Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend and I talked about the ironmantexas.com domain a while back, but since Lonestar is now "Ironman Texas 70.3", I could just as easily think it had something to do with that. Granted their website is ironmanlonestar.com - even though they renamed the event ironman texas 70.3 - guess my point is basically who knows what that means - they haven't exactly been consistent in the past!

Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May is the toughest time to race in Texas as the daily temperatures are usually sky rocketing yet no one has been able to do any heat acclimatization in yet. CapTex tri is notoriously a tough race due to this reason as people are just not physically ready to race in 85-90 degree temperatures. IMO March/April and October/November are the only reasonable months you could put on a ironman in the Houston Texas area. Else you are going to have IM Korea and IM China like conditions. We all know how much those races are loved.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what we know from today's Board of Director's Workship in The Woodlands Township:

+ The proposed event name will be the Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas.

+ The proposed date will be Saturday, May 21, 2011.

+ I do not have any complete details yet on the courses; however, they will be part of the complete presentation to the Board meeting on Wednesday, June 23, at 6 p.m.

+ Three-time Ironman TJ Fry (2006 Kona) spoke during the Public Comment period in support of the event.

+ Nick Wolda of The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau made the presentation to the Board.

+ Questioning from the Board seemed light, but the biggest question is how the residents will respond in the next six days to the potential hassles from road closures. (Two Directors - Bruce Tough and Nelda Luce Blair - seemed to be the most enthusiastic about the opportunity and what it would mean for The Woodlands.)

+ Four-time Ironman (98 and 99 Kona) Josh Urban, Chief Operating Officer of Memorial Hermann - The Woodlands, and Linda Nelson from MH-TW were in attendance.

+ The presenters (Wolda and attorney Bret Strong) indicated that an October date was originally discussed, but since that would be too close to Kona folks involved in the negotiations from The Woodlands Township felt like they couldn't get the top professional athletes, which has led to the May date.

Hope to have a complete story on Runner Triathlete News' website later today or tomorrow and in the Conroe Courier tomorrow.

Jon Walk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone died at the Hermann Memorial this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
+ The presenters (Wolda and attorney Bret Strong) indicated that an October date was originally discussed, but since that would be too close to Kona folks involved in the negotiations from The Woodlands Township felt like they couldn't get the top professional athletes, which has led to the May date.

No talk of March or April? October is one month out of the year...I understand people not coming then because of Kona...but that also hasn't stopped IMFL. I still do not really understand choosing something that late in the spring/early summer - I assume it ultimately comes down to money, etc, and not the actual best interests of the athletes.

Quote | Reply
Okay, thinking a little more about this...

The training for a May 21 race in Texas would actually be about as close to perfect as you can get. The first few rides may be a bit cold in Jan/Feb, but we won't ever really get that hot training...at least I hope not...

May 21 does sound better than May 29 or 30 or whenever Memorial Day is - only a week difference, but for some reason sounds not nearly as hot :-)

Average high for that day is 85, average low is 65. Record high is 95 set in 2005.

Past Few Years:
2010: 91/75
2009: 88/60
2008: 91/71
hmmm....not seeing where that average of 85 is coming from yet!!
2007: 82/63
oh...apparently it was a cool May for all of 2007 - that year was the outlier for the later dates in May as well
2006: 89/63

So averages for the last 5 years are 88.2/66.4. Take out 2007 and your average high for the day is 90.

Average humidity for that time period is 70% (averaging the average humidity for the day).

Quote | Reply
We need some historical analysis of Lake Woodlands water temps on May 21st. I know the CB&I race the first weekend in May is usually wetsuit legal but is very close. I would assume three weeks later would make water temps too high?!?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooooh - didn't even think about that. Even if the water was wetsuit legal, the air wouldn't be! (i.e. you'd melt as soon as you tried to get into a wetsuit and stood around for 5 minutes). I'm pretty certain the water would be way above wetsuit legal, especially considering I think the limit is going down to 76 for 2011 races (I think I remember that...don't remember if it was WTC or USAT specific, but either way I think it would apply to this race).

Quote | Reply
I would love to do the race...but no way for late May. I am a native Texas (now live in TN), born in Houston. We all deal with heat, I just don't understand why on purpose you would place the race during this time? It should be in early April. There are no IMs in April. This race could kick off the season just like IMAZ in April used too...funny, didn't they eventually move that race...because of weather?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100% - why make something okay when you could make it great?

I just went back to look at the Cozumel weather from last year - I heard stories about how awful it was...and it was nothing close to the weather IMTX will have. I also looked at Gulf Coast weather - that one has been rough every time I've done it...highs there still usually in the low 80s..similar humidity, but not as high of temps.

