Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hear you...

i tried sanding the bottom of the draft box, but i didnt get the result i wanted. your rubber band idea sounds like it could work. apparently the stickers that protect the seat stay are supposed to help raise the draft box and increase clearance. however, i didnt find them to do much of anything.

in the end, its probably easier to run a 22 on rear wheel.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, Twitchers,

Took your advice and got complete BG fit done to check my current postion and to try to see what would best translate to the SC. I don't have the final report from the fitter yet but the rough numbers are as follows:

Base bar stack: 66
Base Bar reach: 64
Pad Stack 69
Pad reach:49.5
current Stack P2C:55
Current reach P2C: 44
Saddle height 82
Saddle for aft angle -.5
Reach (pad/shifter) 52/82
Drop to pad center 9

Based on this data and the discussions earlier the fitter and I both think that the best fit solution would be the large with the 110/75 stem. I figured that I would rather have an extra 2cm of base bar drop rather than another 5cm of reach. Unless I am missing something this set up should allow me to hit all of my numbers, but I would have another 2cm of base bar drop. Honestly we set my current P2 up to simulate this 2cm of drop and I't feels alot closer to my road postion which is good! I feel confident in this postion and on Monday my dealer will be putting in my order for through project one with a Di2 build. My only question is will having a stem at 110 make the bike more twichy than say my current 58cm P2 set up, or am I overthinking this? Is there anything else that I am missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope your meeting with the dealer went well. Did you get your questions answered there?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jimmyhat1978] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm deciphering your coordinates correctly, your steering effects should be similar. I believe trail is nearly the same, and our BB is lower by 2cm, so you're lower into the bike which ought to help with stability a little.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Draft Box Wheel Rub Update

On my Friday ride, I decided to take the SC. Pumped the rear up to 110 and started out. Odd squeak coming from the rear wheel. I thought at first it was Di2 but then looked down and noticed black dust all over the draft box. The wheel was rubbing big time. I let some air out a little at a time to get some clearance and finished the ride. Came home and glued some very small pieces of rubber band between the box and clamp surface and bolted it back together. Seems like it added just enough clearance and didn't change anything. I've got a nice little burnt rubber streak up the center of the draft box....

My fit is super close too but mine doesn't rub. Do you have the Aeolus 6.5s? I use 100psi or even a bit lower. I weigh about 155.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local Trek dealer had the frameset only priced at $4700. Want a couple hundred additional to build the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl you been fantastic and really appreciate you following up asking how my visit went.

My local Trek dealer is a great bunch of guys and have been extremely helpful to me in the past for wrench issues. I want to give them my business.

The problem is that they don't seem to know a lot about the bike. Which makes me a tad uncomfortable. I planned on just calling Trek corporate today and see if I could get some questions answered. The two biggest questions I have are:

1) They told me frameset only is available in White, gray and black. Not available in all black.

2) Complicated question. They did not seem to be clear exactly what was needed to run Di2 on the 9.9. So I have been trying to figure it out. Here is the list I have put together but want someone who knows to check it:

1) Rear Derailieur 7970
2) Front Derailleur 7970
3) TT Shift SW-7971
4) Brake levers ST-7971
5) Di2 Battery
6) Battery charger
7) Di2 internal cable for Derail junction box - EW-7975. Does not seem to be length driven like external ones
8) Trek proprietary battery mount hardware same as one for Madone
9) Trek proprietary special rear brake cover

Curious if I missed anything? Also my understanding is the first 7 items are not specific to Speed Concept only items 8 and 9. If this would be better answered through PM or phone call to Trek let me know.

I really, really appreciate all the value you have provided on the forum Carl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Trek officially support a Zipp SUb 9 disk on the Speed Concept? My friends SC should be here next week and he needs this information.

Thanks,
Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look earlier in the thread and Carl mentions no problem with any of the popular wheels including the Zipp Sub 9
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Correct, at this time.
2) Also correct, plus the EW-79A-I front wiring harness and (depending on if your dealer or other outlet where you get it includes or sells separately) the battery charger power cord ISMBCC12. As I understand it, 8 & 9 will be offered together as a kit...but it doesn't look like it's visible in the dealer ordering system yet. Soon!

And thanks for the kind words. I'm enjoying this.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please answer my question Re: Zipp Sub 9 disk in a medium Speed Concept frame.

Thanks,
Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe he said its fine.

Admittedly, it was buried several pages back: no disk wheel incompatibilities we're aware of. Weaver seems happy with the setup.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a relief! Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, for local TT's, that are too short to make a repair or drink, would you put the Bonty bottle on the seat tube and the Draft box on or leave them off?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,
I've really enjoyed your feedback in the forum. Here's one more. I'm going to get a SC frameset from my LBS, but need advice on sizing. Measurements are take from Retul fit.

