Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoes for Morton's foot.
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's right.....I have Morton's foot. I love my Nike Free Runs, I love my Mizuno Wave Rider13 the problem with both is that my second toe on both feet always gets tender/raw after running. Can someone recommend a shoe that has a low profile, tight heel cup, firm upper but a toe box that would help with those goofy long second digits?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for Morton's foot. [triarcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Size up half a size, maybe more. Look for about a thumbnails distance between your longest (in your case second) toe and the end of the shoe. Feet can swell quite a bit or come forward in the shoe while running. Check the fit of your socks if you are wearing any to make sure that they are sized accordingly. Additionally, try using a runner's loop or loop lace to keep your foot from sliding forward in your shoe.

Morton's toe is a very common issue and usually is taken care of by just adjusting the size of the shoe up half a size.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for Morton's foot. [onabubble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I do that I lose fit in the heel. I have a narrow heel with a wide forefoot. Thanks for the suggestions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where is your toe getting raw at? Your problem may have less to do with the shoe and more to do with your foots biomechanical compensation for the long 2nd digit/short 1st.

>if you can't win, make the guy ahead of you break the record
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general you are shopping for the shape of the toe box. If the toe box is more pointed toward the center of the shoe as viewed from above you'll likely get a trimmer, more tailored fit.

Morton's Foot (where your toe next to your big toe is longer than your big toe) is pretty common so you'd think some shoe designers would build for this specifically.

Have you tried Newton?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Nov 1, 10 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When I do that I lose fit in the heel. I have a narrow heel with a wide forefoot. Thanks for the suggestions!

I have the same problem. I've found the footbox/heel pocket shape of Newtons work pretty well for me. For a minimalist trail runner, I also like the New Balance MT-100's (on the NB RL-3 last) for a snug heel and generous toe box.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super common condition you have there.

In terms of shoe fit, you are going to lose a little bit of the heel snugness you are looking for. Be looking for shoes that really wrap the midfoot well. This is where most heel slip can be averted. Alternative lacing technique may also improve the fit of the shoe in the heel if it is sliding around.

Some shoes in that more neutral category that could be of benefit would be the Saucony Kinvara (be aware that the sizing of this shoe is...well...off a little bit), the Brooks Launch (add a half size to whatever you're running in now), and the New Balance 759 (stick to current sizing).

Good luck!

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for Morton's foot. [dalbright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
where is your toe getting raw at? Your problem may have less to do with the shoe and more to do with your foots biomechanical compensation for the long 2nd digit/short 1st.

on the inside tip next to the big toe and a bit right on the top. Both toes on each foot get the same marks/soreness.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for Morton's foot. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In general you are shopping for the shape of the toe box. If the toe box is more pointed toward the center of the shoe as viewed from above you'll likely get a trimmer, more tailored fit.

Morton's Foot (where your toe next to your big toe is longer than your big toe) is pretty common so you'd think some shoe designers would build for this specifically.

Have you tried Newton?

No I have not. I do not have a dealer nearby so I can't try them on. I prefer a lighter low profile shoe so the Nike Free's are great for me (besides this issue with my bunk feet).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have a morton's foot, except my third toe is even longer than my second toe. I tried the nike free runs, but I had to give them away after only 4 days. For running shoes I highly recommend brooks. They have a much wider toe box, but they also have lightweight shoes, which was what I liked about the nike free runs. Right now I have brooks pureflow, and I love them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
size up and get a thicker sock and see if that stops the heel slipping and cushion the 2nd toe. Might try some different lacing techniques

http://www.runnersworld.com/...ng-shoes?page=single

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/...e-your-shoe/482.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore Mizuno Wave Riders for several years. Over a year ago I switched to Brooks PureFlow (v1). I like the Flow a lot...roomy toe box, wide-enough forefoot to allow my feet to spread. I'm on my 3rd pair -- about 500-600 miles each pair. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know until I read this thread but I guess I also have a morton's foot, and have had a morton's neuroma in the past while wearing Newtons, found the forefoot area was just way too narrow. I switched to Brook Pure Cadence, amazing the difference. Definitely recommend at least trying them out, and they don't have a real thick heal (which I liked since I'm more of a forefoot striker).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future I had a Morton's neuroma. It was confirmed with an ultrasound scan. The scan showed the neuroma to be 13mm by 5mm. I was told by an orthopaedic consultant surgeon that the best option for me was surgery to remove the neuroma. The pain I was getting was excruciating........like really sharp electric shocks. I had the surgery and was on crutches for 2 weeks. The result is BRILLIANT :-) No pain at all. Before the surgery I had tried cushioning in my running orthoses; but it didn't help much. I was told my neuroma was too large for a steroid injection to have a sustained benefit. The surgery removed the neuroma and also some of the actual nerve. The neuroma was between my 3rd and 4th metatarsal. As a consequence of part of the nerve been removed surgically- I now have a persistently numb area between my toes. this I must admit concerned me initially. It feels like a crease is present in my sock. However- I hardly notice it now. I get NO PAIN whatsoever now. From the shoe point of view.......I have recently started running in Hoka one Cliftons https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-running-shoes-for-mortons-neuroma-reviews/ I loved them so much that I have also got for my birthday another model of Hoka. These shoes are extremely well cushioned- the best cushioning of any shoe I have tried. Fitz- I hope the yoga sandals help. Please keep us informed how you are getting on. I certainly couldn't run with my neuroma.....it was bad enough walking. Take it easy if you are still able to run. I am guessing running 16m is just aggravating the neuroma. often look at Youtube for different videos on this topic, I will leave one here, maybe this will be useful to someone in the future
Good Luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fptMh1FeccE
Last edited by: Vityno: Jun 13, 18 23:19
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for Morton's foot. [Vityno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Youtube link provided does not work for me; I can attest to having a wider shoe like the Altras has helped my ongoing neuroma pain.

I had neuroma surgery in 2011 (left) and 2016 (right) and the pain has returned on the left as a stump neuroma. So just getting surgery hasn't fixed the problem permanently for me. I am now attempting to resolve what caused them in the first place and I think that the Hokas were too tight for me.

Calluses on the inside of both feet caused by shoes rubbing should go away if there is no longer any friction. I sincerely hope that the pain goes away as well, as my trip to Ironman Cozumel is already paid for...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply