Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a long story that I'm not even going to detail at length, but my LBS (SBR) did do the right thing and got me rolling on the bike I wanted. Props to them (and thanks specifically to Steven and both Chris's).

Cant wait to get out tonight!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does it weight without the draft box?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I'll try to find out this weekend. I did pick up my B12 in one hand and the Speed Concept in the other and there was a significant difference (SC being lighter obviously) which I was super happy about.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you order this via Project 1?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SafariX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didnt. Its the WSD 9.8. The only difference is the seat (which my LBS swapped for me) and, correct me if I'm wrong, the womens colors are only offered up to size medium which is what I needed. The geo is all the same. This is what Carl has echoed in another thread as well as whats listed on the site.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I weighed my 9.9 (medium) in the stock setup (aeolus 6.5 wheels/SRAM red), including the draft box (empty) and my 2007-model dura-ace pedals - 19lbs.

My 2010 Madone 5.1 with zipp 606 wheels weighs in at 17.5lbs.

This is on a bathroom scale that displays in increments of .5lbs. No idea how accurate it is.
Last edited by: need4speed: Jun 10, 10 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [need4speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. 19 lbs? I would have guessed at least a pound or two lighter even with the draft box. Mine is clearly going to be heavier then that (Force and S60s) but as mentioned, its still noticeably lighter then my B12.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course my scale may not be very accurate, but it is probably true that with similar wheels and pedals, the medium 9.9 SC is 1-1.5lbs heavier than a 2010 Madone 5.1 (size 56).

It's really not surprising, the tubes on the SC are big and wide. Take a look at those chainstays and the bottom bracket area. Plus you have the bayonet-style fork with external steerer and of course aerobars and extensions, plus separate brake lever and shifter mechanisms rather than integrated ones. Most tri/TT bikes are heavier than similar road bikes. I think my old Felt B2 pro was slightly heavier, maybe 19.5-20lbs with wheels and pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I guess it comes down to how much of that advantage is attributable to the bars

Indeed, it does - and based on other, independent wind tunnel data, it appears to me that the use of a non-UCI legal bar on the Speed Concept OCLV could account for its lower drag relative to the P4 at all yaw angles.

Indeed, even if you just rely on Trek's data (for the Speed Concept TCT) the Speed Concept OCLV version appears that it would be faster than the P4 only when the average yaw angle is >15 deg if both were fitted with UCI-legal handlebars.

There's independent data which shows a non-compliant vs compliant bar (variant of the first or otherwise) drag differential on the order of 125-175g out at 10-15deg yaw? That's Huge. Where do I look for the details on that testing?

1) I said based on other, independent wind tunnel data.

2) I didn't say publically available.

3) I stand by my conclusions (specifically as they are written).

#2 establishes the proper context for your comments all by itself. Thank you.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WSD colorways for 9-series bikes are available thru size M via regular stock order system. They're available in L & XL via P1.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the color combo I wanted! I was told it wasn't available so I went for black instead. We didn't think to check the WSD availability.

Bike has arrived but they're waiting for some Di2 wiring stuff to do the build. Can't wait!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sharkGu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkGu, was yours ordered via P1? Im trying to guess how long my order will take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didnt really think of it either at first but glad I did. Its actually a great idea on treks part. Its an easy way for them to offer multiple "stock" color schemes. Whether that was the intention or not, I dont know but I'm thankful they did. Otherwise I'd be waiting god knows how long before a P1 in the same color came in.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SafariX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I just told my dealer what I wanted and he told me what he could get. They're doing the Di2 build at the shop, it didn't come from Trek that way. So either he got a frameset only, or got a basic bike with another gruppo and is swapping it out for me. I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone has a Large SC with 50/10 stem, can you please, please, please post a pic?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all you Boston-area residents, Belmont Wheelworks just finished building up it's first Speed Concept 9.8. It is absolutely killer!

Can't wait to get mine later this year!

-Jared
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anybody decide where they're mounting their computer? i get my SC back from the shop tomorrow (had new aerobar extensions put on) and haven't figured out where to mount my 305 yet. i really dont want to mount a bracket to the aerobar and want to keep it clean-looking.

