Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

One last question. You said that the medium ships with the 60/45 stem assembly. Should my dealer have the additional stem sizes on hand or will these have to be ordered? If ordered, do you know what the lead time is on them? I'd hate to not be able to ride the new rig cause I'm waiting on the stem assembly.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If based on the discourse here you're quite confident in your need for the 100x45 then it's a conversation you should have with your dealer...lead time info is something I don't have insight into or control over. Just ask "my" SC testride crew about my prognostication abilities Crazy

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carl, in the fit chart does the 100/10 suggest 100mm horizontal length and 10mm rise?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [studodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest reading through this thread. There has already been quite a lengthy discussion surrounding this.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"suggest" is definitely the right word. If you look back a couple pages in this thread you'll find an interesting discussion on how the numerical designations for the stems are probably more confusing than they need to be.

Happily, in the "low" stems (50x10, 100x10), the names actually ring almost completely true. Why do I say almost? Because the SC bar & stem system is unlike any we've put out before. The SC bar-center is a theoretical point, based on where the clamp section of a standard (Bontrager RXL) basebar would end up if the pursuit positions were held constant.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you, I've 'caught' up now.

other than paint job and carbon (OCLV2 vs 1) is there any difference between the 9.5 , 9.8 and 9.9?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the bike level, component spec, of course ;-)

Frame only: no difference besides color. They're all OCLV2. Similarly, all the 7-series frames share the same TCT level of carbon technology.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sooner or later, Carl, people are going to embrace the sizing scheme of stack-reach to the pads. The SC is the simplest bike to size, ever. Ignore the stem numbers, people! They might as well be called stems A, B, C, D, E, and F. Just measure to your pads, and find your spot on the chart.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spoke with the guys at the LBS and they keep referring to the stem size as a 66/45. I asked what that meant since none of the literature on the trek site mentions anything about that size and they said it was equivalent to a 100/45. I actually picked up a P1 that the shop had preordered and they said this is the size that comes on it (they said they could specify what stem size they wanted through P1...is that true?). If the size they are referring to as 66/45 is truly the 100/45 then that's perfect, but they said that they are unable to order any other stem size assemblies at this time? How can that be true?

Also, long story, but I'll be swapping the ultegra that comes on the bike for SRAM force. It is my understanding that I need a bearing spacer kit essentially, correct? The same one that is used on the madones for the use of a SRAM crankset, right? Would that just be the parts kit that is listed in the service manual?

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Jun 3, 10 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd bet they're talking about the 60/45, especially since that's what Carl said is shipping stock on the bikes. If you saw it in person, you'll be able to tell immediately. The 60/45 stem looks like this:

And the 100/45 looks like this:

The other stems have roughly the same fore-aft difference. Their only visual difference is height. The 10-rise stems are shorter; they go straight out horizontally, flush with the top of the rubber cable cover. The 75-rise stems look like the 45's, except that they are taller. That'll tell you which stem you're looking at. Carl, anything I'm missing?

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JudgeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They said they can specify stem length when ordering a project one and said specifically that this "66/45" is the equivalent of the 100/45 on the chart. It also concerns me that if it's not, how are they unable to order from trek the different stem assembly sizes?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MHG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl
I have a speed concept 7.0 ordered had to have the black and wanted to transfer my sram red parts over. Since it already comes with sram apex will I be able to just swap out the cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked through the dealer section of Dexter (their online ordering site) and found no reference to a 66/45, so I'm assuming they mean 60/45. It is not equivalent to the 100/45. On the fit chart it does appear side by side with the 100/45 which may give the impression of equivalence, but when pad reach is selected per our chart guidance you (or the dealer) will either be in one box or the other. They are indeed capable of specifying stems through P1, but I'm not aware of any block to ordering any given stem separately to deal with fit issues...perhaps a temporary thing related to availability, certainly not a long-term condition. And yes, for the crank swap you should only need the bearing kit listed in the service manual.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [scottusmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stock Apex cranks are compact 50-34 and on the GXP BB standard. If your Reds match up on both counts it should be a direct drop-in.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is massively frustrating. I know exactly what I need but when I talk to them about it's like they have no idea what I'm talking about. My bike is in and I know I need the 100/45 but not only do they not know what I'm talking about ( a dealer with one if the largest orders of SCs) but say they can't order it?

Do you happen to have the exact part number for the 100/45 assembly?

Thanks for the help Carl!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Incredibly impressive responsiveness and patience in this thread. I'm quite proud to say I've only ridden Trek.

I've also been a very dedicated student of triathlon bike development throughout the last 7 years (just ask my wife...) and am extremely excited about the Speed Concept series. Just exceptional.

My question is- does the 2 series share the identical KVF shape within the aluminum tubing?

Thank you very much for the reply.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TriSRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

The 2-series does share the KVF shaping to the greatest extent possible. Some of the more "organic" curves and transitions between tubes (found in places like the headtube on the 7-series, for example) aren't replicated due to forming challenges, but otherwise they're there.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taking this one to PM-land...

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. I'll wait for a reply. Thanks Carl.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JudgeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Nice bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Question for UCI guys. I have an old Trek Team TT Size Medium 54cm top tube. My saddle height is 73cm Center BB-Top Saddle, saddle is 5cm behind BB and I have a 8cm -30 degree stem no spacers. The Tri steep seat tube really means nothing to us due to having to have the saddle 5cm back of BB. What size SC would I need? Do I specify when ordering I want the stem stub adapter? I have not seen frameset prices?

Thanks for your time!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [eki1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Forgot something. The seatpost head can be turned around to get setback. What is the seatube angle with setback post head?

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [eki1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steerstub comes with the bike on 9-series.

With the longer offset (35mm) head mounted rearwards, nominal STA through the rails clamp at normal saddle heights is around 75deg. Mounting the saddle further back on the rails gets you closer to 73-74deg. Note Ian's UCI-legal setup with his saddle slammed all the way back here.

As for your size question, need a little more fit info. Your current pad stack and reach can be plugged into the 9-series fit chart to get you in the ballpark, as described here.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Played with a speedconcept at SBR in NYC yesterday, and it is a damn fine looking bike. My favorite detail is the integrated front brake. Can't say how it stops, but it is sexy. I can't say enough about how clean this bike looks in every single detail. Makes almost anything else look cobbled together.

Jealous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if Trek has any demo bikes they will be giving to any of their dealers?
Quote Reply

Prev Next