Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
fatties want to get awards.

In all seriousness, why are there any categories beyond:

Juniors (19 and under)
Open (20-39)
Masters (40+)

People want to get awards and be a winner, so they create more categories to give out more awards.

There should be 1 category. ALL PEOPLE.

There is one winner and a lot of losers. You finish 1'st you win. You don't have the best time you lose. Thats it, but your right about people wanting awards so the groups will continue to expand.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'6 183 with 8% bf. You need to lose some muscle mass if you want to be competitive.

Matt reed is a good example at 6'5 175ish.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [Dubsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I'm 6'6 and used to be 210 when I lifted weights. Because I want to be competitive I dieted down to mid 180s. I can podium in ag and podium overall at some smaller local races.

You can still be tall and fast. Tj tolkenson is another example. I think he's closer to 200. Greg remaly being another, he's 6'5 190-195.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Juniors (19 and under)
Open (20-39)
Masters (40+)

People want to get awards and be a winner, so they create more categories to give out more awards.

There is one winner and a lot of losers. You finish 1'st you win. You don't have the best time you lose. Thats it, but your right about people wanting awards so the groups will continue to expand.

Best answer yet. I am 6'2" and about 170 lbs. No way I'll ever go sub-18:30 5k, so there's not a chance in hell I'll pull out 5:30's in a tri.. But I'm not looking for an intermediate weight class so I can be competitive.

The only thing I like about age groups is it gives me certain people I see over and over and gives me something to shoot for. When I know there are a few people around my age/ability I have benchmarks. Beyond that, who cares? Tri is a sport against yourself for almost all of us. Those shooting for an overall win, good luck and nice job. I'll see you when I get around to finishing.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Originally for taller athletes but been hijacked by us fatties.

Helps make us fatties feel good about ourselves. We can come top ten rather than top 100 :-)

There was a guy at the Rotorua 1/2 IM a couple of years. (they thought he'd won the clydesdale division, but he'd inadvertantly cut the course). He gets up on stage. The RD knew he was single and asked him if he had any words for the ladies. His response was "I might be might not be a big man, but I've got 105kg to push it in with"

I'm sure there are some people that are still wiping tears from their eyes after hearing that live! That was a sound bite if ever I heard one!

Clydesdales ROCK!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [FisH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"Should there be a category for ex-swimmers who can't run?"

Umm, yes please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what's more annoying this thread or the annual swimsuit edition thread. I forgot how many "perfect" people are here on ST. I may have a few extra lbs but I'm not the idiot(s) spending ridiculous amounts of money for some dimples that will apparently make me faster. If we can lose the extra lbs then you perfect people can train more and you wouldn't need the dimpled tires, water bottles, rims, helmets, frames, seats, shoes, wetsuits, underwear......I wish we all could be so perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [WhisperingDeath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't know what's more annoying this thread or the annual swimsuit edition thread. I forgot how many "perfect" people are here on ST. I may have a few extra lbs but I'm not the idiot(s) spending ridiculous amounts of money for some dimples that will apparently make me faster. If we can lose the extra lbs then you perfect people can train more and you wouldn't need the dimpled tires, water bottles, rims, helmets, frames, seats, shoes, wetsuits, underwear......I wish we all could be so perfect.

Yes cause no clydesdale has ever bought zipps before.... I love when people bring up this dumb idea that you should train instead of buy fast gear, you know you can wait for it.... DO BOTH! Don't bitch at the skinny guys because we took up a sport that fits our body type. Its not like I bitch that there should be a football league with skinny lineman so I can play center or someother ridiculous idea. But nooo its triathlon gotta win an award or ill cry.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Umm, yes please.

I believe it is called "aquabike" of which there are extremely few :( (bite me Lance)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [FisH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Umm, yes please.

I believe it is called "aquabike" of which there are extremely few :( (bite me Lance)

But I don't want to do an aquabike. I want a separate category to maximize my talents and minimize my deficiencies in a "real" triathlon":)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude. TJ is not even close to 200. Just sayin.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.train-perfect.at/.../AinAlarJuhanson.jpg

Doesnt hold him back and he is well over 200lbs
Last edited by: Brind-Surch: Jun 24, 10 4:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We all know a guy who weighs between 200-205 lbs. and gets off on racing Clydesdale because it makes him more competitive than if he were just in his AG. One good shit and he's no longer a Clydesdale.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [TmonT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: there is a demand for it. the product of triathlon meets that demand. nothing more complicated is at work.

Would people really not enter races if they did not have these categories?

To the women out there - Do you really sign up to race in a "heavier" category? Don't most of you lie about your weight /age anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't understand what the problem is....with the clydesdales out of your age group you have less competition and they aren't taking a podium spot away from you....why does it matter? They are no longer racing against you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This was posed in another thread, but I did not want to hijack that one.
I have been wondering this question - Why do we have categories for heavier people? (Not all heavy people are fat, some are taller/thicker/more muscle/etc).
What is the history of this category? Did some relatively fast heavier people complain that they couldn't compete with the smaller ones?
Or was it a carryover from the marathon?

