Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category?
Quote | Reply
This was posed in another thread, but I did not want to hijack that one.
I have been wondering this question - Why do we have categories for heavier people? (Not all heavy people are fat, some are taller/thicker/more muscle/etc).
What is the history of this category? Did some relatively fast heavier people complain that they couldn't compete with the smaller ones?
Or was it a carryover from the marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'7'', 220 pounds with about 8% body fat.....I have never seen anyone close to that size win my age group. Next time you are heading out for your A race strap on another 80 pounds or so and you will see..I am pretty sure that is the point of the division, just to make it more competitive for those who physiologically can't compete (namely on the run) with the 135 pound guys and 105 pound girls.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn Shrek! You must be a sight to see haha

Jonathan
USA Triathlon Coach/Adventure Extraordinaire
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that. You are obviously a physical beast. Damn I wish I was that tall.
That height / weight / body fat puts you in a category that I have not seen much of at the races that I have done. A lot of the bigger guys/gals that I have seen could get under the cutoff with the loss of some blubber.
Myself at 5'10" 175, I can't compete with the fast, skinny guys either. Could I get that slim? Maybe, but I like a little muscle.
I also can't compete with the guys that ran track / cross country / swam in HS or college. I've only been on a bike for 3 years and I can't hang with the guys that have been cycling forever.
But, I don't ask for a different category so I can compete with people that have the same top end speed as me. I feel like the AG categories should be enough.

(DJCIII - this is not meant directly at you, just my general feelings. I wouldn't want to piss someone off that could pick me up and rock me like a baby - Haha)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its true that mostly overweight people compete in those categories but that wasn't what they were originally intended for.

In Reply To:
That height / weight / body fat puts you in a category that I have not seen much of at the races that I have done. A lot of the bigger guys/gals that I have seen could get under the cutoff with the loss of some blubber.
Myself at 5'10" 175, I can't compete with the fast, skinny guys either. Could I get that slim? Maybe, but I like a little muscle.
I also can't compete with the guys that ran track / cross country / swam in HS or college. I've only been on a bike for 3 years and I can't hang with the guys that have been cycling forever.
But, I don't ask for a different category so I can compete with people that have the same top end speed as me. I feel like the AG categories should be enough.

(DJCIII - this is not meant directly at you, just my general feelings. I wouldn't want to piss someone off that could pick me up and rock me like a baby - Haha)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

There I am, in all my glory...getting ready to have my a$$ handed to me on the run leg of Memphis in May.

Anyway, I understand the frustration. Of course I train with guys that are all smaller than me and don't have a chance to make it up to clydesdale. They are fast, faster than me...but I know they will probably never podium in a race. There are just too many guys that are faster than them. I certainly don't podium at every race but I have a much better shot than they do at just about every race where I toe the line. I get that frustration. Every once in a while we clydesdales have to deal with it too. It is funny when you see another clydesdale on the course that is 201 and just beefed up a bit to get out of the AG. I will admit, I try to race AG when I feel I have a chance to place well at a particular race. However, at races that do not lend themselves to my size (hilly and/or hot) I just accept that I need to be in clydesdale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because America's full of bloaters. Other countries don't have this nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search this very board for previous posts on the issue by me and you'll find all you seek.

Or you can look up "clydesdale history" on google. You should get to an article posted by the folks at runbig chicago. You'll see where it all came from, our own humble Baltimore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'8 and 220 pounds. I've won my age group multiple times over the years (mostly by laying down fast bike splits), but only in shorter races. The longer they go, the more I overheat and slow down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't they just have Slow and Fast divisions?

Or like cycling Cat IV etc.

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jO4: Jun 23, 10 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having your a$$ handed to you in the run has nothing to do with being tall, I'm pretty sure Matty Reed does just fine at 6'5" 180.

I just ran across my results from MIM in 2007. 30-34 AG.

2nd place in swim: 18:16
15th place in bike: 59.20 (24.8)
34th place run: 46:01 (7:25)

Should there be a category for ex-swimmers who can't run? I got 17th in AG, to podium I would have to drop my 7:25 miles to somewhere around a 6:00 mile. Not going to happen, I just have to face the facts that I won't podium until I can swim in 15" and up my bike speed to 27 or so (like the 2nd place guy who beat me in the swim, averaged 27.2 mph and threw down 6:22's and still got beat by a guy running 5:13's.)

IMHO, Clydesdale/Athena is just another way to make some people feel good about themselves. Just like my nephews playing baseball but "not keeping score" and "everyone gets to bat". Even my nephews don't see what the point is, we're not fooling anyone.

