Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
INFINIT is now banned from IM Expos...need your imput
Quote | Reply
All ST peeps. I have a question for you. Looking for creative ideas, and I know that you are just the right crowd for this task.

I am sure that you know about the new contract for the “Official Sports Drink of Ironman”. We now have been kicked out of the Expos barring us from any official participation with ANY of the M-dot events because of the 10 year contract. That includes all IM’s and 70.3’s for 10 years. This is NOT a rant against Ironman Brand, they do what is good for their wallet and I understand that. They have been great for us. IM needs this to work to prove that the M-Dot brand can sell more than just watches. (FYI Gatorade was always totally good with INFINIT. Their company from top to bottom actually has the confidence to stand behind their product and take on all comers, I respect that big time). This new sponsor has done this to us before SEVERAL times. In school, I am sure they all got a report cards saying that “They don’t play well with others”.

This all stems from the fact that we out hustled them in Lake Placid, Lou. and Madison. We stomped them. They just sit in their booth with a bunch of hourly workers and expect you (the sheep) to blindly follow the M-Dot brand and buy their drink like Pavlov’s Dog. I am not exactly sure where or when you can purchase the drink…but whatever. You all know by now that we are uber-aggressive, all over the town with our mobile beverage packs, at the swim practice, hosting events at the INFINIT House and cheering you guys and gals from morning ‘till midnight. We work our asses off. Their answer should be to work freeken’ smarter and harder. But no, they take the easy way and write a fat check and “think” that we will go away. LOL

Not so fast my friend…we are still going to be there with a vengeance inside or outside the fence. At this point after 5 years of this madness we are close to the #1 product on the course that people are carrying. We will be there, the question is how. This is a classic case of “The Man” trying to keep an up-and comer down. Bottom line, they are scared of us.

This is where you come in. This is the most creative, psychotic and out of control group that I know (and love). We are thinking of doing something BIG in Kona, but are also planning for all of 2011. Short of dressing in face paint and camo, grabbing the AK and going postal, what would you guys do? Think outside the box and be creative.

I am all ears...

Michael

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: INFINIT is now banned from IM Expos...need your imput [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parasailing with the Infinit Logo on the chute right outside the swim zone.

Infinit logo built out of those white rocks on the side of the bike course..(would that be visible from the air near the Timex Time Bonus area?)

Infinit branded vuvuzelas?..wait..everyone hates those things now..

Community sponsor ME to kamikaze the gatorade stations? Ha.

on further thought..I was going to suggest you give out Infinit Bucks to people who pretend to throw up that new Gatorade product..but after tasting it..I dont think you need to pay anyone to do that..

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Last edited by: spomeroy: Sep 14, 10 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: INFINIT is now banned from IM Expos...need your imput [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coffee of hawaii has got the boat on the swim course during training. Why not a submarine? Dive under to taste the infinite beverage.

Rent lava java forthe week

Offer free custom solution for all challenged athletes

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn! You must scare the shit out of Nestle! Can you setup a stand in one of the host hotels? Or do like how Adidas does set your truck out side the expo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
find a loop hole and set up your own aid stations on the course

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time for some old fashioned guerilla marketing tactics. You clearly do not need to be inside the expo fence to be successful. There are lots of places to set up. How about another "floating kiosk" like the coffees of Hawaii one? Or maybe a promo involving a year's supply of Infinit to the top Ager male/female. Seems like you could get a lot of mileage out of that sort of thing.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: INFINIT is now banned from IM Expos...need your imput [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like the lava java idea. From what I have read and seen, everyone that is anyone tends to go there at least some point in the week.
M~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two words: INFINIT Speakeasies.

(I'll take my payment in INFINIT, thanks).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry man. i use the stuff! for years now! I love infinit! i mix mine three times stong and carry two bottles on the bike and the run

here is my idea, sponsor me and i will promote you in Kona. I will wear your stuff all week and during my race. i can even hand out stuff or work the crowd of athletes. i will even dress up for the underwear run!

good luck. you have a great product. eventually that is what matters.
Quote Reply
Re: INFINIT is now banned from IM Expos...need your imput [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Damn! You must scare the shit out of Nestle! Can you setup a stand in one of the host hotels? Or do like how Adidas does set your truck out side the expo.

LOL, silly isn't it?

Great ideas people. We are seriously reading each and every one.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely think you should do something HUGE in Kona....mainly because I will be there and am a huge Infinit fan! Aside from that, I would take this for what it is, you got money whipped by a "competitor."

I am really surprised Gatorade did not require an exclusivity deal (poor lawyering on their part, IMO).

Infinit will continue to succeed as you all have a superior product, superior customer service and superior work ethic. At the end of the day, that is what athletes want and not the mdot logo.

Now again...don't forget, something HUGE in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This all stems from the fact that we out hustled them in Lake Placid, Lou. and Madison. We stomped them. They just sit in their booth with a bunch of hourly workers and expect you (the sheep) to blindly follow the M-Dot brand and buy their drink like Pavlov’s Dog.
Probably an upfair assumption assuming they are paid hourly employees, when you have a vested interest in the outcome.

