Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Powertap elasped time on download different than display
Quote | Reply
Sent an email to customer support, but I figured I'd toss this out here.

Have a PT LYC (CPU+) - 7.60.

Did pigman today - displayed time was 2:25. When I downloaded the ride (via both PA and WKO+) time is 2:29.

A week or so ago I did a ride and it added 8 minutes

I'm assuming it has something to do with the computers sleep timeout, but I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that mine does the same thing. The time difference appears to be close to the amount of time I was stopped at traffic lights.

The timer on my LYC continues for about 30 seconds after I stop which happens to be about the same length of time the traffic light intervals are around here.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but that would affect the displayed time and the downloaded time.

The display time is right - the downloaded isn't.

Plus one of these was a race - so no stopping.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I called Saris about this same issue. They did not really have an answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like the PT CPU keeps the timer going when you rack your bike. I think the default timeout for the CPU turning off is 4 minutes. Do a trial run of 5 minutes, and see if it reports 9 minutes in PA/WKO+. Then, maybe try changing the sleep time to 2 minutes, and see if that effects it.

A way to prevent the timer from keeping going is to put it in interval mode (hold both buttons for a second), and then at the end of your race, tap both buttons to get all the good race data in a single interval.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool - any way to fix a file post download.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem w/ my LYC. DD coaches a bunch o' folks who also have the same issue. It is not unique.

Even when I do an interval, the time for that interval before and after download differs. VERY annoying.
Mine isn't quite as dramatic as yours, more like :20-:30 seconds / hour difference.

Saris said to try downloading to PA instead of WKO+, to see if there is a difference between the 2.

(But in the meantime, I got a Joule, so I don't even know if it's an issue anymore, since I've been downloading to PA, since it wont go to WKO+ v2)

You can edit out the end of the ride where the PT kept recording time (running thru TA, sitting on the rack) and that will get it a bit closer.
But unless you can find a fix, you'll likely still have the issue.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emailed a pal @ saris today:

Thought about calling in and seeing what CS would say, but then I figured I’d cut it all out and go straight to the best contact I have for PT questions.

Have had an odd situation with my CPU+ LYC over the last couple weeks when I download certain workouts. I’ve had it occur 3 to 4 times, but know the specific details for only two of them.

What is basically happening is that when I download the ride – WKO+ and/or poweragent show the elapsed time as being longer than the displayed time (which matches the actual time for a ride).

For example – yesterday I did pigman. Rode 2:25 and change. Race split says 2:25, Display says 2:25. When I download, I get 2:29 – just slightly over 4 minutes longer. When I examine the downloaded file in a chart – it’s not 2:25 + empty data – it’s as if time is compressed and there are no gaps in the data. I suspect that it has to do with the CPU going to sleep – as I did a long ride recently that was 5:59 in reality, and the download was 6:07 – with two stops long enough to let the CPU sleep.

Here’s the use case for Pigman yesterday.

1> Rack bike in transition.
2> Wake hub/CPU up make sure they are talking.
3> Clear Computer by pressing Mode/Select together.
4> Manual Zero
5> Do other stuff/head to swim start – CPU goes to sleep.
6> Swim
7> Grab bike from rack – run to T1 exit
8> Mount, wake CPU up and ride.
9> Download and notice that downloaded elapsed time is 4 minutes longer than displayed time.

I’ve attached the PA export and the WKO+ file for reference.

The use case for the 6 hour ride is similar. Ride – stop and refill bottles. Ride more; refill bottles. Finish – display 5:59 – download 6:08.

Also – I just looked; I have a longer ride recently that had the CPU go to sleep because of stopping to meet folks and refuel, and the issue does not appear there – however that was using a 2.4 LYC that I was borrowing.
Last edited by: sentania: Aug 23, 10 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is how I've fixed that problem on 3 different PT's...so far.

Download/install latest version of Poweragent
open poweragent
put head unit on cradle & turn on
IN power agent go to Tools ->Firmware ->Check for Firmware updates.

