Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Do you have a location that you could point us to that shows the Series 7 bike in a size small?. I am mainly interested in seeing the head tube length of 76mm as stated in the Trek size charts. Any assistance would be appriciated. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, just a few posts back the picture of Heather Jackson's bike would at least give you a sense of proportion. It's a small, and the head tube lengths are the same across all the series for a given size.

Does that help?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Yes, that does help, thank you. Just one more question, the Trek size charts also show the Extra Small having a longer head tube (at 101mm) then the Small (at 76mm). Is the Extra Small length correct as shown?, this would indicate that the XSM would be a less aggressive position I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the longer headtube on the XS results from the use of 650c vs 700c wheels on that bike. Geometrically, the frame remains on (anchors, really) that constant slope of stack vs reach with the other 4 sizes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to @TrekSpeed on Twitter there is now a fix available for the draft box problem.

Carl, have you heard about that? Because my LBS called their Trek rep and he said he never heard anything about a fix as of now.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rlejeune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he mention what the "fix" was?

Making Triathlon Great Again
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TurboCurbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naw, he just said ...

Quote:
TrekSpeed
@rlejeune the fix is already done. Your shop should be able to help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm...i haven't heard anything. My buddy owns a shop but he isn't necessarily in the loop with all the new trek advancements, ecspecially that which is going on with the SC. I'll have to see what he can find out with some phone calls.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been reading these recent threads with GREAT interest. As one of the first here to own the SC (acquired early June) and perhaps one of those who have ridden it more than 1000 miles already (including IM LP) and have been daring enough to wrench it myself (changed the stem and the seatpost head and been fiddling around with everything else I can fiddle with), here are some comments:

- I do not have any of the dreaded fork paint cracks and I constantly check my fork for such. Am I lucky? I don't think so as the crack-fork-paint syndrome seems more a rarity than a commonality.
- My headset has never been loose even after changing the stem from a 60/45 to a 100/45. I torqued it down to spec and after some creaky sounds I torqued it down even more and no problems to date. Frankly I think my headset is too tight and I might just change the cables to Nokon to "loosen" the movement a little bit.
- Stem change is a fairly easy job and the sequence of tigthening the bolts is fairly obvious. One important thing to note is that a longer stem will need longer cables and if the original cables (as cut by the LBS mechanic that originally assembled the bike) is not long enough then you will have to get new cables and cable housings. Once again, fairly easy if you are comfortable wrenching your bikes.
- Brake strength. My brake pads are the original Bont corks (brown color that came with the bike) and I have no problems with braking strength. I have used various wheels already from Zipp disks to 808 to 404 and the original Bonts Aeolus. Brakes worked fine on all those, even in the rain going down Keene In Lake Placid.
- Brake width issues - the front brake widths can be adjusted with the built in side adjusters so no issues there. The rear brake widths can only be adjusted by loosening the brake cable. Since we don't really want to do that everytime we change to a wider rim rear wheel I have only been changing the brake shoes / pads assembly. Easy enough.
- Aero bar slippage - solved with Taxc paste. end of story.
- Uneven brake arms - solved with grease on brake arms. end of story.
- Aero box. My box was initially rubbing but only on the original Bont Aeolus wheels (came with the bike) that is higher profile than any of my Zipps. The rub was not constant and only occured on certain uneven portions of the tire and if the box "shifted down". As a solution, I cut some thick leftover handlebar black tape (the rubber type) and glued these tiny strips to the bottom of the main box where it meets the frame. Voila, higher box, problem solved. The rubber also saves my frame from stratches that could be caused by the plastic box.
- What can fit in the aero box? As I stated in previous threads, I was able to fit a spare tubular (Vittoria Triathlon) a cannister, Tufo tape and cannister head - all into the box. The secret is folding the tubular properly. The top lid can pop out (it popped twice only in the first few rides I did) but only if it is not closed properly. There is a way to do it right and after I figured that out, it never popped open again.

The SC is a complicated bike but in a good way and I guess that is why we bought it because it has features that no other bikes have. However, we have to understand that due to the technical aspects of these features some bikes that are not adjusted properly will have some issues. Based on what I have been reading here, these problems seem to plague only a few and they have been assisted by the LBS and by Trek. My issues have been minor and there has always been a solution.

I will be racing Toughman this weekend on Zipp 808s in the rain. Will give some feedback after the race.

P:)

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Sep 10, 10 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knew it was coming...was waiting for confirmation that they were actually in stock before I broadcast it.

Tech services knows about them as of yesterday afternoon, and I imagine the sales reps will be aware not long thereafter (if not already).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, thanks for your reply :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked to my LBS this morning. The Draft Box 'fix' is to swap out the box for a different one. ETA is the end of September.

My experience was that the original box had an OK shape and there was enough clearance when initially attached. The problem arose when the clamp was tightened which 'pulled' the box down the seat stays towards the wheel until it rubbed. After it happened on a few training rides, I didn't mess with it much and ended up using a saddle bag at IMCA like cyclo-tourist ;)

FWIW, I have almost 1000 miles on an XL Speed Concept with 100/10 stem. The only issue I've had other than the Draft Box rub is the front brake return is weak and the calipers don't fully return to flush with the fork. The Draft Box issue should be remedied by the end of the month and so far the brake issue is just annoying, but I plan to get it fixed properly after Kona. I really like having two sets of cage bosses on the frame for long training rides - and for IM races, I can get all my nutrition in two aero bottles on the frame with a bottle cage between the bars for water.

Craig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any further news on the UCI legal bars and seatpost?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [CSpread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your not alone on the front brakes issue. I have run into the same issue where they won't return to their initial position, thus causing wheel rub.

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to get the front brakes working smoother?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Your not alone on the front brakes issue. I have run into the same issue where they won't return to their initial position, thus causing wheel rub.

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to get the front brakes working smoother?

Matt,

Have you pulled them apart and lubed them? They are extremely easy to take apart unlike
side pull brakes. Clean things up and put a bit of good quality grease on each pivot shaft.
I've done this a couple of times on Denise's bike over the course of 2500+ miles.

YMMV

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Sep 10, 10 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prepped for battle, errr IMWI.

Tubular spare + co2 + inflator+ razor + lever in the draft box.

Debating on if I want to carry a can of pitstop - if I do I'll probably tape it to the top tube right infront of the seat post; or perhaps on the seatpost/under seat etc.

Edit: All I need to make it look super bad ass is one of the Adamo demo seats: Black + green 4tw
Last edited by: sentania: Sep 11, 10 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PowerWatts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spring 2011 is all I have on that right now.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to get the ski bend aero extensions from the SSC9 for the seven?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is there a way to get the ski bend aero extensions from the SSC9 for the seven?

Mechanic from a Trek shop here. As of right now, the Speed Concept extensions are not available through Trek. That is, they are only coming on the bikes themselves. No word as of yet whether they will be offered separately.

On a side note, how big of a rush are you in to get a set of them? I have a Speed Concept on order for myself, and I will be taking the extensions off as I prefer to ride S-Bends. Would be happy to hook you up with those. Should have the bike in about a month tops. Let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team green SC's love it dude! Turtle power :) lemme know if you make any headway with the green seat...that'd be a nice touch.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Hugh,

I was at Geneva bike yesterday and we got inside the brakes front and rear and got them in good order. A bit of time to get them throwing properly but they are now set up for my trainer wheels now seeing as how my aeolus's decided to crap out on me. So they are currently with trek...figuring out why the nipples and whatever else holds the wheel together with the spokes are all corroded...just in time to not have them for cusetri 70.3 this weekend. But oh well..just won't look as cool haha :)

Is Denise racing Kona?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks Hugh,

Is Denise racing Kona?

Yes Matt,

We're headed over the Tuesday after Syracuse for some quality time in the heat. Think of the 13 hour flight as a rest day after a quality
workout at Syracuse leading towards a long taper;) It's just too cold and gray here this time of year to really get acclimatized in
the northeast.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous beyond imagination! You guys will have a blast. See you in Syracuse most likely.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a SC 9 on it's way I'm tossing back and forth trying to make the 65/45 stem work, or just getting a 100/10 right off the bat. I'm on the edge for pad height if I setup the 65/45 in its lowest setting(~13cm drop) but the basebar would be pretty good in reach and height.

Anyone know if the 100/10s are available? Cost?

Carl, any chance we'd see tweener stems(80/25) in the next year? I know it's a stretch but a man can hope.

If I set up the bike with a 65/45 stem would I be able to switch to the 100/10 stem without completely cutting and installing new housing and having to get new cables?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tweeners...interesting idea. I guess a lot depends on the basebar hand placement feedback like yours.

As for the stem swap and housing considerations, assuming a reasonable amount of "overage" was left in the downtube for the rear brake & shifters, the big challenge is the front brake. There's very little in the way of "free" housing between the bar exit and the stop in the top of the fork when using the 100x10, so there's almost no margin for error if you try to simply cut off the excess from your 60x45 installation. Tried this myself when I made a 100x45 to 100x10 swap last week and ended up going just a tad too short...so I re-plumbed the bar for that housing....which probably would have been faster from the start, even if I'd instead left it long and nibbled back to the right length.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next