Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to fill your tires with an air compressor
Quote | Reply
I am sure someone else has run into this before. Is there an adapter that will allow me to fill my bike tires with my air compressor? I have the car tire attachment that has the built in gauge, etc.

And for you wise asses, I know I can get a workout just from the floor pump, so I should just quit being a lazy ass.

BUT with all the kiddos' bikes, my wife's bike, my 4 bikes,... It sure would be nice to get them all in about 5 minutes.

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: How to fill your tires with an air compressor [KatyTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are adapters. You should be able to get them at your LBS for a couple of bucks. Sure makes life easier!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of air compressors only go up to 90psig. Make sure that yours goes high enough, I run 110psig in my tires
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wouldn't fill them with an air compressor, you wouldn't use a snowplow to clear your sidewalk, would you?? No, you can just pick up a presta adapter at the bike store. They are about a buck.
Quote Reply
Re: How to fill your tires with an air compressor [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll check w/ the LBS. My compressor goes up to 110 psi. Most of my tires go up to 220, but I have found about 170 works pretty well. It's really my training wheels, wifes bike and 2 of kids' bikes that I want the adapter for.

That compressor has been invaluable for the dozens of pool toys we have.
Quote Reply
Re: How to fill your tires with an air compressor [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the compressors in many gas stations are set even lower - to 30 or 40 psi so can't fill a bike tire.

If you have low pressure tires (i.e., a montain bike) you can switch the tubes from Presta valves to Schraeder valves (the kind used on cars) so you can fill them at a gas station.

For tires on a tri bike, it's probably best to stick Presta valves and fill them with the floor pump.
Quote Reply
Re: How to fill your tires with an air compressor [Hook'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You buy adapters, such as http://www.supergo.com/...dapter&referpage=

I use these adapters on my touring bike because the trailer on my touring bike is schrader valve only, and I didn't want to have to convert my pump all the time.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How to fill your tires with an air compressor [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful at the gas station, even though the pressure is fairly low the volume will blow a tire clean off a clincher and can burst a sewup, I have seen and done both. Most household garage compressors will work just fine. That is what most shops use. G
Quote Reply
Re: How to fill your tires with an air compressor [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mark.

Just ordered one. And w/ $7.50 shipping I just had to buy something else to justify the purchase (one of those bright yellpw pearl izumi vests)!

Tim
Quote Reply