm Tail base bar?

Thanks for your time,

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the knowledge of all the Zipp FC CC work fine in a properly setup Trek Speed Concept, even the original gen 1 brake - the key there is a properly setup Trek Speed Concept. HED Stinger 90s which are much wider than Zipp FC work fine in the rear, and do not fit in the front in manner that is truly workable. The brakes can be very picky depending on your Speed Concept and its stem rise/length, housing, and brake wedge placement. If all is properly adjusted the FCs will work fine.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [eki1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spring 2011

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MKAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Carl,

I have seen almost no SC7's in bike shops within California and none in races I have been in for the past few months. All the bike shops I have talked to say the same thing: "they are just not available right now, maybe in a month or two".

What gives.....? Was there some kind of production hangup or something? I have been waiting on mine for about two months and it will be another two months. Throw me a bone brother........I'm dying to ride my new bike. Tell me the Trek has dispatched a cargo plane and is airdropping SC7's all over the country as we speak?

Mark

Mark,

Check out Cycle Werks in Costa Mesa. Pretty sure they have some 7 series speed concepts in stock. Make sure to call the Costa Mesa store not the San Clamente store, and ask for Joey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl or anyone else in the know:

Can the Di2 internal wire kit be retrofitted to the Speed concept?

In other words, if i get a SC now and build it up with mechanical Dura Ace, will I be able to upgrade to Di2 with internal wiring later? Or is that something that can only be done at the outset? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dr.dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the great features of the SC is you have backwards and forwards Di2 compatibility.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl/Anyone, what is the availability of the speed box and the box that goes behind the stem, in the UK?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks for the info and the quick reply!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The speed box which goes behind the stem is looking like December at this point. We will be making an announcement about the second generation draft box (behind the seat tube) soon .

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Thanks for the info re battery check. Dead easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Not quite ready to comment on retrofit kits ;-)

Wooo Hooo!!!!!!

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that I know my Firecrest will fit this bike I am dumping my 1 Ironman raced Orbea Ordu and ordering a SC. My Project One Speed concept has an estimated delivery of 01/11/2011. Will this be fit with the Second Generation Draft Box? Or Will they just use up the old stock and have me buy a new one after I get the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The speed box which goes behind the stem is looking like December at this point. We will be making an announcement about the second generation draft box (behind the seat tube) soon .

Second generation draft box??
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mrchopsaloty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
Design Engineer - Speed

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mrchopsaloty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd generation has more clearance for certain Hed and Zipp wheels. First generation was super tight on my bike and with my Heds was always rubbing. My LBS was able to get me a 2nd generation before Clearwater. Way more clearance and a more secure fit. Other than the clearance there isn't any noticeable difference.
Quote Reply
packing the sc??? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got my bike packed up for Ironman Az.I had to take the stem cover off-3 bolts,then the base bar 4 bolts.Then I had to take the aerobar extensions off 4 more bolts to get it in the case.At the time it seemed very time consuming.Anyone else have any tips to packing up the bike that would make it easier?Or did I actually get away easy by not having to disconnect the brakes etc.???Thanks,Cam.
Quote Reply
UCI Speed Concept [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I was thinking about some ideas for the UCI speed concept...offer it in only Radioshack or new Luxemburg team paint schemes + project one. Get rid of the thread holes for all the tri boxes. Design the Bontrager base bar so it has a collet style adjustability for the extensions and fits HED diameter extensions. Engineer a spot on the stem where you can insert the computer head without having to do some crazy zip ties.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Speed Concept [eki1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Managed to ride it last weekend.
The rear brakes are much better than other TT/Tri bikes with hidden rear brakes.
Soooooo much better.

Draft box needs more improvement.
Could hardly put anything in except an inner tube and Co2. No way a tubular will fit.
Lid always opens on bumps & is never secure in place.
It moves & rubs the rear wheel (a 22 Conti). Was so bothered during our ride.
Allen screw for draft box so deep inside that it needs a very long allen. Big hands will find it difficult to access.
I just removed it in disgust.

Specialized Virtua bottle with DIY bracket fits well.
I am hoping for a 100/45 stem as the back of the basebar hits my thighs when standing.
The aerobars are very adjustable so the fit somehow is alright.

Very hard when changing training & race wheels with different widths.
Brakes are hard to access, price of being so aero.
The rubber hood over the top tube cable entry is a challenge to install.

Had initial problems with my headset bearings that chipped my front paint.
My LBS handled the bearing replacement but the chipped paint I will have to live with.
Oh well.

Otherwise..., after all my ramblings...it was a fantastic bike to ride!
The handling of the front end was so predictable & stable.
The feel of the ride is so good, I can't imagine it could be better than the other bike which was already great.
Its my first Trek and am very impressed.
If the bike holds up well in the next few months...its very much worth the money paid for it.

Last edited by: campled: Nov 15, 10 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Speed Concept [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The draftbox is surprisingly roomy - you just have to make an effort to get it to fit in there.

I can't really comment on the rubbing as I haven't had any issues as long as I make sure it's nice and tight.

For training rides I'm able to fit: CO2, tube, levers, multi-tool. If I wanted to forego the multi-tool, I could probably fit two tubes/CO2.

For racing I fit: Tubular*, CO2, lever, razor. electronus is able to fit all that + a can of pitstop. You need a narrow, flexible tire to fit. I've had a vittoria Crono fit nicely and my current selection is a Tufo S3 lite (because it has a butyl tube).
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Speed Concept [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Few notes on my experience so far:
Draft Box - if you were trying to fit a tubular, you could forego the neoprene bag, as the tubular wouldn't make any rattling noises.
- for tightening, I used a needle nose pliers to tighten the allen wrench, which was really easy.
- Moving and rubbing - I think if you use a pliers to tighten it, it will move less.
Quote Reply

Prev Next