Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Woodlands actually has the potential to be a nice place for one...just not any time between about May 1 and September 30...that makes it an awful, awful idea.

And unfortunately it seems sometimes the places where we'd most like to see one, or we think would be just awesome, are the places where it never would/could happen. I've mentioned Austin several times, and there is apparently no way the city would ever shut down for that long...and the Longhorn course doesn't count...it is in the middle of a bunch of cowfields and you can see the Austin skyline far in the distance if you are at the top of a hill.

Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Location is good, the date sucks...WTF! We have IMSG in May, CDA in June, why not put Woodlands in late March or Early April? Make it the first race of the year...or move it to October?

I was raised in Houston, live in the Nashville area now close to Lou...Houston is not just warmer but much more humid. Not interested if this is the date.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thought just now was "explain to me why in the world you'd have a race in UTAH earlier in the year than in Houston!!"

People had a really, really hard time at CapTex this year (Austin's big sprint/olympic race on Memorial Day) - were dropping like flies. Austin can sometimes be a 1-2 degrees hotter, but Houston makes up for it with its humidity...so in my eyes they are very comparable...i.e. if that olympic was dicey, having an ironman in that kind of weather is just pure genius.

Quote | Reply
So much for the Galveston 70.3

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh if this thing really does come in for Memorial Day weekend, Lonestar, ahem, "Ironman Texas 70.3" will be about 8 weeks earlier - it is going back to the first weekend in April. The timing would work out well for those wanting a half while training for the full.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
People had a really, really hard time at CapTex this year (Austin's big sprint/olympic race on Memorial Day) - were dropping like flies. Austin can sometimes be a 1-2 degrees hotter, but Houston makes up for it with its humidity...so in my eyes they are very comparable...i.e. if that olympic was dicey, having an ironman in that kind of weather is just pure genius.

I heard CapTex was rough. I haven't spoken to one person who thinks it's a good idea to have an Ironman in Houston at the very end of May. Temps have been in the mid-90's the last couple of years.

Not that it will stop me from registering since there is no way I'm going to pass up an Ironman that is 25 miles from my house. Until common sense kicks in, I guess I'm saying, "See you in the med tent!"

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish they would swap dates. Much rather do a full in early April and the half in late May.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah an ironman here in texas in may is hot even for local texans used to heat. imagine coming here from lets say the northeast. if they have it here that weekend, i put money up that someone dies of heat stroke(seriously.)

phantom the pilot
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mac, I cover running/multisports for the daily newspaper in Montgomery County, the Conroe Courier, as well as Runner Triathlete News and Inside Texas Running.

My guess is that the host hotel would be the Marriott Waterway, but it only has 347 rooms.

I have a source within another property within Montgomery County that says there are two large blocks of rooms being held for the Memorial Day Weekend, which they can't access.
Last edited by: WalkSports: Jun 11, 10 23:46
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Texas state law requires meeting notices to be posted 72 hours in advance.

The Woodlands Township posted on Friday, June 11 an agenda of their Board of Director's Workshop for Thursday, June 17. The Workshop will determine which items are placed on the Regular Agenda for its monthly meeting on Wednesday, June 23.

Item # 9 of the following document states "Receive and consider a major event coming to The Woodlands;" --

http://www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/...gendaSEALED61710.pdf

The supporting documents for this session on Thursday, June 17 are in the following document:

http://www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/.../06.11.10Binder1.pdf

If you go to pages 107-108, you will have confirmation that Memorial Hermann approached The Woodlands Township and The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau about producing an Ironman.

I plan on being in attendance at the June 17th session.

Jon Walk
Running Columnist, Conroe (Tex.) Courier
Columnist, Runner Triathlete News
Footprints Editor, Houston Area Road Runners Association in Inside Texas Running
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you go to pages 107-108, you will have confirmation that Memorial Hermann approached The Woodlands Township and The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau about producing an Ironman.

A little cynical here, but...