I don't think I can pass up an event like this in my backyard, but I have a feeling I will be hating life in a whole new way around 4pm next May 21. You will be the smart one sitting in some nice AC somewhere!

Quote | Reply
I've been following this thread as a guest for a while now, mainly because I was interested in the latest news related to the potential of The Woodlands hosting an Ironman. I finally joined this forum today just to be able to respond to this particular thread and all of those who are complaining about it. This is an Ironman. This is not something where unless every single condition is absolutely perfect that you gripe and complain and avoid the race. It is what it is. You accept the conditions as they are on that particular day and then you do it. Period. I have been a distance runner most of my life, and have run the Houston Marathon in January ten times with temperatures ranging from freezing to nearly 90+ degrees. Thus, no temperatures are predictable, but I didn't say in any of those years that unless the temperatures were in an exact range and the date was an exact date that I wasn't going to do it. I got into triathlons 2 years ago and have since done multiple half-Ironmans where the conditions were totally brutal in more than a couple of them, but I did the best I could do on those days and just raced smart. My goal now is to do a full Ironman in 2011. If this race is confirmed I will enter it immediately and I will train and prepare myself for whatever conditions present themselves. If it's 100+ degrees on that day, then I'll plan accordingly and if I have to slow down on the swim and bike and then walk the entire 26.2 miles, I'll do it. I know for certain that there have been other Ironman events around the world where the conditions have been incredibly hot, including Kona. If you had an opportunity to do Kona, would you refuse because it's going to be hot and windy? No, you'd enter it in a heartbeat and you wouldn't belly-ache about what it's going to be. This is Houston. It doesn't matter what date they pick, it could potentially be a very hot day. For all of those touting March, April, October or November, you'd better go back and look at historical temperatures on certain days there as well. If you're going to continue to complain, then keep negative comments to yourself and stop pulling everyone around you down. Be an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [myimtwocents] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand what you are saying. However, would you not raise an eyebrow if the Houston Marathon Committee all of a sudden decided to move its race to May? Would you not think that maybe there would be a better time for it?

Yes, we never know what kind of weather we are going to get on race day, especially in Texas. No, we aren't going to just say "no thanks" the day before a race because the weather isn't perfect. BUT, having a race of this nature on a day where hitting 90 is not quite as likely makes way more sense than having it on a day where it is almost inevitable.

Starting a marathon somewhere between 2 and 4pm on any afternoon after about the end of April will be rough - how rough depends on the day. But compare that to the thought of starting one at that time in March or early April, and chances are those days would be much more pleasant, not to mention safe.

As far as "keep your negative comments to yourself - well, this is slowtwitch, and my comments would be considered positive compared to half the stuff that is posted here. I'd tell you to go somewhere else where they may be saying nice positive things about an Ironman in Texas in May if you don't want to read the negative stuff, but so far I've yet to find that place.

Quote | Reply
Kathleen, your comments make perfect sense. I appreciate your input. All I'm saying is that it is what it is. I've read your comments throughout this thread, they are logical. I'm talking about the people who seek out any and everything that is negative. I'm sure that if I were to take the time and follow the comments by these people on other threads, they'd be negative about something on them as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ultimatewoodlands.com/...-triathlon-woodlands

Here is an article from todays meeting.

Heat and long distance sucks, but 25 miles from my house is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with myimtwocents. I grew up in LJ and went to UH. Been gone for a few years. But, I raced IM-Louisville two years ago. We're talking ungodly humidity and I remember running by a bank sign that read 105. Not sure Houston in May is any worse than Louisville in August. Now, no way in HELL would I race an IM in Houston in July or August, but prolly would do May. Just sayin'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a pretty darn good chance the route will at some point be just a few blocks from my house. There's no way I'm missing this. I've got my credit card at the ready for when the open up registration.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [tri-hog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://www.ultimatewoodlands.com/...-triathlon-woodlands

Here is an article from todays meeting.

Heat and long distance sucks, but 25 miles from my house is good.

Couple of things about that article.

The Woodlands race will not be the first Ironman distance race in Texas.They used to have one at Boerne City Lake in the Texas Hill Country near San Antonio.It didn't have a pretty M-Dot in it's logo so it was canned due to lack of inerest.

The $100,000 donation to local charities is the same amount that they gave to the oil spill disaster.Must be some serious disaster happening in the Woodlands or perhaps the generous donation to the "Gulf situation" wasn't as generous as people would have us believe.

