Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite line in the SG agreement is "The terms and conditions of this Agreement shall be kept confidential except to the extent disclosures are necessary in order to effectuate this Agreement or are required by law."

WTC cannot be please that this document is out. Regardless, I didn't read anything earth shaking HOWEVER I find St. George's restriction to triathlons no longer than 32 miles to be BS.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, yes, the WTC should respect me for doing my homework to get a story straight - and get all of the facts right. (Including showing up at the Expo in Boise last Friday at the 70.3 (while on vacation) to ask questions about new information - more reputable than the April information that caused me to call WTC in Florida before the Galveston event - that I had been given in the last month about IM Texas.)

For the record, WTC's public relations manager that I've been working with is extremely professional (which didn't surprise me one bit) and has been as helpful as she is able to be.

I'm sure that the SGCVB is like the TWCVB in that those documents are likely to be subject to open records requests unless they seek an opinion from the Attorney General (at least here in Texas that is how it works) on why they shouldn't be released to the public.

Jon Walk
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"WTC cannot be please that this document is out. Regardless, I didn't read anything earth shaking HOWEVER I find St. George's restriction to triathlons no longer than 32 miles to be BS."

So that means, no Olympic distance races can be held in the area unless produced by WTC??
1.5k Swim + 40k Bike + 10k Run = 51.5k = 32 miles

If that is the case, then yeah BS...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should reconsider the location. It should be in Galveston. More Hotel rooms, less homeowner traffic, less stagnet air, possibily better water and a lot more to do before and after the race. I will do it know matter where, but Texas is a big State and the Woodlands is not a good choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Iron2277] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...but no refuge from that hot Texas sun. I'm willing to bet that most of the run will be shaded in the Woodlands
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Iron2277] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the Woodlands might not be the best choice in this large state, but to me it's certainly a better choice than Galveston. Swim venues might be limited, but for the bulk of the race, the area around The Woodlands and Conroe offers much better scenery, shade and protection from wind. Still not much elevation change, but it's better than Galveston. It's also right next to a huge airport with plenty of hotels and restaurants.

As much as I'll enjoy having this in my backyard, I still would have preferred the Hill Country...Fredricksburg, Marble Falls, Boerne, New Braunfels....

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The success of Ironman Florida without being next to a major airport I think shows us that is not an issue. With Hobby and IAH people can get here. I think Galveston with its wind, saltwater and lack of shade makes for a tougher event. I like Austin also . Running in the shade? Come on now! No doubt it will fill up over night no matter where it is. But my vote would be to consider making the race as difficult as possible and to make us all pay in sweat for the convenience of having it in our own backyard. Can't wait!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the likely terrain for the bike course? I understand it's a wild guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's the likely terrain for the bike course? I understand it's a wild guess.

Getting out of The Woodlands (about 10 miles) will be dead flat (same for the final 10 miles or so). After that expect small rollers most of the way. Nothing big at all. And yes I can say that without having seen a bike map. I've ridden just about every road around here and it doesn't matter where they go it will be small rollers. Leading speculation is that the route will make is way to and through the Sam Houston National Forest. A nice route that we ride all the time. A small local non-branded half ironman is held out there in the Fall.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link to the Ironstar Half Ironman held in the same area:

http://www.mapmyride.com/...montgomery/115089555

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relative to a course like Couer d'Alene it'll be pretty flat, but not pancake flat. Sam Houston National Forest is a nice place to ride if the course goes that way.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I know that a definition of "small rollers" varies by where someone lives.
Is it safe to assume since it's Texas...that small rollers are really small?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say it's not much different than the IMKY bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks. I know that a definition of "small rollers" varies by where someone lives.
Is it safe to assume since it's Texas...that small rollers are really small?

yes
i mean, its not safe to assume that in all of texas, but it is safe to assume in the woodlands and anywhere within 100 miles of it =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you consider the Longhorn 1/2 small roller as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Hill country. Buffalo Springs tri has some good hills.
Anyone have any compairisons? Like what IM course?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [trinundrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
do you consider the Longhorn 1/2 small roller as well?

haven't seen it

but ironstar half is small rollers

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Austin for 6yrs, I consider Longhorn to be a harder bike course than Buffalo springs. Buffalo spring is hilly but there are a lot of flat areas. Longhorn is hilly all the time in my opinion

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vince, interesting how perspectives vary. I'm from Houston, which of course is flat as a pancake. I've done Longhorn the last 2 years and Buffalo Springs last June, and I thought BS was significantly harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [myimtwocents] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lubbock isn't too bad. The majority of the course is pancake flat but where it goes up it goes up fast. Longhorn on the otherhand like someone else said is non-stop. Having said that my fastest half ironman split was at Longhorn.

"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lubbock isn't too bad. The majority of the course is pancake flat but where it goes up it goes up fast.

Exactly, the pair of hills leading out of T1 and onto the bike course, and finishing on those same 2 hills coming in for T2, are right out of the gate as steep and tough as any I've ever climbed. There were people coming into T2 last year getting off their bikes and walking the last hundred yards up the final hill.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [myimtwocents] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[There were people coming into T2 last year getting off their bikes and walking the last hundred yards up the final hill.[/quote]
Tell me about it. I had a guy flat in front of me at the bottom of that last hill. He jumped off his bike, threw it over his shoulder, and walked in bike shoes to the top faster than I did riding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks - is Bush the close airport to use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes but either way you'll need a car so Hobby is fine if you can get a significantly better fare. For example, Southwest only flies to Hobby.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd tell you to go somewhere else where they may be saying nice positive things about an Ironman in Texas in May if you don't want to read the negative stuff, but so far I've yet to find that place.

beginnertriathlete.com

They say nice things there...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Last edited by: JChapATX: Jun 18, 10 19:25
Quote Reply

Prev Next