You're now a Bud Light vendor trying to sell beer at Coor's field - it aint going to happen. Looks like you guys are going to be standing on soap boxes in the public square :-( BUT - you guys are great and have a great product, keep up the good work.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Hmm, seems they really don't want any competition. Frankly, I don't know how you compete with an on course drink supplier but, then again, I don't know a damn thing about anything, lol.. but, I'll take a stab.

1. Is there a way to get a list of participants and spam them ahead of the races?
2. I would assume you can still get a permit and put up a booth/tent near by the race. Obviously, near the start/finish line would be good. I can't see why you can setup in any public area.
3. Host a pre race dinner or contest or message, etc.. at a hotel that is next to the hosting hotel?? All hotels have a conference centers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sponsor me. I'm a 5:30/12:00 guy, so people will get a good, long (slow) look at my kit and advertising therein.

OK, that's silly. Fix has a good idea, though I'd take it a step further by suggesting you set up advertising on the floor of the bay, directing people to your booth somewhere else, and to your Web site. I dig Captain Canada's idea, too, though as I said before, I'll get you more exposure and ROI. Set up in a hotel, not necessarily one of the host hotels, but one where you know racers are staying.

And here's where I tread a familiar path (insert pink font): Why do you need customized hydration??? In my day we did these things on bananas and water!!! You'll take what's on the course and like it!!!

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Josďż˝ Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Michael, couldn't you just pay a local or two who live on the course to let you set up in their yard? I would think the road would be public property so technically you probably couldn't be on their since it's the race course, but if you're say 5ft off of it in someone's private property yard I don't see why not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to Albert and see if you can get on the CoH boat. (I don't remember if you're already there...)

Set up a few "unofficial" aid stations the week leading up to the race - on the highway at the entrance to the Energy Lab, on Pay 'n Save hill, and somewhere down by the King Kam.

Nuun got huge exposure a few years ago by hanging out at the pier (and other areas) and handing out water bottles with tablets of the stuff. They had nice custom printed bottles that said "Kona 2008" on them, so people were inclined to keep them as souvenirs.

If you've got the budget, Infinit cowbells would be kickass.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
race tops and bottom's? Team Ininfinit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly i see nothing wrong with it. Why not try to shut out the competition? That said athletes like free stuff and cool events. A nutritian seminar, a taste test with the custom options (one issue with your product is tasting all the combos).

Ideally you could get your stuff on the couse but I suspect thats difficult.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to Church, fix your karma - you may did something wrong like forgetting to pay performance bonuses to some pros........

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys need more brand awareness and I think one of the ways to do that is more/better gear. More face time via hats, jerseys, shorts, visors, stickers, etc. For the most part, every novice or newbie I talk to (and even some veterans) have never heard of Infinit before. Most of your clothing and gear is pretty fugly...sorry, but it is. Change up the color scheme a little bit - the bumble-bee yellow, black and white has seen its day. Toss in a free visor, jersey or training shirt to orders over a certain threshold. Better yet, throw in something small for free. 99% of your revenue comes from AGers who are not sponsored, have no loyalty to a specific brand and will whatever looks cool and is comfortable. How many finishers at an IM do you see that have just the plain ol' Sugoi, Zoot, Craft, TYR tri jersey? Wouldn't it be worth it to put a bunch of those people in an Infinit jersey or visor? Give them something to wear that promotes your great product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondered why you booth was gone on Saturday, that just sucks. I am definitely looking forward to seeing what you do in Kona.

On a lighter note, I think I may have heard their product called out by it's correct name a very few times on course. It was almost always "Gatorade"...maybe they should focus on that too.
Quote Reply
Re: INFINIT is now banned from IM Expos...need your imput [seel98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the idea. You don't have to make a huge profit on the technical stuff, but one thing athletes love and need is a good kit. If you price it right, you could have 500 athletes wearing Infinit kits on the course.

Get them made and price them on your web site and offer a deal. "Buy the kit and wear it at Kona and earn free product." If the athlete sends you a picture of them in the kit at Kona they get a discount or some free product. Win/win. Sell them at Kona with the same deal.

Edited to add: I'm sure Emilio could hook you up...
CS

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
Last edited by: Flat frog: Sep 14, 10 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a body marking / concierge station?

At IMSG there was a group doing pro-style airbrush body marking (with neat stencil race numbers
instead of sharpie scrawls) . They were doing it for donations to some worthy cause... I wouldn't want
to get in the way of that, but I felt very slick with the nice tats. Maybe you could set that up in a parking lot

You could also look for a place to do any number of concierge style services
- Bike check
- restaurant reservations
- Spectator guides / support

Sponsor a meal somewhere - 'Infinit Pasta feed' has a nice ring

Go guerrilla and figure out a way to support the pre-rides & runs. Some people are in Hawaii for a week
prior to the race, or 3-4 days at other IM events. Set up drink stations for people checking out the course,
or near the bike start. That is several days with a chance to make an impression with folks who will have time
to talk. They could even try a couple different mixes over the course of a few days...

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Infinit for several races I had to travel to and I don't think anyone is driving to Kona so why not set up a booth at or outside the airport? Have an Infinit van that takes athletes to their hotels? Can you set up at the underwear run?
Quote Reply
Re: INFINIT is now banned from IM Expos...need your imput [seel98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
race tops and bottom's? Team Ininfinit?

I would pay for this if the kit was high quality stuff. This is a great idea.
Quote Reply

Prev Next