Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [cbuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly the "101' event swim was to happen in a canal near the Woodlands Mall. I cannot imagine having ~2000 people swimming in that even with a individual start as opposed to the mass start that WTC prefers.

There is lake near by:

but I am not really familiar with it. Isn't it very shallow?

There is also Lake Conroe about 15 minutes North where the Ironstar triathlon held.

-

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think maybe it would be more of the fact they'd have to move their race...at least possibly.

If Lonestar gets the first weekend of April and this IM is presumably the end of April/First of May, then where would Gateway go?

I don't think they are the race directors either, but all of this is just speculation at this point!

Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the last half mile or so will be swum in the canal. The rest of the swim will be out in the lake. The canal is plenty deep. It will NOT be at Lake Conroe.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That would be a surprise if they were the RD's. They did a pretty good job with the Kemah race but they are relatively new at the whole RD thing. I don't see Ironman giving it to someone so new to the game.

First, super excited if this rumor turns out to be true.

Second, no way that Onurleft would be the RD. They are just too new and too small to handle something on the magnitude of an official IM race. This isn't a knock against them as they have done a great job putting on the two tri events they have done (I think they have only done Bridgeland 2009 and Gateway 2010 so far). I would think that IM would want a more experienced RD putting on the race, especially a brand new race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Montgomery county has plenty of "hills" for me.

Kathleen amen to the above.
The Ironstar course is plenty enough.
Will be fun to see how this rumor mill grinds out .

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word of an announcement this weekend at Texas 70.3?

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any word of an announcement this weekend at Texas 70.3?

Rumors I have heard:

- Memorial Hermann will be sponsoring the new Ironman race
- Memorial Hermann recently entered into a partnership with the Woodlands Township (not a rumor but fact)
- It will be either announced at this weekend's 70.3 or May 1st at the CB&I (sprint race hosted by the Woodlands Township with sponsorship $ from Memorial Hermann).

I think announcing it at the 70.3 this weekend makes the most sense. Bigger crowd, IM and Memorial Hermann branded event, etc. The Woodlands likes to do things their own way as well so it could be May 1.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It will be either announced at this weekend's 70.3 or May 1st at the CB&I (sprint race hosted by the Woodlands Township with sponsorship $ from Memorial Hermann).

Nope. Mid-May.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [WoodlandsTXTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well since it wasnt announced @ the 70.3 this weekend ---Im guessing we'll hear @ CB&I. My question is how do they typically handle entry into an inagural event ? Get in line...or online ? I will tell you that a Mid May IM could be a scorcher ! Regardless of the date I am pumped ...20mins to the start to my casa !
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [cash26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
past few years any brand new IM has not sold out for months
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [cbuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any new news? (after St George)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any more news of when we could get an announcement?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you getting around the political nightmare caused by the local municipalities' opposition to holding a major race in this venue, which, in part, doomed the 101 series?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How are you getting around the political nightmare caused by the local municipalities' opposition to holding a major race in this venue, which, in part, doomed the 101 series?

I would assume $$$ eases a lot of problems and trepidations.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apart from the fact the Lake Conroe area has only one large (and expensive) hotel, I would much rather see an IM event run on two loops of the Ironstar course. That course would be pretty interesting in May.

But then they couldn't use the Ironman Woody moniker. Instant classic.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I would assume $$$ eases a lot of problems and trepidations.

It did not work a couple years ago, depite quite a bit of money being thrown at it. My aunt and uncle live in The Woodlands and tried to advocate for the 101 race. They said it was an insane nightmare working with the local municipalities. I am just curious about what has changed in the last 2 years.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WoodlandsTXTri ---- soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard any more news on the Ironman Woodlands announcement? Some were saying it may happen this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [shaymike2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the rumor that won't die. I've seen claims elsewhere that an announcement will come on Sunday.

Of course, there were rumors that there was going to be an announcement 3 weeks ago, as well.

I'll probably do it if it happens, but an IM in May could easily see high temps of 90 degrees. Historical daily high for mid-May is 86-87 with records of 95-96.
Last edited by: dgunthert: May 14, 10 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 years ago the Woodlands was governed by the many HOA's. This year the Woodlands formed a central Township government and elected their first officials in preparation for full incorporation in 2012. The difference is huge. Rather than dealing with dozens of personalities, open palms and attitudes the organizers are dealing with one or two people who are actually in charge. Also the organizers have the ear and support of some very high ranking and influential members of the new township who happen to run and bike a little. The county commissioner (avid cyclist and advocate) is on board. There are problems as there always will be, but none that can't be overcome with $$$ and lots of it, which is something that Memorial Herman and Mdot have in spades but 101 did not. I'm not saying it's a definite thing, but it's certainly not an impossibility.

And for everyone who thinks it'll be a flat ride, go ahead and keep thinking that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any news on IM Woodlands? This is starting to feel like watching Gilligan's Island.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So...how hilly Hookem (horns)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who cares? the woodlands is 100% flat, boring pre planned suburbs.

might as well do an ironman on a treadmill and a trainer. will have more soul.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jack ...you forget, humidity builds character ! You might find more hills than you think ...the course (allegely) routes out of the woodlands into what we flatlanders call hills!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Course has been approved by TXDot. It includes two railroad crossings so that should give locals an idea of the bike route.

Apparently the one remaining issues is the proposed race hotel. Seems like the Woodlands Marriott Woodlands is booked full each weekend for large scale events.

Latest word is that the announcement has been pushed to June (not sure yet when in June). Everyone is still onboard with the case so alternate dates are being considered.
Quote Reply

Prev Next