On monday Tyler Pilger from Trek is coming into my LBS (wheelandsprocket brookfield) to talk about the bike in detail. Looking forward to it.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jbird2131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having the same issue. I think I'm going to opt for industrial strength Velcro and put it right on the stem. Thoughts?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funny you say that, thats what i was thinking. looking at the first pic in the SC unveiling gallery http://www.slowtwitch.com/...os/Detailed/118.html
it almost looks elevated and mounted onto the armpads.

and it the 3rd picture of the kswiss retul gallery, you can see dibens has her computer (node i think) mounted in a similar spot, but maybe directly on the basebar. http://www.slowtwitch.com/...os/Detailed/120.html

i know there's a big allen key on the basebar, but i dont know how to mount anything to it. the mechanic at my LBS said he would look into it.

the concept of the industrial velcro is great, but bombing down a hill at <30 mph would be the true test. could be an expensive experiment, ha

carl mentioned earlier that they had some athletes experimenting so im sure he will share their input.

ill see what the guys come up with when i pick it up. let me know if you see anything else out there!

Toro Performance
Last edited by: jbird2131: Jun 10, 10 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JGell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does that mean you are selling your P4?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are people selling/buying speed concept 7 series yet?
i mean are they in the stores yet?
i'm in the northeast, and would really like to get one!
my local trek dealer didn't have any.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [psoasminor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7-series bikes are scheduled for late summer deliveries to dealers right now.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [DClarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does that mean you are selling your P4?

The plan is to unload my P4...get a Speed Concept 9 series with Shimano DI2.

After spending some quality with a 9.8 yesterday, I can't wait to actually ride the new design. Trek did an unbelievable job on the new tri bike...best I have seen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I guess it comes down to how much of that advantage is attributable to the bars

Indeed, it does - and based on other, independent wind tunnel data, it appears to me that the use of a non-UCI legal bar on the Speed Concept OCLV could account for its lower drag relative to the P4 at all yaw angles.

Indeed, even if you just rely on Trek's data (for the Speed Concept TCT) the Speed Concept OCLV version appears that it would be faster than the P4 only when the average yaw angle is >15 deg if both were fitted with UCI-legal handlebars.

There's independent data which shows a non-compliant vs compliant bar (variant of the first or otherwise) drag differential on the order of 125-175g out at 10-15deg yaw? That's Huge. Where do I look for the details on that testing?

1) I said based on other, independent wind tunnel data.

2) I didn't say publically available.

3) I stand by my conclusions (specifically as they are written).

#2 establishes the proper context for your comments all by itself. Thank you.

Actually, I think that #s 1 and 3 are contextually far more important.

Be that as it may, here are some publically-available manufacturer's data (also from the LSWT in San Diego) reporting a ~200 g reduction in drag with the 3T Ventus bar:

http://www.thenew3t.com/...ogy&i=WindTunnel

They don't indicate what bar the Ventus was compared against, but as I have previously indicated, other, independent-but-not-publically-available data demonstrate that it is quite fast. Based on such data, I would expect the non-UCI legal bar that was used when testing the OCLV SC (in its final form) explains much of the difference in drag that was observed compared to the other bikes that were tested with UCI legal bars.

EDIT: Some independent, publically available confirmation of the fact that non-UCI legal bars such as the Ventus can make a big difference (see para. 3):

http://www.cyclingtechblog.com/...hn-cobb-at-texas-am/
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 11, 10 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must say, those are two extremely weak references. You're criticizing Trek's protocols and yet you cite manufacturer data in which "They don't indicate what bar the Ventus was compared against". In my book, that means those numbers are useless.

The Cobb reference as well doesn't hold water. "They also tested my 2009 Cervelo P4 alone and said it was measurably faster than the three Cervelo P4s they tested earlier in the week. They attributed it to my soon-to-be-illegal 3T Ventus LTD bars, and my Zipp VumaChrono cranks, and my one-of-a-kind center pull brake. The bike is also fairly small at 54 cm." So we have at least two other confounding factors that are possible sources of improvement, and have no way of knowing how much each factor could contribute.
Quote Reply

Prev Next