Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Nearly 200 Swimmers Rescued During L.A. Triathlon"
Quote | Reply
What do you think of that headline?

http://www.ktla.com/...cues,0,4209433.story

There is so much wrong with this. 169, nearly 200? OK, rounding up, but it's a stretch. Rescued? what's the definition? the story actually says 169 swimmers were "helped out of the water" by lifeguards. Dragged out? Sledded out? Brought on a boat? Picked them up after the fell in a hole while exiting the surf? What the hell does that mean?

I wasn't there, but we had reports on this site, and BT and facebook, this was the first I had heard of the mass "rescues". Had this been true, the sites wold have been screaming. Conditions were reported to be calm (way calmer than last year).

I know triathletes get a bad rap in the water. And sometimes it's well deserved. But this is just shoddy attention catching "journalism"
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 8, 10 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: "Nearly 200 Swimmers Rescued During L.A. Triathlon" [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Headless Body found in Topless Bar".

Sensational headlines produce responses like..... well, yours. It's what the publisher want.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Nearly 200 Swimmers Rescued During L.A. Triathlon" [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless the fire dept has 169 incident reports written up, it didn't happen. That would have been a simple question for the reporter to ask instead of going with what the fire dept pulled out of the air. Perhaps the fire dept had a boat/jet ski/surf board out in the water and were counting every swimmer that grabbed onto it for a breather, to adjust goggles, or for whatever reasons. It's more than possible to have 169 out 3,000 swimmers grabbing onto to something out there during the swim.

Quote | Reply
Can't wait for tomorrow's headline(s)....

Over 2000 swimmers in Hawaii exit ocean in near panic
Source tells of seeing people running out of the water wild eyed and appearing confused

Cyclists stage mass protest over Hawaiian highway
Disgusted by mobs in underwear running loose in paradise

British woman wins Men's title in Kona

Later!

Brian

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a scheme to charge more money next year. When I was a summer lifeguard, in a mild summer, they wanted us to "rescue" anyone and everyone who even looked at the surf sideways. They wanted to help assure next year's budget wouldn't be cut.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was calm once you got out to the first marker. There where some good sets and it was the luck of the draw as to what wave you where in if you were effected. Someone later told me that the mens 35-39 wave got nailed. I didn't see one rescue or even one person hanging on a board. Lot's of breast stroking, but that's for another thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there.
Surf was 1-3 with the occasional 5' set coming through. No real current to speak of. I was one of the later waves to start the Oly and I only saw the lifeguards 'assist' a few people. I didn't see anything I would call a 'rescue'.
Quote Reply
Re: "Nearly 200 Swimmers Rescued During L.A. Triathlon" [Bullseye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article I saw also said that we swam 9.3 Miles....awesome typo!

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team