Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon.
Quote | Reply
You know who you are.

I was the dude on the P3C riding North on PCH just a mile or so past the Seabee shooting range at about 1400. As I crossed the Revolon Channel, you blew by me like I was going backwards. You were wearing a blue jersey, riding a white Cervelo, but you went by so fast I could not tell if it was a P2C or P3C.

And you didn’t even pause for a moment to say “Hi” before blowing my doors off and riding into the distance. That was rude. I’m glad my friends were not around to see that because it was totally humiliating.

I’ll see you again Bro, on PCH or through the Strawberry Fields in Camarillo and when I do, after pausing to exchange pleasantries, I’m gonna drop you like Home Economics.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Last edited by: Mojozenmaster: Jul 7, 10 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really a guy rode past you while he was out training and he didn't apologize or any thing. Crap dude it sounds like its time for you to have a nice cup of herbal tea and good cry while watching Steel Magnolias.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Dude. I saw you with your full Radio Shack Kit and thought it was my one chance put a pro team dude in my rear view mirror.
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well played. That's Post of the month material!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Home EC....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are you sure it wasn't one of Siri's girls, I know they use that road alot for efforts....
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crap dude it sounds like its time for you to have a nice cup of herbal tea and good cry while watching Steel Magnolias.

Dude, your knowledge of chick flicks sucks!!. It was a "Beaches" moment for this guy as he was the wind beneath his own wings, and as he rode away, he was not my hero. I made that hard right on Hueneme Road and felt like a Fried Green Tomato.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was not me. I saw that dude riding a 2006 P3C (same machine as mine) outbound on Pleasant Valley Road and inbound near Neptunes Net. Both times (within 3 hours) he looked exhausted, like he just finished some hard intervals.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My little sister came home talking about "some schmuck out on the PCH pedaling squares in his 34x25 like he was going up the Alpe d'Huez." Couldn't have been you, could it? She does ride a white P2C...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is already a thread for to post this to.......

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iatch_here._P1566945
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [xcsnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Call!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Mojozenmaster and All,

Don't feel bad.

On last Sat morning my neighbor and I (me on my P3C and he on his round tube bike) got passed traveling North on Pendleton Marine Base by a group of 5 gals and one guy.

I said lets follow them.

They dropped us.

They had their various IM jerseys on ..... and we were drafting them ...... must have been pros ....... :)

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad.

(Cervelo P2C)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This past weekend's experience didn't do much for my confidence....

Myself and two buddies are out doing two loops of the IMLP course in prep for the race. We do loop one at a comfortable 3:15 pace. Not great, but okay for us on a training day.

Loop 2 the heat starts to get to us. We slow down a bit, but not too much.... or so I think until......

A guy blows past us on the climb out of LP near the ski jump while sitting up, hands off the bars and eating. I was so discouraged I almost threw my bike into the river.

Humbling to say the least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not serious, are you?

You got passed on a training ride, and you got your panties all up in a bunch? I don't talk to anyone I pass on my training rides, maybe a slight head nod, but I'm sure as hell not slowing down to talk....

You go have fun finding Mr. White Cervelo and "dropping" him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to be from the Conejo Valley area. If so, I'm sure you have noticed that a simple waive is a thing of the past for many riders. Sad but thats the way it is. I continue to waive but no longer expect one in return.

That being said, do you really think someone is going to stop their interval to have a chat. The area you refer to is a very common spot for TT intervals. Pt Magu to Neptunes.

There are a few guys in the area that fit your description and if the ego is going to rule you better be on a very good day if you want to drop them. They are very strong.

Recommendation: Go for your ride. When they come by waive and if they don't return the favor waive again then continue with your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand something: do some people think you're being serious with this post like you're actually upset that someone didn't say hi to you on their way by?

Am I totally insane here: are you being serious and I just assumed this was just a big joke making fun of yourself for getting blown away? (If you are being serious, I take back my little sister joke from earlier; I don't even have a little sister. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.)
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [reconstyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blows my mind that people think its social hr during training time. How are you going to get faster if your not training faster than the other guy or girls.
And the fact that people are getting dropped by 5 girls and a guy. WHAT???
Why are they riding a P3c if you are still getting dropped in a draft.
The only thing I do is the head nod or a hand flick as I fly by someone. I understand 375 watts is hard work for 10 minutes up a % grade, but suck it up, it will pay off.
Ride your road bike and blow by the triathletes on their Time Machines, then the next day ride your Time machine and blow by the roadies and triathletes. really confuse them as to who everyone thinks is better.
If you want to win, you have to train for it.
If you want to improve you have to improve your training and work hard.
Quit Dreamin and just go out and kill it. Work so hard that the next race you do, makes you appreciate your not out training.
Racing hurts, No matter how fast you are, IT ALWAYS HURTS. So just go out and hurt MORE so you can say you got a PR, or Beat so and so, or improved your age group placing or stand on that podium because you worked your tail off. And no one who showed up could beat you on that day.
If your training doesnt hurt than dont complain about getting passed by those who punish themselves to be the best they can be and are standing on the podium.
Each part of a triathlon is its own part, unless its an Ironman there is not much sense in holding back its a race remember.
Its not JUST genetics people. Its work ethic. Its the willingness to go WAY beyond comfort zone for a smidge of glory.
Its consistancy, its time, its a Ton of bind numbing EFFORt, who cares how many miles you road or ran, or swam, its what you did in those miles. Kill it. If you were a wild animal would you have a survivals chance? Train like its your life. Train like you trying to find a NEW level of Pain. Dont expect better results with the same intervals as last week last month or even last year. otherwise you'll just be the same athlete every year. take the time to be a better swimmer, a good bike fit, and mechanically sound runner. BE A MACHINE that knows no bounds.
Next time you get passed in training, Spill your guts to stick with them as long as possible. Who knows, it might be Taylor phinney out for a motor pacing ride. and know deep down Taylor cant run.

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
http://www.d3multisport.com
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [jtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assume OP is joking and Paragraphs FTW!
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [dalessit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe some jokes, but I can see some people relating in a serious fashion

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [jtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the original post was funny enough, but the serious responses are what's making this thread totally worth the read.
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [rufio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never say hi to people I *pass* because I am not sure if they'll interpret it as me going "Hi, look I am awesome and you're slow, you suck". However, I always do the hand wave to people going the other way.

Man, last night I hit a monster hill at the same time as some kid on my commute back from work. I bet he thought he'd smoke that old man (to him) with the belly and an eating problem but I ruined him half way up, he probably couldn't believe it.
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [rufio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:)
serious responses.
Sure maybe a did a little rant.
This thread the whole damn thing is very funny.
Ill go back to getting ready for my ride.

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread sorta highlights the people who don't have a sense of humor.
Quote Reply
Re: To the Dude Who Blew By Me on PCH on Monday Afternoon. [Skoorb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never say hi to people I *pass* because I am not sure if they'll interpret it as me going "Hi, look I am awesome and you're slow, you suck". However, I always do the hand wave to people going the other way.

Those are complex emotions we have to deal with out on the road and are worthy of discussion like we are having in this thread.

I am cool with being passed by some hardcore triathlete dude(ette) riding the newest, sweetest, most bad-ass machine available. However, while passing me, it takes all of 3 seconds to say "what's up bro?" or a similar greeting that takes the 'sting' out of being passed.

On the other hand, I would not be cool with being passed by an old lady on a hybrid/mountain bike and nothing she could say would make things better.

Perhaps it's just me and I am over thinking the whole thing.

Quote Reply

Prev Next