I love the Clydesdale division for the really big guys. I think 200 lbs is a little bit light to qualify for clydesdale... maybe 250 is more appropriate... you know, the guys who are doing good just to finish. I like seeing those guys out there because doing tri's is making a difference in their lives. If they want a class to give them motivation to compete in, so be it!

-Jason
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So Clydesdale to most people implies "A large, powerful horse" - IE - A big dude on the race course.

Why did they pick Athena to describe a similarly proportioned female?

I always thought "Amazon" would be a more appropriate designation

--
"It's too bad stupidity isn't painful."
-Anton LaVey
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [jasondubose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
This was posed in another thread, but I did not want to hijack that one.
I have been wondering this question - Why do we have categories for heavier people? (Not all heavy people are fat, some are taller/thicker/more muscle/etc).
What is the history of this category? Did some relatively fast heavier people complain that they couldn't compete with the smaller ones?
Or was it a carryover from the marathon?

I love the Clydesdale division for the really big guys. I think 200 lbs is a little bit light to qualify for clydesdale... maybe 250 is more appropriate... you know, the guys who are doing good just to finish. I like seeing those guys out there because doing tri's is making a difference in their lives. If they want a class to give them motivation to compete in, so be it!

I completely agree. It takes more courage to do something that is a struggle than it does for something that is in comparison easy. These people are trying to better their lives. When they start a race their goal is to finish not to podium. They inspire me to do more to better my life not complain about their achievements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Re: there is a demand for it. the product of triathlon meets that demand. nothing more complicated is at work.

Would people really not enter races if they did not have these categories?

To the women out there - Do you really sign up to race in a "heavier" category? Don't most of you lie about your weight /age anyway?

I've signed up as an Athena because I like tchotkes. I'm 5' 9" and can go either way.

@kburnsgallagher
http://www.somerandomthursday.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why it matters to anyone. I race as a clydesdale. I am always working on my weight, and have not weighed less than 200lbs since I was 12 years old.

But...throughout my late teens and into my mid 20's I had a sixpack that would make most triathletes jealous. I was playing highly competitive rugby at an international level and was running a 4:20 mile. All that at 5'11" and 215lbs.

When I hit 30 I was looking for a way to fight the bulge that so many former rugby plyers struggle with. I looked at triathlon as a possible sport, but was really intimidated by all of the super fast and super thin dudes I saw on TV. When I read about the clydesdale weight class I realized that this was a sport that was embracing anyone who wanted to get in shape and have fun.

I was over 260lbs when I decided that I would do my first Clydesdale tri. Two years ago I actualy dipped to 195 when I raced a 70.3. Today I am 220lbs and am training again after a long road back from some serious illness.

My life is better because of triathlon, and that never would have happened without the Clydesdale division. Having a clydesdale category draws people like me to the sport, and I don't think that is such a bad thing.

Oh yeah...I even finished on the podium once (well twice in the same race) 1st Clydesdale, 3rd AG. I got a little placque of me crossing the finish line at the end of the season, and still have it in a sock drawer somewhere.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [10-4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Juniors (19 and under)
Open (20-39)
Masters (40+)

Best answer yet. I am 6'2" and about 170 lbs. No way I'll ever go sub-18:30 5k...

sorry, those dimensions are not an excuse

http://www.usatf.org/...s/Solinsky_Chris.asp

Nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [WillyMFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Juniors (19 and under)
Open (20-39)
Masters (40+)

Best answer yet. I am 6'2" and about 170 lbs. No way I'll ever go sub-18:30 5k...

sorry, those dimensions are not an excuse

http://www.usatf.org/...s/Solinsky_Chris.asp

Thats not the point. I'm 6'2" 170 as well, my run times are sub-par, but it has nothing to do with my height. I'm just not a natural runner. I'm not asking for a special class because of this however.

I admit I will whine that the swim should be longer, or that wetsuits should be banned. This is with full knowledge that both of these things will benefit me, and that they will never happen.

It's a runners sport, my only option for placing higher is to run faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we need an AG per person, since we all have an excuse why others get an unfair advantage. This way, EVERYONE can leave the event saying they have won, have a medal, and no one has their feelings hurt. It is just not fair I have to race against short people who weigh less than me. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

It is funny when you see another clydesdale on the course that is 201 and just beefed up a bit to get out of the AG.

Dude! I worked a whole lot harder to beef up than I have at triathlon!!!!

You disin' me???

:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category?

Mostly so people will have one more thing to whine and complain about on forums. It also gives people fodder to trash other people and propagate their misconceptions.

Having the category never has hurt me in any way. It did help me one time when I received a first place award in my age group when technically I finished second to someone racing Clydesdale.

The category gives more people the opportunity to compete within the race. It wasn’t created for the purpose of making overweight persons more comfortable with starting the sport, but it does serve that purpose and many of those who jump in that way have quickly lost their way into age group racing. There are those who have made Clydesdale racing more like a club or a fraternity than competitive racing. That is a difficult concept for ultra competitive people to grasp, but they do have a good time. I see all of these things as a good thing for the sport.
Quote Reply

Prev Next