Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [studodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.... For the price point I would have liked to see a little more attention from the bike shop and Trek. As I think I have posted before, the small issues are manageable for a good wrench, but for a person that doesn't wrench their own bike then this could be a nightmare depending on how good and responsive the LBS is. This has been the quintessential example of over-promise and under-deliver IMO. As for the draft box - I discarded the bolt, the secure attachment piece, and top, and now just have the draft box 3m double-sided taped to the bike, with some electrical tape wrapped around it for good measure.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As for the draft box - I discarded the bolt, the secure attachment piece, and top, and now just have the draft box 3m double-sided taped to the bike, with some electrical tape wrapped around it for good measure.

Why? I don't normally use my draft box, except for really long rides, but when I do it functions very well. During IMLP I had a full tubular tire in it, an air cannister, the cannister head, the extended valve and a gel.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ONLY discarded parts of the draft box. It didn't function correctly, mainly the secure attachment to the frame ended up not being that secure and would lead to wheel rub. I burned thru a new tubular pretty quick because of the rub. Maybe it was just the tolerances of my frame but it would not stay put and believe me, I spent considerable amounts of time trying to make it work. The only way it worked is if I use electrical tape to add an additional securing method. I got rid of the bolt, attachment piece, and top and that saves about 130 grams and my current setup works great. For the record I have: 1 full tubular tire, 1 can of pit stop, 1 air canister, 1 air chuck cannister head, 1 razor blade, 1 multipurpose tool, 1 extender valve, 1 roll of tufo tape, 1 disc wheel pipe, and 1 multi-tool all in my draft box. No additional size, 130 grams less, and no worries of the box coming undone during a race and causing wheel drag.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh alright. Come to think of it, my draft box was rubbing too and I didn't remember that since I removed it. The rub was annoying but it happened only no my Bontrager clincher Aeolus tire resulting in bad rub marks on the box. Took me a while to figure out where the sound was coming from. My tubulars (Vitoria Triathlons on Zipp 808s) didn't rub. Maybe because they were low profile.

What's the latest on your fork problems? I am hoping to get a replacement fork from Trek.

P.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth my draft box has rubbed on my Aeolus 6.5's. When it is screwed on really tight it doesn't seem to come into contact. However, the draft box has seemed to become mishaped and the top of the box no longer "clicks" in. While riding it constantly pops out. I talked to my LBS and he's going to talk to trek about it. I hope trek will take it back and get me another one..otherwise I know my buddy at the shop will sort it out one way or another. This stuff doesn't really bug me a ton because its just an accessory but its something I figured I would see if Trek would take care of.

Making Triathlon Great Again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my fork. Turnaround time in today was 28 days. They shipped it to my local trek store, it took them 6 days to get started on it, then when they finally did they realized that Trek never shipped the brake bosses with the fork. Trek next-dayed them and my bike was ready the next day. I'm sure you experience with a new fork won't be as bad as mine was.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wanting one of these bikes but it sounds like they are more of pain in the ass than they are worth. I love the way they look how is the comfort level on these bikes as far as doing ironman. I know have it fitted, I want answers from people who have this bike is it really worth it or should I look at buying another bike. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [trainhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No you shouldn't. Trek has white paper. White paper is super important. With white paper you don't have gray paper which sucks. All other manufacture's papers are pastel or dark primary. So the use of white paper makes all other bikes pieces of shit.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [trainhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was wanting one of these bikes but it sounds like they are more of pain in the ass than they are worth. I love the way they look how is the comfort level on these bikes as far as doing ironman. I know have it fitted, I want answers from people who have this bike is it really worth it or should I look at buying another bike. Thanks

If I could trade my Speed Concept right now, I would trade it in for two Speed Concepts! I have owned over a dozen bikes and have raced them for 35 years or so. This bike is up there even with all its warts, moles and zits.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've struggled to find a way of even getting close to getting a tubular into my draft box. Ive tried a few different brands of tyre and folded and twisted each in different ways and each time failed.

I'm amazed that you have been able to fit so much into your box. Can you, or anyone else, provide instructions on how?

thanks for your help
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [potos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that both a Tufo S3 Lite and a Vittoria Corsa Crono will fit with plenty of room to spare.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [potos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've struggled to find a way of even getting close to getting a tubular into my draft box. Ive tried a few different brands of tyre and folded and twisted each in different ways and each time failed.

