Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Wheel Comparison (Aeolus vs Race X Lite)
Quote | Reply
I ride a Trek Madone 5.2...

I have Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 ACC's and Bontrager Race X Lite's...

I am trying to decide which wheelset to keep for training and sprint races. The Aeolus are depper and more aero, however, the Race X Lite's are obviously lighter and aren't un-aero as they also have bladed spokes.

I know aero trumps weight, however, does anyone think there is much advantage to having the 5.0 ACC's for short distances when compared to a lighter bladed spoke wheel?

Would putting a disc cover on the Race X Lite's make it comparable to the ACC's?

I didn't pay anything close to retail for either set, so I wouldn't be losing much if anything on a sale, just trying to decide which ones to keep for an all purpose training and racing set.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheel Comparison (Aeolus vs Race X Lite) [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you know what slowtwitch is going to say. I can tell. So just do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheel Comparison (Aeolus vs Race X Lite) [jpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheel Comparison (Aeolus vs Race X Lite) [jpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, well the typical response to aero wheels is deep front, disc cover on the back.

I'm looking to find some kind of consensus as to whether the benefit of the Aeolus is worth more than a couple seconds in a sprint triathlon with a 20 km ride...

And I'd prefer one set to race and train, so that's also a factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a 50mm deep rim vs a standard non-aero rim. Large difference. Keep the Aeoli.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the % time savings in a sprint is the same as the % time savings in an ironman.

if it is worth it in an ironman it is worth it in a 1 mile race too.

clearly the aeolus is a faster wheel, and there is no reason you can't train on it.

theres also no reason to train and race on the same set though, unless you live in a microhouse and just cannot squeeze that 2nd set of wheels in there.

In Reply To:
Hmmm, well the typical response to aero wheels is deep front, disc cover on the back.

I'm looking to find some kind of consensus as to whether the benefit of the Aeolus is worth more than a couple seconds in a sprint triathlon with a 20 km ride...

And I'd prefer one set to race and train, so that's also a factor.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply