Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flying [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anybody flown with their speed concept yet?

If so what box did you use? Any hiccups?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl. Two quick questions if you don't mind.

1. I just picked up my SC 9.9 earlier this week (large with 100/10 stem) and am in the process of dialing in my fit. I want to drop the bar pads around 10-15mm but, when I take out the spacer I want to remove, the bolt clamping down the remaining spacers is then too long and won't secure those spacers. Do I need to buy a shorter bolt? Or is there another adjustment mechanism that is just way too obvious that I'm missing?

2. Is there an easy way to open to the brake calipers so the wheel can be removed with a fully-inflated tire?

Cheers
David
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dave C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a bag of "stuff" with my SC - one of the things included was a variety of bolt lengths for the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, thanks, I didn't seem to get those. Will have to follow up with SBR.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dconrad1987] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean this color?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those bolts and spacers should be inside your speed box.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one place I didn't look. Thanks, I'll check that out when I get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi David-

re: #2...there is no brake QR as you're used to on road bikes. Instead, we designed the brakes to run "wide open" with enough clearance for up to a 25c tire (if memory serves) to go in and out without undue interference (tolerances & profiles on tires being what they are), while still having adequate clamp-up during braking.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else got any problem with the draft box?

Sometimes when I ride/race on a rough road it seems to move just a tinny little bit and then the back wheel starts to rub against it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rlejeune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep reading about all these issues with the draft box rubbing, meanwhile I wasnt experiencing any problems. Until a few weeks ago.

It appeared that the box had started to fall towards the wheel causing the box and wheel to rub (creating space between the draft box and the seat tube). A super simple solution for this was to stick a piece of rubber (a cut up tube in my case) under the seat stay section of the draft box between where the box itself touches the seat tube. This acts as sort of a lever by creating more space at the bottom section of the box meanwhile causing the top of the box to hug the seat tube. Does that make sense? I didnt even have to take the wheel off. I just loosened up the box and slipped some rubber between the box and seat tube and then tightened everything back up. Simple!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi David-

re: #2...there is no brake QR as you're used to on road bikes. Instead, we designed the brakes to run "wide open" with enough clearance for up to a 25c tire (if memory serves) to go in and out without undue interference (tolerances & profiles on tires being what they are), while still having adequate clamp-up during braking.

Thanks again for your ongoing support for me and other SC owners Carl.

Had my first ride today. Loved the bike, but just one gripe. Like one or two others, I had problems with the seat post slipping. The post had carbon paste applied and I used a torque wrench to tighten the bolt to just under the 11nm max torque. Any other suggestions? Feel free to PM me.

Cheers
David
Quote Reply
Re: Flying [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Scicon case and plan to let the LBS figure out how to pack it.... My next race which requires air travel is Austin in October, so I've got a little time.

Here's my latest setup....after a more thorough fit, flipped the seat post cap, new Zipp extensions were trimmed down 2cm to bring the shifters closer to the bend (I'm taking another 1cm off next week), new 100/45 stem which did require new cables and rerouting, new Fizik bar tape. The cockpit is now more comfortably forward and a tad lower. Ready to race a quick Oly tune up before my next 70.3.

Quote Reply
Re: Flying [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now THAT is one good-looking machine. Well-done, Weaver.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all I can say is... DAMN! that is one hot ride. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It's been a great bike so far. All it needs is a Quark or SRM and I think it will be perfect for me. My last race, I averaged just under 25mph and had my best run so far this season.....likely fitness gains, but I also don't want to be the guy that rolls up on a rig like this and "rides" it......this thing likes to race.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We flew my wife's SC from San Francisco to Austria for UCI Master's Worlds in a Trico Sports Ironcase. Everything worked just fine, although it might have been a little easier to put her bike in the case because, to satisfy the UCI, it did not have the SC bar and stem. As it was, I simply removed the bars from the stem, wrapped them in bubble wrap, and laid them underneath the bike, with the extensions parallel to the fork blades and the arm pads facing away from the bike frame. The fork laid nicely over the bars and they kept it from hitting the frame.

By the way, at least two Speed Concepts (and probably more I am unaware of) were ridden to the podium. My wife, Molly Van Houweling, won a bronze medal in the W30-39 category with a 27:14 20k. Leigh Thompson won a gold medal/world championship in the W50-54 category with a 28:46.

Here is a link to a picture taken of Molly on her Speed Concept on the home stretch:

http://www.flickr.com/...t-72157624772509896/

Various tips gathered from this thread and repeated help from Carl via PM were key in getting the bike ready to race. This is really a great resource. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weaver, 2 questions:

1. How did you get your brakes to be so flush? I assume they are working great so I am curious as I have been struggling to get my front brakes to align flush with the frame and still work properly. My LBS is great but they lack the expertise with Tri Bikes, so I investigate into these things on my own and with another shop that has more of a specialty with tri bikes.

2. Did you have the longer 100 stem ordered in? I would like to get this stem as well and was wondering if you went through trek or if your LBS was able to order it in with ease.

Thanks man,

-Matt

ps I am getting a quarq for my SC in the next couple of weeks so If I get one before you order it in maybe I can help with any questions you might have.

Making Triathlon Great Again
Quote Reply
Re: Flying [TurboCurbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local bike store (Trek of Kansas City) is awesome. The brakes work great...no issues. They work better in fact than the ones on my road bike! No issues with getting the front brake to be flush...there is a set screw on either side of the forks. I had the LBS order the 100MM stem. It only took two weeks to get in, pretty cheap too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, I got my 9.9 frame in today at my LBS and they are saying I can only run Di2 externally because the internal kits are not available form Trek . That cant be can it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to be an issue of demand outpacing supply, as all the part#s exist but a few appear to be out of stock at the moment.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, Aren't there just two parts needed the battery mount hardware and the rear brake cover?
Last edited by: iurnman: Aug 31, 10 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are the SC-specific parts (along with some associated bolts & washers, a grommet), but the internal wiring kit from Shimano itself also seems to be in short supply at the moment, and this could also result in your LBS saying the internal setup is not available.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
......WOW..... That is nice!

Quote | Reply
Hey Carl-

Does the XS version of this bike actually exist? I noticed that quite recently the geometry of the XS was removed from the table on the Trek website.

Thanks,

Eric

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next