Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...?
Quote | Reply
LBS has Cervelo bikes with blemishes. Large discount to buy them. They are still under full warranty. Supposedly some paint issues, etc.

Is this ok to buy? Any chance the blemish could be, or lead to, a crack in the carbon fiber? I really don't care if it's just an issue visually.

It's a good price, just not sure if getting a bike with a blemish is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [teege] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just a guess...I'm in no way an expert...but I would be shocked if a LBS sold a bike they knew to be unsafe or had any risks of being compromised by these "blemishes."

My guess would be that because they are willing to sell it, they don't believe there are any safety concerns with the frame.

Drew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
worth it!
most of the time the blemishes are pretty small. paint drip etc.

if its a good price, go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about a shop near Toronto? i've been to Wheels of Bloor and they seem to have a number of N.O.S bikes from the Cervelo factory.

In any case, I would first make sure that they are in fact a recognized Cervelo dealer. If not, then Cervelo would not warranty any claims or stand behind the quality of the bike. You could also call Cervelo customer support to see if this is a legit practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"Blemish" bikes sold by LBS

AKA, Bikes the Shop Guys Have Been Riding Around for Three Months Which They Cannot Sell As New.
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong. Cervelos sent from the factory labeled as "blemish" bikes by Cervelo itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a certain online shop located in Boulder that sold blemish Cervelo frames for a large discount. By the looks of it they only have a few P3 in size 51 available.
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wrong. Cervelos sent from the factory labeled as "blemish" bikes by Cervelo itself.

In general, I'm in agreement w/ you about the Cervelo brand. To the OP, I'd take a blem Cervelo any day. I also believe you get the warranty with the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would you recommend these blemished bikes based on what you know about them ? or would you go with a "new" bike ?
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [stealth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I would recommend them
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [stealth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP deleted his thread, but he bought the blem Cervelo bike, and then had issues with, well, the blemishes:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3052418

It's like a used bike with a warranty. I'd buy one any day as long is the blem is minor.
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The OP deleted his thread, but he bought the blem Cervelo bike, and then had issues with, well, the blemishes:

No. The blemishes are fine.

Do you try to tool up every thread you post in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

No, really it depends on my mood. I'd say like 40%, maybe more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a "blemish" S2. On the (white) frame, there is a black mark that wouldn't come out with scrubbing. It's not big or deep enough to be a carbon flaw, but since nobody wants to spend $6,000 on an imperfect bike, I got it for cheap.

I do second the "Shop employees have ridden hundreds of miles on it" theory. That was definitely the case in this same shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervélo does not sell blemished bikes or seconds or anything like that. Most likely these are used bikes and they aren't warrantied. If you have any questions then send an email and ask Cervélo if the LBS is an authorized Cervélo dealer.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [TheDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excel sports sells new, blemished Cervelos, and they are pretty reputable.

Beware random internet experts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

No. The blemishes are fine.

Maybe if you didn't make three threads on two different forums seeking opinions on the same issue (And getting the same answers) you wouldn't reap the rewards.

oh, and just FYI, when you delete a post after 6 people have already replied, the post title and stuff is in the quoted posts, everyone knows what you were talking about anyway.

And even though you think nick's being a "tool" (Gotta love the euphemisms that people come up with when they are too squeamish to actually say the word "dick"), he's got a point. If I'm buying a frame that is a known blemish frame, I'm going to look at it carefully first. If I see the seatpost/seat wear and scratches, I'm going to ask.

If you want a comparison, when you move into an apartment you note all current damage in the apartment (i.e. inspect the place). If you don't note the damage, you assume responsibility for it. It's pretty much the same thing here IMHO. You didn't inspect/note the damage before buying a frame with known defects. Caveat Emptor.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a blemished R3 frameset about 9 months ago from Excel Sports out of Boulder.

Called them up and the guy on the phone personally picked up the frames in my size and described the blemishes to me. He started laughing when he picked one of them and said he was glad they marked the blemish, because he wouldn't have been able to find it otherwise.

I took that one and he was right. Frame looked pristine, it had never been built up.

Go for it. Great deal. Customer service was top notch as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my Blem Dual from insideout 3 or 4 years ago, less than dime size white spot under the clearcoat on the top tube where there is a decal.

For $999, well worth the spot I only think about or notice when these threads come up.

Great communication from a shop more than 1k away.
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [bvfrompc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone on BT just got a blemished Cervelo and sounds like it is in worse shape than he expected. Here is the link...
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [persondude27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I bought a "blemish" S2. On the (white) frame, there is a black mark that wouldn't come out with scrubbing. It's not big or deep enough to be a carbon flaw, but since nobody wants to spend $6,000 on an imperfect bike, I got it for cheap.

I do second the "Shop employees have ridden hundreds of miles on it" theory. That was definitely the case in this same shop.

Which shop? Can you PM me the name if you don't want to display to the public. You keep writing about living in the Boulder area and that's where I live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know an LBS manager who rides a "blemish" Trek 6.9 because Trek can't sell it as new.

The problem? They forgot the "T" on the downtubes and the stores's Trek rep didn't want to sent the frame back for repainting. We tease the guy all the time about his "Rek", but he laughs at us as well since he only paid $500 for it!
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think of it this way. After about a month of riding any frame it will have more blemishes than one of these "blemish" frames.
Quote Reply
Re: "Blemish" bikes sold by LBS...? [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Someone on BT just got a blemished Cervelo and sounds like it is in worse shape than he expected. Here is the link...

Man that thread seems to be gone to... I want to see what he complained about... but all the threads seem to get pulled.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply