Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Touché
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [jdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but I gotta admit, I didn't notice the bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which way do I go...uh....which way do I go?
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell, I didn't really notice anything at first. I wouldn't have picked out the Di2, the frame make or anything. Just some mild amusement from the helmet and wheels, the latter of which I've also not encountered.

All I can say is I hope the kid has fun and counts his/her blessings. What a machine!
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [Black Plague] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a daughter about this age who does a kids tri every once and a while. She looks a lot like the little girl wearing the skirt and rides a bike with tassels hanging from her handlebars. When she finishes a race, she has a big smile on her face. She will probably be doing triathlons and other athletic events for many years to come because they are fun and she enjoys them. The kid, in the photo, with the aero helmet and several thousand dollar bike will probably burn out sooner than later. I hope this was a staged photo and not from a real race.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [Hurry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a daughter about this age who does a kids tri every once and a while. She looks a lot like the little girl wearing the skirt and rides a bike with tassels hanging from her handlebars. When she finishes a race, she has a big smile on her face. She will probably be doing triathlons and other athletic events for many years to come because they are fun and she enjoys them. The kid, in the photo, with the aero helmet and several thousand dollar bike will probably burn out sooner than later. I hope this was a staged photo and not from a real race.

What you mention is very true, but that applies only to normal kids.

Some abnormal kids take things very seriously since very young (Carlos Sastre (8), Lance Armstrong (10), Hunter Kemper (10), to name three) and never burn out, or they do, but after many years of being a pro. Some other great riders also start very young, realize they don't have what it takes to be a pro, but keep racing succesfully into the veteran ranks (I know a few of these). It depends on the kid.

Regarding the aero helmet. I once saw a photo of Arnie Baker breaking away on a road race wearing what seemed to be an LG Rocket helmet. I asked him why he was using it, he said that because it was legal under USAC rules and because it gave him an edge (at least the first time I guess). Go figure.

I guess that kid in the photo is just a kid on a nice bike using dad's or mom's helmet and wheels. I am more worried about the girl to her right, whose parents let her race blindfolded.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha if that bike is $10,000, I'm gonna sell one for $5000, turn a profit, and use the money to buy a new speed concept! HOLY SHIT! I WONT EVEN HAVE TO GET A JOB I COULD JUST KEEP SELLING $50 FRAMES FOR 10,000!!!! ... god people are retarded

Is this Ridiculous? yes. Is he spoiled? hardly. The kids got his parents wheels + aero helmet on a random mountain bike frame, maybe $200 max.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clearly, you haven't read the entire thread, its a custom frame with di2, the wheels are 650's that lightweight doesn't make anymore.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
haha if that bike is $10,000, I'm gonna sell one for $5000, turn a profit, and use the money to buy a new speed concept! HOLY SHIT! I WONT EVEN HAVE TO GET A JOB I COULD JUST KEEP SELLING $50 FRAMES FOR 10,000!!!! ... god people are retarded

Is this Ridiculous? yes. Is he spoiled? hardly. The kids got his parents wheels + aero helmet on a random mountain bike frame, maybe $200 max.

"god people are retarded"

Including you apparently.

That's a handbuilt KirkLee carbon frame. The wheels are 650's ordered specifically for this bike because Lightweight wasn't making 650's anymore. Say what you want about a kid that age having a custom $10k bike, but the bottom line is that it's a beautifully built bike...

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I don't see anything wrong there. It's possible she is a bike racer starting early in her life. The parents happen to have enough money to spend it on her.

Some people spend $50,000+ on cars and boats, why not 10,000 on bikes?

We may see her in the World Champs or Olympics in 10 to 12 years

jaretj

+1

I don't have a problem with how other people spend their own money.

Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [shaymike2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, that is a great comment about the super sweet 16 show.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [jdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad they stuck Tufo's on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

When asked what irks him he replied,
"Cheats, smokers and arrogance. In that order."
-C. Stoltz
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [OldArmy07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldArmy07 wrote:
I bet more than that... I don't see any 650c wheels on lightweight's website - custom.

Di2 as well with an extra set of button shifters on the basebar and a third brake lever.

If I were a kid I would be jealous.

I am an adult and jealous of the kid. I have no Di2, or lightweight wheels. I want to be like him!

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [EightySixer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How? How did you dig up a 5 year old topic?
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Dilbert and All,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbert_Dunker

Still remember using the Dilbert Dunker.

The old thread begs the question ................. whatever happened to the kid?

I see Kirklee is still in business. http://www.kirkleebicycles.com/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
How? How did you dig up a 5 year old topic?

Perhaps it took him this long to come up with a caption. Don't hate the slower people at the back of the pack.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Apollo Ohno looks bigger in TV"

"One kid heard there are KQ slots for their age group"

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have extremely stupid parents"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I can't prove it, it looks like they all lost their timing chips.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking a cue from her Canadian mentor mom, she looked to her left and knew those lightweight wheels and aero helmet worn by her chief rival were no match for a course cutter.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny picture (got a caption?) [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:
Taking a cue from her Canadian mentor mom, she looked to her left and knew those lightweight wheels and aero helmet worn by her chief rival were no match for a course cutter.
Oh dear, what have I done, but #### that made me laugh.
Quote Reply

Prev Next