After reducung the field in Aussie Ironmans,reducing the qualifying spots in Oz and not supporting Ironman Malaysia they open a new Ironman in the US!Now it is their business and I don't have a problem with that but please lets not kid ourselves anymore about Ironman Hawaii being a bit of a joke when it comes to being a true World Championships for the age groupers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very excited that this looks like it will happen. The only question is when is sign up and will it fill up in only a few hours?

With regard to heat, I agree with you. There is not much you can do about it. I seem to remember the mercury tickling the high 90's the last time I did Buffallo Springs years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! They dusted off TJ Fry? That dude was awesome, and made our WCC training rides back in the day so much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I did the True Texan that year. Holy-freakin'-smokes, we had a massive gully-washer around 4am that race morning. It washed out the back half of the bike course. So, we rode to the special needs and turned around and retraced our steps. What almost EVERY athlete missed was at the pre-race meeting they told us, because of road conditions and safety, bike special needs would be well past half way. It was at mile 64. That damn bike leg was 128 miles! The run was absolutely brutal. We ran to the top of a plateau and back twice. Really really fun race, though. Too bad they couldn't keep it going.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Jeff P.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the only reason people are suggesting different dates is because it is in the "planning" stages at the moment and the hopes are that organizers may read the comments. Of course once the date is finalized, then sure people will have to accept it and the weather will just become part of the character of this race.

I have not done an IM yet, so this may be a well known question but are these races usually capped at 2500 people? I'd always thought there were more spots than that but I can understand why they sell out so fast if that is the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [jlew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can Lake Woodlands really fit a 2000+ swim? Looking at google streetview it seems very small, and knowing Texas lakes you wont even be able to see your hand in front of you. From what i know of that area the run is likely to provide lots of cover from the trees if they pick the right roads.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [jlew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the Workshop yesterday, it was clear that the date will be Saturday, May 21, 2011.

This was Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau's Nick Wolda's reply to Director Ed Robb at yesterday's Workshop:

"CB&I is always the first Saturday in May. This will be the third Saturday in May. The date was very heavily discussed … The World Championship is in Kona in October. There was a request to have this take place in October. But because we want this to be a world class event, moving it to May brings professionals that will try to qualify. If you get it too close to the World Championships, you have some issues with the quality of athletes."

On an earlier post about the $100,000 donation, I believe that it is a standard item in their "Host Value Sponsorship Agreement". This 15-page document was referenced in yesterday's Workshop for the Board of Directors. Copies, of course, weren't made available, but at some point in time, I would suspect that it would become a document that will become a public record.

And I'm certain that this is what has been heavily negotiated by Bret Strong on the Township's behalf.

The following PDF file contains the negotiated "Host Value Sponsorship Agreement" for the deal WTC made with St. George Area Convention & Visitors Bureau:

http://www.ivins.com/...an%20Competition.pdf

There were things that I heard yesterday in the Workshop - and compared it to this document - and I've come away with the belief that The Woodlands team has negotiated themselves a comparitively good deal.

The general bike and run courses are to be presented Wednesday evening, but John Powers with The Woodlands Township explained to me, of course, that the bike course, especially, could have many minor changes based on professional traffic control plans that will be done.

Jon Walk
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what this will do to the CB&I and Gateway to the Bay races. The 2011 Texas 70.3 moved to the same weekend the Gateway was to be run (second weekend in April). The Gateway race date changed to April 30th, 2011 - potentially conflicting with CB&I. Now the Gateway race has a TBD date and nothing has been mentioned of CB&I. A first Saturday in May date for CB&I is later this year (May 7th).

It is what it is but it looks like the two WTC events in the Houston area are going to muddy the logistical waters for the local races in April and May.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was specific questioning from Directors at Wednesday morning's session about CB&I. It was reiterated by Nick Wolda (or Bret Strong) in the presentation that CB&I would be held on Saturday, May 7 and that Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas would be held on Saturday, May 21.

600 of the 1,050 competitors for CB&I this year were from Montgomery County towns or Spring. Additionally, Parks and Recreation stated that they had upwards of 450 first-timers at CB&I.

I haven't compared lists to see how many did Gateway and CB&I, which were three weeks apart, but it would be likely that there would be some impact to both races. However, the growth in the sport and the growth in the state of Texas, specifically, may not impact the races in numbers, but perhaps the quality of the top competitors.

I run, but I don't compete in triathlons (something about the swim). However, I've had it explained to me recently by local triathletes that they may be still inclined to do a sprint two weeks before an IM.

Jon Walk
Quote Reply

Prev Next