Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post knee surgery ice machine
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if this is a post best displayed in classifieds, but it’s a little obscure. I have seen quite a few posts about people and knee surgeries and I find myself having a meniscus scope scheduled. I went through a similar procedure 10 years ago for my other knee and at that time I was provided with an incredible machine that pumps ice water through a membrane which was wrapped around my knee. It is basically a small ice chest with a pump and a membrane wrap.
It seems that my new insurance company does not provide for one of these devices, so I am trying to find where I may purchase one for myself. My Dr said that they make a huge difference in the speed of recovery. I see a couple of internet sites selling them, but before I buy a new one, I was thinking that some of you may have one sitting in their garages and would sell it to me for less than the cost of a new one.
This is one of the classic items that you really need it when you need it, but you generally only need it once. I know that I hauled mine around for a few moves, but ultimately tossed it because it was “clutter” in my garage and when was I ever going to use that again?
If anyone has one they want to sell, please PM me at tt.vo2max@gmail.com

Quote Reply
Re: Post knee surgery ice machine [taos111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rented mine - but the hospital set it up. It was covered by my insurance, for a certain amount of time.
It was one of those dumb $100/day, but insurance-negotiated cost was $18/day kinds of things. (Making up the numbers, it was 5 years ago).
The same company gave me my passive knee-bending machine, IIRC.
Best of luck w/surgery and recovery, w/ or w/out the icing machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of these cryocuffs with the automatic pumps/circulators: http://www.buyaircast.com/product/11A20B.html

As depressing as this sounds, I get a LOT of use out of it :p, so I can't sell it.

BUT...I got mine on ebay for about $30. MUCH cheaper than the $250 list price. For some reason, most normal people only anticipate using it once, so there are lots for sale. Lucky them. Lucky me, that I found one for cheap :-)

I've found it works really well...and I could hook up to it and not have to mess with anything for quite awhile.

You might also check knee guru forums in their classified section for the same product... but ebay is def. the cheapest I've found.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Last edited by: mmrocker13: Sep 29, 10 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I own a GameReady and not since sliced bread has anything been invented that is so joyous. Yes it would be great for your rehab but then you'll also use it for years to come for recovery from workouts and to heal other injuries that pop up. It's expensive but but worth it ~$2300 usd for the control unit and ~$340 for a large leg wrap. An option for sure - I'd be curious if your insurance would help pay for some/most/all of it and if you're gonna rent something at $100 a day for three weeks then you're nearly there.

Whatever you choose, heal quickly.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Post knee surgery ice machine [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the non-motorized version of a cryo-cuff. It's about 1/2 the price. You have to move the cooler above/below the knee periodically, to drain the warm water into the cooler and then refill it with the re-chilled water, but it's definitely worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our surgicenter uses on called Polar Care, a patient charge item billed through the Physical Therapy dept. It's a single event use item and thus less expensive. I don't generally use them for routine scopes (we have a wrap around sleeve with interchangeable ice packs for those since they only use them a day or two) but for knee reconstructions, etc. they are quite helpful.

If you don't get the lead you want here, I'll bet your local medical supply house where they sell crutches, walkers and the like could get you one quickly.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an orthopaedic knee surgeon with 22 years of experience.
I've tried all the available cryotherapy units and I generally use the Polar Care 500. This unit retails for US$200. The Aircast Cryocuff motorized unit doesn't work very well and the manual unit is a PITA. The very best is the Game Ready but it is expensive and is better rented than purchased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My insurance gave me one when I had ACL surgery but literally it was a Thermos cooler with a tube mounted to it and a neoprene wrap on the other end.
I bet you could make one yourself with a fet things from Home Depot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of these left over from my knee reconstruction. I'm not sure I want to sell it, as I occassionally have use for it, and and I wouldn't know what to ask for it anyway, but I'd be happy to loan it to you for the duration of your rehab.

Shoot me a PM if your want and I'm sure we can figure out the shipping.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Post knee surgery ice machine [Deak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What knee would you pick if you were a 55 year old former smoker? Total knee...I have a friend who is shopping, another who is Director of Ortho Trauma at a Level 2 Trauma center who is also RD for Stryker (you know his pick) and another who is a Sport Med Fellow (and IM guy) who prefers another brand....I know it is VERY patient dependent, but still....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Post knee surgery ice machine [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best indicator of knee implant design success in my opinion are the survivorship analysis from the Swedish, Norwegian and Australian joint registries. The Swedish registry is the oldest and has catalogued and followed all joints put in in that country for over 35 years. There is no company influenced bias in the results. In reviewing the data from all three registries, currently the two best joints according to outcomes are the Depuy LCS rotating platform and the Zimmer NGK. I think either are excellent. Although the outcomes are heavily surgeon and patient dependent, if you eliminate all the other variables, these knees out survive the others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think i saw one on the classifieds a while ago but had a shoulder attachment. Should be able to get the knee attachment off the site.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=ice;#2989948

Think trash talk was selling it....
Quote Reply
Re: Post knee surgery ice machine [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To supplement Deak, it's also the choice of what the surgeon is comfortable with, what the surgical team is comfortable with, etc. For example, most of us at our hospital use the Depuy knee and after you've done a few hundred of anything, you know the strengths and weaknesses of the prosthesis and the guides to implant it. The patient shouldn't be hesitant to have this discussion with their surgeon.

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
taos111 wrote:
I am not sure if this is a post best displayed in classifieds, but it�s a little obscure. I have seen quite a few posts about people and knee surgeries and I find myself having a meniscus scope scheduled. I went through a similar procedure 10 years ago for my other knee and at that time I was provided with an incredible machine that pumps ice water through a membrane which was wrapped around my knee. It is basically a small ice chest with a pump and a membrane wrap.
It seems that my new insurance company does not provide for one of these devices, so I am trying to find where I may purchase knee surgery ice machine for myself. My Dr said that they make a huge difference in the speed of recovery. I see a couple of internet sites selling them, but before I buy a new one, I was thinking that some of you may have one sitting in their garages and would sell it to me for less than the cost of a new one.
This is one of the classic items that you really need it when you need it, but you generally only need it once. I know that I hauled mine around for a few moves, but ultimately tossed it because it was �clutter� in my garage and when was I ever going to use that again?
If anyone has one they want to sell, please PM me at tt.vo2max@gmail.com

The machine I borrowed from the hospital before seems to be the Vive brand. Physiotherapy 6 times a week, 3 times a week, this is a better way I have never been. It no longer feels pain, but stretching and exercising the joints can help a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Post knee surgery ice machine [harharley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m really hoping he’s fully recovered from his surgery by now.
Quote Reply