It'll pull down the latest and greatest.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
already at the latest and greatest :(
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here is how I've fixed that problem on 3 different PT's...so far.

Download/install latest version of Poweragent
open poweragent
put head unit on cradle & turn on
IN power agent go to Tools ->Firmware ->Check for Firmware updates.

It'll pull down the latest and greatest.

After numerous attempts to update the firmware on my Joule, I read here that I must update PA first, then update the Joule firmware. I downloaded PA, but during installation, it opened a window telling me about possibly overwriting data or data may be lost or some such crap, so I aborted the installation. Been meaning to drop a note to Saris to ask about it, but haven't yet. Have you run into that problem?

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I back up all my data files on an external HD every week. So in that case, once backed up, I'd let it ride.

I only have poweragent b/c it seemed my PT wouldn't download into wko without it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, do you have the power agent that lists pedaling time, overall time and one other time (not in front of my home pc, can't remember what it was)

If so do any of those match up?

If you export to a CSV file what is listed there? The first column is time, that 8 minutes has to come from somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [dalessit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got PA 7.5.1.19. Just checked for updates and it says up-to-date.

I don't use it for myself or my athletes. I think it's a POS. Everything gets put into wko

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious...what does the avg mph say for your race? Was it correct compared to time/distance recorded on the head unit?

I did a race rehearsal this past wknd...56mi, 2:40:26...the avg should be 2.94mph, but the head unit was displaying 20.6 IIRC. I think the speed was calculating elapse time whereas time was moving time.

I guess I should check for firmware update...
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The average speed when downloading is off - due to the extra time.

The displayed average on the CPU right now - shows the average that the downloaded time does.

I.e. THe head unit displays 2:25:12, and shows 57.23 miles - but displays an average of 22.9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for checking. That's the same issue I have. It's crazy that the dist/displayed time <> avg mph.

-Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those that care - I'm currently exchanging mails with a saris CS rep + dev regarding this issue.

Don't know if anything will be discovered - but I'm OCD so I won't give up until they fix it or they send me something really nice new toy and tell me to go away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another follow-up:

Did an easy ride on the trainer on saturday. Started a timing when I started pedaling after clearing/zeroing the computer.

Finishing my ride and let the wheel spin down. PT computer stopped ticking @ 1:00:18 - stopped wristwatch at the same.

Downloaded as 1:01:11.

*The 18 and the 11 could have been swapped.

Also rode 3:54 yesterday - downloaded as 4:00.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... this is interesting. The problem I've been noticing is that the *distance* is too long. I've done a bunch of TTs on a course that is ~10.15 miles, but the Powertap shows 10.32 miles. And yes the wheel size is correct and exactly the same value for both measurements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this same issue. Keep us posted as to what you find out from Saris.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious....is the downloaded time the same in PA and WKO+?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The PA download time and WKO+ download time are close enough that they are the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap elasped time on download different than display [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed the same thing. Riding a 700x23 tire with the CPU set to 2096. I rode a course on friday that my SRM and prior to that my Cateye Astrale 8 measured as 48.3 miles - came up as 49.8 on the LYC.

I adjusted the tire calibration number for my ride yesterday as described here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/...on.html#measuredmile

Have to check the distance of the course to see if it worked, but based on landmarks I know - it seemed "better"

I do know I was following one of the Joule threads - I think they were talkign that it appeared to be off about 2-3% - which is what I saw with my LYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very weird... there are $5 computers that get speed, time, and distance correct.

Just checked one of the files (10.15 mi TT) where I had an iBike and the PT running together. The PT shows ~1.4% longer time, and ~1.9% greater distance. I'm using the power and speed numbers to determine the starting and stopping points, so there could be a couple of seconds variation between them... but not 20 seconds. Wheel diameter (Conti SS 20mm) is set to 2060mm for both and the rollout confirms that this is correct.
Quote Reply

Prev Next