I'm amazed that you have been able to fit so much into your box. Can you, or anyone else, provide instructions on how?

thanks for your help

A couple of weeks ago I promised to post a picture of the box with tubs and all stuff inside.
I will do it tonight to show everyone.
It can be done and it is surprisingly quite easy.

P.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [T3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there T3, any chance you can post the apparatus used to attach the garmin 705 to the aerobar? I have been looking for something like that all summer. Thanks!
Dan
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dconrad1987] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not T-3 here but my wife is using the Profile Design Universal mount.

http://www.trisports.com/computermount.html

Buy the longer one and cut it to length.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Hugh - just placed an order for one online!
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to help. Just decide on the length, pop off the trim cap and cut to length if needed.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there was a thread started about the compatability of SRM and Quark with the Speed concept but no definitve answers seemed to be given.

I am looking at getting a quark system that would be predominately for my speed concept which is all SRAM Red. Has anyone put one of these on their bikes? If so which model would I need, and would there be any additional pieces that I would need to make it fit.

Thanks guys!

Making Triathlon Great Again
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TurboCurbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know there was a thread started about the compatability of SRM and Quark with the Speed concept but no definitve answers seemed to be given.

I am looking at getting a quark system that would be predominately for my speed concept which is all SRAM Red. Has anyone put one of these on their bikes? If so which model would I need, and would there be any additional pieces that I would need to make it fit.

Thanks guys!

Matt,

Denise is running a Sram S975 Quarq on her Speed Concept with great success. The frame was bottom bracketed for a Rival crank to begin with
and the S975 was a "drop in" replacement. Unscrew the 8mm bolt, pull the old crank and insert the new one. Not certain that this is the same for
your Red Crank but it may be.

YMMV

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for being late here. I need an entire morning to enter Tinypic upload codes for two pics correctly anymore :)

Hugh has it right. Just a stock Profile computer mount zipped to an arrow bar. You can cut it to make it super snug. Garmin supplies the mount.

I ordered a Bonty speed bottle and had planned to reinstall the Garmin on the integrated computer mount. I think the 705 unit is going to look top heavy though. I should have gone with the smaller Garmin for that app. I like the 705 screen though. So I may leave it as is and getting a SpeedFill. Still researching.

I raced recently and strapped my fuel belt bento to the seat post. Worked well while I still wait for back ordered Trek bento. Love the bike. Everything is working great.

Quote | Reply
Awesome Bike! Just noticed you don't have the rubber cable cover on the top tube. Did you remove that on purpose, or did it fall off?

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Trek cable condom would be my only gripe. I took it off because I was messing with the Di2 synchronizer that is housed in there. Just doesn't sit right for some reason, but I have not really gotten into it. Guess that is my weekend project! Keep you posted!

Quote | Reply
Your bike is beautiful. I opted for the standard 9.9 finish and am slowly regretting not going all-black (alot of people seem to be going with the white/grey/red!!). As for the bento, I've heard only great things. Apparently it'll have up to 3 compartments (not sure if their sizes are adjustable) with the easy-lift mesh top.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [T3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a Beauty SC! Loving the setup for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

thanks for your help

A couple of weeks ago I promised to post a picture of the box with tubs and all stuff inside.
I will do it tonight to show everyone.
It can be done and it is surprisingly quite easy.

P.

Realized last night that my last spare Vittoria Triathlon tubular tire is already installed in the wheel. I have a flat in IMLP and I used that up. Therefore I don't have a spare to put into the aero box until I buy one. Should have taken the picture first before IMLP. But trust me, it works.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try and remember to take a picture tonight of my race spare kit.

Basically you need a super small, flexy spare. I have found that both a Vittoria Corsa Crono, and Tufo S3 Lite work. I'm sure that most narrow tires will work. (19 to 20 mm) I ditched the vittoria because it has latex tubes.

If you just roll it - I found it gets too big; however if you fold it up like a spare clincher tube is folded you can keep it tight enough.

I found the trick to be is that while folding it, you need to keep the pressure tight to keep it small and keep air out of the tube and casing.

Once you have it folded - put a couple wraps of tape around it to keep it that way. Than you can slip it into the draft box. I was also able to "package" a tire lever, CO2, inflator, razor and the folded spare all together into the draft box. My next challendge is to find a way to get my mini tool jammed in there - or find a mini tool small enough to fit.

The only snag I have with the whole setup is that if you don't orientate the valve stem just so - if can wedge and cause the tire to wedge funny - which makes the box a bit tough to open.

Than again this has the added benefit of ensuring the box doesn't open while you are riding :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next