So is Memorial Hermann running a little low on cash? Perhaps they figure this is an excellent way to get a boost in hospital revenue:

1) sponsor a 8-14 hour sporting event at the beginning of the Texas Hell Period
2) watch the participants drop like flies
3) take them to the nearest Memorial Hermann hospital and collect from insurance companies

I need to open up a tire store and sponsor a race on thumbtack and nail covered track!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon:

keep us posted. will be interesting to see what happens. I think a late May date is a terrible idea.
i would rather see mid-november personally. i would not like the early April date as I hate to train long during the winter.... but hey, its not my decision and I don't have to race it!
an IM in this area would be nice but I hope they give thought to the time of year.

Jana

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

A little cynical here, but...

So is Memorial Hermann running a little low on cash? Perhaps they figure this is an excellent way to get a boost in hospital revenue:

3) take them to the nearest Memorial Hermann hospital and collect from insurance companies

I need to open up a tire store and sponsor a race on thumbtack and nail covered track!

They could always make the run loop around the Memorial Hermann hospital in The Woodlands and save on ambulance costs. They could just have a bunch of stretchers waiting and just wheel us in as we drop.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [jana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jana:
No flying and a short drive for an IM. How nice would that be?
See you tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I like the way you think. Still, it's doubtful that a Memorial Day IM so close to home will keep me away. :)

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon - If you read down the meeting materials it basically says that the Marriot will be the race hotel.

Also, why are so many people bellyaching about it being hot and humid. Sure it will be but it's not like it's a crisp cool day at Kentucky, China, Wisconsin (some years), CDA (some years), and certainly not Kona. Suck it up. It's not supposed to be easy.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i actually like the heat,wind,hills,etc...but texas is hotter than kona...it'll be interesting how fast it sells out, my guess is 1 week tops..

jr
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [mr. hanky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I have not been fortunate enough to experience Kona. Maybe the Houston heat and humidity will scare everybody away. That might be my only chance to get a slot.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats what were thinking for my wife. shes in the 30-34, theres usually only 2-3 slots and she is usually 4-7...nothing is like training thru these summers, but it does make a difference in a race like kona. i actually got cold at the swim start(deep water start)

jr
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN, I did a little research on the historical temps the past five years for the Sunday before Memorial Day in The Woodlands.

5/30/2010 - High of 91, low of 71
5/24/2009 - High of 80, low of 66
5/25/2008 - High of 93, low of 78
5/27/2007 - High of 84, low of 69
5/28/2006 - High of 84, low of 77

Two of the last three, though, makes it look like a trend.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the name of the race will probably be Ironman Texas.

ironmantexas.com has been registered to WTC. ironmanwoodlands.com or ironmanthewoodlands are still free domains. A google search of ironmantexas.com shows that it was a fan site for Iron Man (the comic book character). Looks like WTC bought the domain a few months ago.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [cbuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.hcnonline.com/..._right_rail_0615.txt

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [runningmanrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good link. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha! i love it, UH (per our rivalry with them) has shirts that say "Rice girls are ugly"

-Jason
Quote | Reply
I remember reading a lot about WBGT after the Chicago Marathon fiasco in 2007 and have seen it mentioned in Houston Marathon info and a few others places. This is the index the American College of Sports Medicine uses to determine whether cancellation would be necessary due to weather.

I'm not nearly scientific enough to know for sure if this is right, but someone let me know if it sounds close....

Per the table here (http://www.bom.gov.au/...t_stress/#conversion), assuming a temperature of 90f (32c), with relative humidity of 80%, the WBGT is equivalent to 37c, which taking it back to fahrenheit, you get 98.6f (this conversion from humidity/heat in celcious to WBGT in f is where I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm doing....)

The ACSM table of WBGT levels is here, from the Austin Marathon page (under the race cancellation/alteration tab): http://www.youraustinmarathon.com/medical.

Per that table, events with WBGT over 82F are recommended to be canceled, and 73-82F should be shortened/altered.

I may be wrong in my calculations to get to what the WBGT would be for a day with 90F temps and 80% humidity, but I do not think I'm too far off.

I realize there are probably several long endurance events regularly held with the WBGT far north of the "cancellation limit" set by the ACSM, but I guess it is just a matter of how far is too far...and I guess no one will know that until they try.

The other issue is even the locals who can train in the weather will be tapering for however long during May, and that is usually when the temps skyrocket (i.e. livable at the beginning of may and awful by the end).

Prev Next