Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM just got more expensive....today
Quote | Reply
I've just started doing IM events, but I'm already getting turned off to the Walt Disney style capitalism of this company.

http://ironman.com/...rogram#axzz13ZmJrFxO

A grand for early access to already difficult to register for and expensive events? It will be even more difficult for the non-members to get a spot.
Quote Reply
Re: IM just got more expensive....today [SpeedAgent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I didn't see the other thread before I posted this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unbelievable....but I guess not surprising. So now IM is not just a race on the course, the real race begins with registration, and yes - money (now $1K) does by "speed." I wonder what the 2nd chance at the lottery does it the number of available slots?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a guy who has become so turned off that he is thinking of doing his own personal IM. He'll just set up the distances, do the event from his home and get a couple of friends as volunteer support. IMHO, that makes him just as much an Iron Man as somebody doing a dot.com race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the premise that I can sign up early. Hell, I'd even pay the 1k annual membership, but to still have to pay full price for a race is kind of ridiculous. It would have been nice if they would offer a substantial discount off the general entry price.

Just my $.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I read that right, for $1000 you get a subscription to Lava.
Quote Reply
Re: IM just got more expensive....today [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but you get an official membership ID card!!!

I guess if you have $ to burn and want to absolutely guarantee you get into a specific event instead of taking your chances with the open online registration you could go this route. But then again, you could spend that $1k to fly to the race site, spectate/volunteer and otherwise enjoy the race and sign up on-site for the following year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM just got more expensive....today [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But then again, you could spend that $1k to fly to the race site, spectate/volunteer and otherwise enjoy the race and sign up on-site for the following year.

So true...and more fun than flipping the pages of Lava or watching the DVD. However, it would be pretty cool if one was interested in doing 2-3 IM's in one year and had the $$ to burn.
Quote Reply
Re: IM just got more expensive....today [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Unbelievable....but I guess not surprising. So now IM is not just a race on the course, the real race begins with registration, and yes - money (now $1K) does by "speed." I wonder what the 2nd chance at the lottery does it the number of available slots?

Unbelievable is correct. the Ironman brand is just as bad as the Rock N Roll chain selling half marathon entries for $145. Some of those races don't sell out on day one so what is the point of joining?

Quote | Reply
Why not just pay the $700 or whatever it is for a community fund slot? Your are pretty much guaranteed one as long as you don't wait around too long plus your money is going to charity not to WTC. It might be worth $1000 if you could sign up AFTER general entry was closed, therefore not having to commit 1 year in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM just got more expensive....today [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why not just pay the $700 or whatever it is for a community fund slot? Your are pretty much guaranteed one as long as you don't wait around too long plus your money is going to charity not to WTC. It might be worth $1000 if you could sign up AFTER general entry was closed, therefore not having to commit 1 year in advance.

And you would get the tax write off. Pretty sure the $1000 membership is not tax deductable LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people don't know this, but there are plenty of non douche branded IM's, 2 of which are the best in the 48 states. Vineman and B2B(have not done B2B, but heard amazing reviews). Tell IM to pound sand and try either. You will love Vineman. I would pay full Vineman entry over a free slot to any MDot race.
Last edited by: NoTam: Oct 27, 10 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, they are not forcing anybody to spend the $1000. If you don't see value in what IM is offering, then don't buy the membership package.

IM is simply pushing the envelope to see how many ways it can monetize its products and services. If it works for them, then it is pretty clever.

In Reply To:
I've just started doing IM events, but I'm already getting turned off to the Walt Disney style capitalism of this company.

http://ironman.com/...rogram#axzz13ZmJrFxO

A grand for early access to already difficult to register for and expensive events? It will be even more difficult for the non-members to get a spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question about it, the WTC is trying to squeeze out as much money from the IRON MAN brand as possible. What's next? IRON MAN toilet paper?

On a related note, It looks like this $1000 early registration program is about as worthless as used toilet paper for athletes looking to compete in Iron Man St. George:

http://www.ironmanstgeorge.com/entry.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i say fine, whatever. ya it be totally awesome to race some IM races, but theres some other great companies that are growing that i think soon will be competing with IM which will hopefully bring the prices lower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly new to this sport, and I came in with a high regard of WTC. But it the last year and a half, I've been more and more turned off. Add this to:

Increase in fees
requiring blackouts that hurt local races
choosing course drinks that are undrinkable/awful
slapping Ironman on anything that sells.
Disregard of their own rule book (drafting)

The only other corporation that I can think of that was screwing it's consumers to this level was Microsoft.

Ironman is getting watered down. Doing my first iron-distance event at a WTC event is looking a lot less likely.

Walt Disney = Microsoft = Ironman ??

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It hurts me every day I watch WTC strangle the sport that I love. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to do these races but it's definitely getting prohibitively expensive for many. I really hope that one of the other race organizations can get a foothold and generate SOME competition, but the way Ironman is monopolizing the season with the new kona pro qualifier scheme I think it's going to be an uphill battle for a while still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know which is worse, that some athletes will pay for this or WTC creating it. Bastards. Silverman and B2B look a lot more interesting to me, now.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: IM just got more expensive....today [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you.

I wonder if I will have to pony up $1,000 frogs to get into an IM for 2012? Sheesh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heh, i wonder how many memberships they plan on capping it at. aren't most of these races relatively easy to get into through online registration? plus if the continue to increase the number of entries they will allow per race, it shouldn't be a huge problem?
Quote Reply
Re: IM just got more expensive....today [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already know 2 people that have doen this on their own...I am thinking of doing something like this as a group fun event next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thread title is flat out wrong. IM did not get more expensive today. The entry fee is the same as it was yesterday. You now have the OPTION to purchase the right to enter IM races before the general public. But you are not required to do so. If IM comes out with a new shirt with the ironman logo on it, does that mean IM is now more expensive because IM is selling another product?
Quote Reply
Re: IM just got more expensive....today [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure WTC knows its IM customer demographics rather well. I'm sure there's a fair percentage of those customers who could sneeze $1,000.

I agree with other post. It seems you'd need to do at least 2 IM'S to make it work. Otherwise, go for the $1,000 charity slot and the tax deduction.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, IF this wasn't an elitest sport before, this puts it over the edge in my book. I guess this will be my last year for IM (barring a Kona slot at IMAZ).

For those of you responding "there are plenty of other great non-WTC races out there", or the like, do those races offer Kona slots?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, don't forget about the impressive philanthropy and millions of dollars donated to charity through their Janus Corporate CEO Challenge and their community spot programs.

Disney may be an apt analogy- as Ironman has captured imaginations, built and maintained a dream against the odds and contributed to charity and the sporting community on a massive, massive scale. Disney has programs for handicapped and terminally ill children to visit their parks and attractions free and with assistance, provides our Armed Forces with free admission to the park if they are scheduled for a deployment and otherwise given back to the community in droves.

Same with Ironman through enormous donations to local volunteer organizations and massive influxes of capital into the local economy where their events are hosted.

Ask a hotel owner in Penticton, Lake Placid, Kona, Phoenix, Madison if they like Ironman. Ask a restauranteur. Ask a convenience store owner. And most importantly, ask the guy who just crossed the finish line after months of preparation for his/her first Ironman.

Expensive? Hmmm. It takes a lot of money to be involved but I'll suggest the return is commensurate or even greater.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next