Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. I'll start with the 65/45 and try to get the install done with enough cable in the down tube to facilitate future changes(except the front brake, knowing ahead of time helps).

A tweener stem would be cool(I would undoubtedly order a new stem between the 100/10 and the 60/45 right away if it were available). However, it's not really "necessary". I am significantly less worried about my basebar grip position than I am about my aero position.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ill be at interbike as an obsever,,,coincidentaly ive decided to buy a sc 9 in the next few months but no one knows the bike here (maybe because they r roadie shops) i know the show is only for the trade but wonder if i should use the trip to nail down criteria for the decision?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if I'll need anything to use this torque wrench on all the parts:
http://www.parktool.com/...cat=13&item=TW-5

Looking at the assembly instructions, some of the areas on the stem look too tight to fit the torque wrench with standard hex bits.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say thats a big YES. I am personally not the most mechanically inclined and have had a couple stripping issues based on the fact that certain spots require a lot of torque and certain spots..not so much. But thats just me.

Making Triathlon Great Again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With a SC 9 on it's way I'm tossing back and forth trying to make the 65/45 stem work, or just getting a 100/10 right off the bat. I'm on the edge for pad height if I setup the 65/45 in its lowest setting(~13cm drop) but the basebar would be pretty good in reach and height.

Anyone know if the 100/10s are available? Cost?

Carl, any chance we'd see tweener stems(80/25) in the next year? I know it's a stretch but a man can hope.

If I set up the bike with a 65/45 stem would I be able to switch to the 100/10 stem without completely cutting and installing new housing and having to get new cables?

The MSRP retail price for my 100/45 stem was $199. I assume that is the standard price for any SC stem.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, there is no way you got a tubie in that draft box! How??? BTW, I taped the Pitstop to the lid of the draft box. Fits pretty well behind the seat post.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude, there is no way you got a tubie in that draft box! How??? BTW, I taped the Pitstop to the lid of the draft box. Fits pretty well behind the seat post.

My bet is if you ran a Tufo S-3 lite either 18 or 19 mm you'd get in the draft box.

Having said that, I use Pro S-3 21 mm for my spares. If I really wanted to get that tubular in there I'd try a 18/19 mm but in IMWI roads that might not be the best. I tried the putting the pitstop in the draft box but I did have issues removing the lid easily and thought in a race situation that might not be ideal. So I went with this setup.

I don't run Tufos on my bike but I think they make excellent spares because I can jam them up into the seat and not worry about rubbing/sidewall damage and they fold better then Vittoria which I use on my bike. I think you can do better than taping your pitstop to the top of your draft box.

This is my setup for IMWI last week and it worked nicely and everything is tucked away, you can barely see the pitstop from the front section. Actually there isn't anything special about this versus non speed concept setups. In addition, I went with a water bottle between the bars and my nutrition on the downtube holder so I didn't need bottles off the back. Also note, some of the tire is run up to the nose so the rest of it fits securely between the rails - you'd want to run what is needed based on your rails (at the rail contact points, the tire has electrical tape just in case it does rub). If I flatted, I could remove the pitstop and still have the tire secured in the event pitstop worked (tire secured to seat, pitstop secured to tire).

This setup did not move one bit during the race.

Last edited by: TundraCat: Sep 18, 10 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this was already asked/answered, but does anyone have a fix for the rubber stem cover that seems to fall out every single ride? I generally leave it off, but have a few races coming up, and would like to use it.

Thanks!

Jake
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dubd71771] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a little trouble with the rubber cap with the 60/45 stem. The key is getting it to seat correctly. Try using a long handled Allen wrench, maybe 3-4mm.....and gently pushing the "hook" into the frame from the inside of the cap. I have Di2 so I'm missing a few cables, but I also found it much easier if I made sure the cable notches were wrapping the cables correctly. (Note: my LBS tried trimming the inside/sides of the cap to provide better clearance. It did not work.)

Interestingly, when I switched to the 100/45 stem, all the issues with that part disappeared.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dubd71771] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A cover that comes out every ride may not have been 100% installed to begin with. I like to make sure the aft point is fully seated first and then work on the front two corners. Easy to see with the toptube at eye level if all three are in there.

To make it easier to get everything pushed down into the access hole I've heard of users cutting out the material in between the 3-hole pattern.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any value in installing a third brake on the SC, either on the aero bars or splitting and having 1-2 on base bar {ala "suicide brakes"}?

Don't have experience riding yet, so wanted to investigate before shop gets the SC in.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [cinderfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a bait? Ill take it seriously though... um, prolly not a lot of need for any other brakes than the two on the base bar. Any other stuff hanging off the SC will start to hurt the very expensive aerodynamics that you paid for when you bought a SC. Have fun with a really sweet bike!

-----------------------------
Full disclosure: Zwift, former Zipp and SRAM Design Engineer
Last edited by: karl_a_hall: Sep 21, 10 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [karl_a_hall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. Not not a bait, just trying to anticipate any issues before arrival of the SC at the end of next month.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just built her up today, can't wait to ride!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow....slammed! Nice looking rig! I'm pretty sure your post takes the cake for worst photo quality.....thanks for relieving me of the title!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea iPhone 4 takes crappy pictures that are yellow-tinted. Damn you Apple...Love the bike though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the fix for the paint cracks go in - Any feel for what the likely hood of getting my fork replaced will be?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM'ing ya...

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I have looked on both Trek & Bontrager websites, however I do not see the Draft Box (the one behind the seat) or the other storage box (the one located on the top tube). On the Trek site I did locate the bag that goes into the draft box. Can you direct me to a location that shows the these two accessories which includes the colors they can be ordered in?

Also, can you tell me how much the Bontrager SSR wheels VS Race XL Aeros weight, those specifications are not listed on the Bontrager website. I am considering putting Bontrager RaceXL Areos on the bike as long as they are not excessively heavy.

Thank you

Mark
Northern California
Trek 1500 SLR Road
Trek SC7 Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MKAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The draft box is included with the bike.... However, I would be curious to know when version 2.0 is available. I have seen 2.0 out in the wild. Carl any dates? I would also like to thank Carl for being such an active participant on this bike. I'm not sure if it is part of the job description but if it isn't even more power to you and I hope someone lets the boss know all the outside work you are doing.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just built her up today, can't wait to ride!

Love the look of the S-Bends w/ the Di2 shifters. I have one on order w/ Di2. I really liked the feel of the stock extensions on the bike I test rode, even though I think they're ugly. I'll probably keep them, but those S-Bends look nice.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The draft box is included with the bike....

The draft box does not come standard on the 7 series, it has to be purchased separately.

Mark
Northern California
Trek 1500 SLR Road
Trek SC7 Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry didn't realize you were talking 7.0.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Race X Lite Aeros weigh in at 1770 grams, with Velox rim tape installed, according to my scale. So for comparisons sake about 1750 grams without the tape.

A quick google search revealed a claimed weight of ~2200 for the SSRs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Race X Lite Aeros weigh in at 1770 grams, with Velox rim tape installed, according to my scale. So for comparisons sake about 1750 grams without the tape.

A quick google search revealed a claimed weight of ~2200 for the SSRs.

Runless,

Thanks for the reply. Have you used the X lite Aeros enough to get a feel how they perform? When my SC7 arrives in a few weeks. I plan on changing out the SSR with some X Lite Aeros my LBS has. Since I am an amateur age grouper, I decided not to spend a ton of cash on wheels but knew I would probably change out the SSR's with something else.

Mark

Mark
Northern California
Trek 1500 SLR Road
Trek SC7 Triathlon
Quote Reply

Prev Next