Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious if there is any difference between the carbon or layups between the 7 series TCT carbon bikes? Also, how does the ride quality, stiffness, etc. compare between the TCT and the 9 series OCLV2 Red Carbon? Is the difference primarily bike wieght, or is the ride quality affected? FWIW I'm about 170 lbs +/- depending on the season. Thanks.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No difference in carbon within 7-series TCT frames, likewise within the 9-series OCLV frames. The 7's are slightly stiffer in the lab, also heavier, but frame geometry is shared across all series.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

does the bottom bracket cover come with the mount pieces for the Di2 battery or does it have to be ordered? I ordered a frame but the nobody knows any details!
Did you guys weigh a frame or complete bike in L?

Thanks a lot,

Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just wondering if anyone knows why there are not any speed concept bikes with the lower level OCLV carbon layups. If I compare the lineup to the Madones, the SC 9 series seems to match up to a Madone 6 series. The SC 7 series seems to match up to a Madone 4 Series with the TCT carbon. I was hoping for some middle ground with a SC that lined up with the Madone 5 series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

The 7-Series, is it a press fit BB bearing or a GXP style?

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Alexn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Di2 installations take the same battery mount hardware as that used on the new Madone, plus a special rear brake cover...all of which will be available through your dealer.

Our weights policy is included in the Q&A section for each bike on the Trek website. I've no doubt the various media who are doing in-depth reviews of the bike will publish the actuals on the bikes they have in hand.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ausimity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the first year of an entirely new line we think we've got it bracketed pretty well. There's always room to grow with market demand!

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GOOD to hear from you.

Press-in, taking same bearings as the BB90 setups.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the stock Speed Concept handlebars are not compliant with UCI regs. Is this true? Is Trek planning to market handlebars that are? Are there other solutions to putting UCI compliant handlebars on a Speed Concept? Thanks for any information from the experts around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your dealer will probably know long before I do.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rvh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stock bars on the OCLV bikes are not UCI-compliant. The steer-stub adapter which comes with the bike mounts in place of the proprietary stem and allows you to run whatever bar & stem system you wish on the 1-1/8" (28.6mm) stem clamp standard. Same as what The Shack has been using this year and Trek-K-Swiss as well (until the launch anyway...upgrade-city!).

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick answer. Now a few more questions:

How much height adjustability is there with the stub? Does it work like a normal steerer tube with spacers?

My wife currently rides a Small TTX and according to the chart she should fit a small Speed Concept well. Her current pad reach is 45.5 and her pad stack is 59.

On her TTX she has a 12cm, 84 degree stem with no spacers and a USE Tula Aerobar. Any idea of whether I will be able to get that stem into a comparable position on the small Speed Concept?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from my LBS. They are going to talk to "Homer" @ Trek about when they can get a 9.9 with black, white, gray, red scheme. Im not sure of any shop in the area (SE WI) that has ordered one. They said they'll let me know Tuesday and I can place my order when they can give me an exact date of delivery. Looking forward to the build. Thanks for you input on sizing Carl. I plan on bringing my QR to the LBS and have them look at my coordinates.

update:
BAM! found one! going to put throw down for my down payment and should be at the store next week

Toro Performance
Last edited by: jbird2131: May 28, 10 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Just wanted to clarify exactly which SC's we have available at the store! The links contain specs for the bikes mentioned.

Speed Concept 9.8 Black in Small and Large
http://twitpic.com/1rjyqk

Speed Concept 9.5 Blue in Medium
http://twitpic.com/1rk7qy

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rvh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The quick answer is yes, she can get to the same point using the steer-stub. In your case, add 5mm of spacers under the stem, and you need to find 5mm more reach somewhere in the stem or pads (i.e. a 125mm stem, or whatever adjustment is available to you @the pads to the tune of +5mm).

That's getting to be a pretty long stem, though. The fit chart for the 9-series bikes is based on what combination of SC RXL stem (and inherent pad stack in the SC bar) and frame size puts your pads in a nicely balanced place with respect to the steering axis. The relatively low profile of those TULA bars is what's driving your pad stack so low and into the small frame.

If you know she's going only ever going to be on the steer-stub for UCI reasons, I might approach the sizing a different way. A medium SC frame with a steer stub, 5mm of spacers, and a 73deg (or -17deg if you prefer) 105-110mm stem (the actual # is 107.5) also puts the bar center in the same point in space as on her small TTX with your stated stem setup while reducing the tiller effect too. If she later wanted to go non-UCI, a 100x10 stem with zero spacer stack will get her there on the medium, but with no room to move any lower.

It's something to consider, that's all. If she's happy on the 120 on the TTX, then a 125 on the small SC isn't really going to be that different.

Carl

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: May 28, 10 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does that mean you have to run a regular stem on the adaptor? That is kinda ghetto-
How about some UCI legal bars like the ones on some of the Radioshack (or Julie Dibens) bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Stock bars on the OCLV bikes are not UCI-compliant.

So how much do those Ventus-like illegal bars contribute to the Speed Concept's low drag in the wind tunnel?

Also, were the wind tunnel measurements made with or w/o the Draft Box in place? If with, what does the drag-vs.-yaw angle relationship look like w/o it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bars currently used by The Shack and several of the Trek/K-Swiss athletes are a team issue product at this time.

Not sure what else you'd run on the adapter...it's purpose is to allow regular stems.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My due date is 12th July. Sadly too late for my A- race (Bergen long distance) but should be fine for my A+ Norseman Xtreme long distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
I currently have a TTX with full SRAM Red. Standard 130mm BCD cranks with the SRAM Red ceramic bottom bracket. What do I need to make my current cranks work with the Speed Concept?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that triathletes are your focus and 99% of your buyers- But you guys need to make a reasonable UCI legal solution available (a better solution than the stem adaptor)- just make some up with a 3-1 basebar on there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea on the availability date and weight of the 2 series? The 2 series is by far the most impressive alu bike Ive ever seen, and might be the best option for a 200+lb rider.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SafariX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS ordered mine a few days ago and it shipped from Trek in WI on Wed or Thurs. He expects it within 10 days of the ship date.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sharkGu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My LBS ordered mine a few days ago and it shipped from Trek in WI on Wed or Thurs. He expects it within 10 days of the ship date.

What model did you order? Did you customize it at all via project one? What was the initial lead time quoted to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl

First, thanks for taking the time to post here and help us all out.

I have a 9.9 on order through SBR.

My current fit measurements on my P3C (56cm) are:

Base bar reach: 650mm
Base bar stack: 596mm
Arm pad reach: 510mm
Arm pad stack: 620mm
Saddle height: 782mm
Saddle in front of bb: 11mm

I absolutely appreciate the importance of a bit fit in person and the difficulty of advising merely on the basis of a bunch of numbers. But, that caveat aside, what I'm looking at is a Large frame with a 100/10 stem, the 335mm seatpost and the 35mm offset seatpost head. I expect to spend the vast majority of time on this bike in the aero position. Based on my measurements, would you disagree with any of those specs?

Thanks again.
Dave
Quote Reply

Prev Next