Height 5'8"
Saddle height 729
Saddle setback -6
Base bar stack 597
Base bar reach 463 (measured to center of bar, not brake levers)
Aeropad stack 635
Aeropad reach 448

I seem to fit in three different frames with three different stems
1. Small with 100/45 stem
2. Medium but not a good fit with any stem
3. Large with 50/10 stem

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Is there any difference in handling with the different stems or amount of risers?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, this is something I'd love to spend a bunch of time on with Manny...playing with rider and accessory positions to see if there's some good general guidance...or not. Based on limited testing to date, I'd leave the draftbox on and only include the aerobottle (on the ST) if you expect the average yaw during the course of your race to be relatively low (10deg or less).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ironmanfgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the Small + 100/45 if I were you.

You could also go with the Small + 110/75, and ride it with no spacers. That would get you a little closer to your current base bar stack. But personally, I think the tall stems are going to look a little funny. Avoid if possible.

Going to a larger frame would be possible, but isn't totally advisable. You're a great fit on the Small frame with the 100 stems, because they place you right in the middle of their range of pad reach. If you ever need to move your fit numbers, you're better off in the middle of a range, than on the fringes. These bikes are going to handle fine with either the near or far stems. The bike has a slack-ish head tube to help with that, and none of these stems are extreme, assuming you don't move your pads forward another 40mm.

Of course, Carl may tell me I'm off my rocker ;-)

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JudgeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude: did you order one of these yet????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah the joys of being in the middle of the armpad stack range on that chart...so many options.

Curious, isn't it, how at your pad stack the Small + 100/45 and the Large + 50/10 differ significantly only by ~15mm of bullhorn reach.

At your saddle height I'd nudge you towards the Small, and like Nick says there are a couple of stem options there. Leaving bullhorn coordinates out of it for the moment, for either one you're near the edge of the pad stack range, so you have to ask yourself if for whatever reason (race distance, age, etc) you're more likely to go up over time (get the 110/75) or down (go 100/45).

The wildcard is your bullhorn preference or need...if you're really dialled in on your braking/out-of-saddle/"rest" position and use it a lot and therefore don't want to change it much then you're probably narrowing it down even more to the 110/75. OR, going the steer-stub route and using the bar system of your choice to really drag & drop your current cockpit onto an SC.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more question Carl:

My wife thinks her pink top makes her look fat and asks me what I think. Should I:
a- tell her the truth and sleep on the couch?
b- lie?

Thanks for everything Carl, you are the best

Rather than look back and say "why?", look forward and say "why not?!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I'm not interested in the steer-stub route, thank you very much. Having some background in science, although much less than yourself, intuitively there would a difference in bike handling between a small frame with 100/45 stem and 40mm of spacers, a 110/75 stem with little/no spacers, and a large frame (fill up the space with frame approach) with a 50/10 stem and a few spacers. Although my last physics course was 20 years ago, there has to be some differences. Then again maybe not? Then again, I don't see too many bikes with 50 mm stems.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [twack26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c - erase your browser history, dump your cache, and sign up for all the overtime you can now that you've already told a few million of your closest friends what you think Tongue

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What effects handling: certain aspects of the bike geometry and your weight distribution relative to that geometry. So, what you're asking about is actually 2 different cases with different answers. Basically:
  • For the same small frame with different stems & spacer combos to achieve the same pad position, there's no appreciable difference when you're on the extensions. Bike geometry hasn't changed, and neither has your position relative to it. Yes, the c.g. of the bar system has changed slightly, but within a very small envelope. Out on the bullhorns, however, your weight distribution relative to the bike moves in concert with the differences in bullhorn stack and reach between the two stem sizes. The further forward or lower you are, the more twitchy things will become.
  • Going to the large frame vs small frame, there's a significant increase in front-center...so not only is there more bike under you but also in front of you. Correspondingly, with the short & low stem on that larger frame your steering inputs are happening closer to the steering axis than on the small frame. Everything slows down.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you're giving out sizing advice:

How about for this:

Pad Stack: 608mm (would like to be open to explore a lower position)
Bar Sack: ~580mm
Pad Center Reach: ~520mm (although I think I am a little stretched out, 500 to 510 would probably get my arm angle a bit better)
Reach to Stem: ~547mm
Saddle height: 740 mm (how I have it measured ;) )

I'm thinking Medium with a 100/10, I think the small with the 100/10 might be to short; should I not like 500-510 reach, and the Large won't go low enough.

Edit: I did just noticed that my reach # above is saddle nose (adamo @ -25mm) to pad center; so my actual reach from BB is ~495

hmmmm
/edit
Last edited by: sentania: Jul 6, 10 12:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next