P.S. I do like the triathlon strict age group better than the UCI categories. Granted, I am winning the mtn bike Sport category this year and plan to move up to Comp when I can, but lets face it, I'm sandbagging in Sport if I can win. I can't imagine the sandbagging that would go on if triathlon had categories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boxing and wrestling have weight classes

Cycling has ability-based categories

Running has age groups and sometimes an ability-based category (elite or open)

Triathlon has all 3 - makes sense to me, being TRIathlon after all
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [FisH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I guess you aren't familiar with the qualification for clydesdale....has nothing to do with height. As you correctly pointed out I weigh 40 pounds more the Matty....I bet he couldn't put down the run splits with an extra 40 pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our local duathlon this past weekend had...wait for it... Hippo and Rhino categories.

Clydesdale and Athena imply big, muscular *beefy*

Hippo and Rhino? Not flattering, but appropriate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't having a set weight (200lbs) give a tall person like yourself a huge advantage over a shorter, but heavier person? Why not a height/weight formula or BMI?

I am assuming this is because it is oriented towards big people, not necessarily fat. I don't see a whole lot of fat on you

In Reply To:
Yeah, I guess you aren't familiar with the qualification for clydesdale....has nothing to do with height. As you correctly pointed out I weigh 40 pounds more the Matty....I bet he couldn't put down the run splits with an extra 40 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [RebeccaCreekKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Clydesdale to most people implies "A large, powerful horse" - IE - A big dude on the race course.

Why did they pick Athena to describe a similarly proportioned female? From this link - http://www.wisegeek.com/who-is-athena.htm - it appears that she is the Goddess of Wisdom and War. Does this imply that large women in triathlon are supposed to be more intelligent and can whip a$$ more than their smaller competitors?

Why not stick with the horse theme for male and female? Or the Greek God theme for both sexes?

(I really don't care either way, just a slow day at the office)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
simplest reason of all - nobody has hit it yet:

there is a demand for it. the product of triathlon meets that demand. nothing more complicated is at work.

if there was adequate demand for a class of wal-mart bikes, or fixies or guys running in crocs, or anything else you care to name - triathlons would meet that demand.

the question of its fairness, or motivation for competing in it, whether on not euro's have it, or any other ethical concern is entirely beside the point. persoanlly, i find it highly ironic that big people completely get over in other sports all their life, but as soon as they find one they don't have a natural advantage in they cry like little girls about it and demand special consideration ( as if they granted special consideration to smaller people back in high school when they were the sports stars . . . . yeah ). but no matter - it's there cuz people want it to be, and support it.
Last edited by: TmonT: Jun 23, 10 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I'm sure if you really wanted to you could drop 40lbs and run faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fatties want to get awards.

In all seriousness, why are there any categories beyond:

Juniors (19 and under)
Open (20-39)
Masters (40+)

People want to get awards and be a winner, so they create more categories to give out more awards.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

People want to get awards and be a winner, so they create more categories to give out more awards.

It's also has the potential to bring in more money for the RD/race. So yes people want to get more awards, but people (race organization) also enjoy making more money. So really it's the American Capitalist way!!

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race it because I have low self esteem, weigh 210lbs when I haven't downed a 12 pack, and can't swim very well. I win it because I can bike and run nasty for a boy my size. I'd still rather get alot of sex than get a trophy but races are like women. If they are giving, I am taking. So suck on that all you skinny bitches 8)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is there a Clydesdale/Athena Category? [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I race it because I have low self esteem, weigh 210lbs when I haven't downed a 12 pack, and can't swim very well. I win it because I can bike and run nasty for a boy my size. I'd still rather get alot of sex than get a trophy but races are like women. If they are giving, I am taking. So suck on that all you skinny bitches 8)

haha

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i find it highly ironic that big people completely get over in other sports all their life, but as soon as they find one they don't have a natural advantage in they cry like little girls about it and demand special consideration

Actually, at the elite level, more sports have lightweight categories to allow midgets to compete than the reverse. As an example rowing has lightweights, boxing has heaps of weight classes. Running and cycling don't have concessions to size.

Recreational events can do whatever they like to increase consumer buy in, they don't matter in a competitive sense but driving increased participation is (generally) to the good of the sport.

Everyone needs to accept that different bodies suit different sports and that if they want to do something about not being suited to their sport they should change sports or just accept getting beaten. I will never be a Jockey or an elite runner, if I wanted to do something I'm suited to I'd row. But I like Tri and I just aim to be the best I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's to lever the playing field for big people, not fat people.

It just wasn't enough for them to be dominant in Football, Hockey, Basketball etc...they needed a division so they could feel good about themselves in a sport that they are not naturally selected for.

jaretj
Quote Reply

Prev Next