Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [WoodlandsTXTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could have the bike finish in Houston and have 2500 triathletes run around Rice in circle. That way, it would be just like any other day around Rice (except that for once everyone would go in the same direction).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [cbuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drove through the Woodlands once. If this goes forward, I think they may have found a an IM tri venue that is flatter than IMFL!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 west or north and there some nice rollers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike course can only go maybe 20 or so miles inside the woodlands out and back 10 and 10, once you get out towards montgomery, richards or anderson it is rolling terrain, not bad but you will definetly feel some of those hills. There is a half iron distance race called Ironstar that takes place on Montgomery I have done that one and the bike course is rolling maybe 10 min slower than the Lonestar half as far as bike time. Ive heard some people saying that it might be even hillier than Longhron.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't the Galveston LoneStar IronMan in April? Seems strange to me that they would have a Woodlands Ironman so close in time and geographical distance to another long distance event.

"The solution is to just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else mentioned only about the first 10-12 and last 10-12 miles will be in The Woodlands. The rest will be out in Montgomery and Grimes County with rolling terrain. Nothing leg shattering but should be enough to keep things somewhat honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Fraussie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Could have the bike finish in Houston and have 2500 triathletes run around Rice in circle. That way, it would be just like any other day around Rice (except that for once everyone would go in the same direction).

Well there is some nice eye candy running around the campus!!!

-

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Well there is some nice eye candy running around the campus!!!

-

you must not have seen rice guys/girls...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [WoodlandsTXTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Husband and wife get back to back lottery spots?

Yep, and they've been repeatedly assured that it was completely random. He was just as likely to have gotten another slot this year as she was or anyone else.

While she only found out about it yesterday Ironman contacted him a few weeks ago in order to setup the logistics of the surprise announcement. He was very curious about the back to back issue. They way its been explained to him is that another firm is simply given a list of all of the lottery entrants. The list does not contain anything other than names (no states, interesting stories, etc.). Once the drawing takes place and the names are sent back to Ironman they then cull through the applications looking for interesting stories. It was at this point that Ironman picked up on the back to back issue and decided to contact him about setting up yesterdays events.

its as random as all the NBC executives getting Kona spots without qualifying and without even being in the lottery.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two different pools of athletes. No one has ever suggested that the NBC or other sponsor slots are random. As has been pointed out repeatedly in other threads there are multiple ways of getting to Kona.

1. Qualifying slot
2. eBay auction slot
3. Lottery slot
4. Sponsor slot

I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [excelmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you must not have seen rice guys/girls...

Agreed. Went on a recruiting trip down there in 2000... nothing remotely head-turning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually it wouldnt be flat here at all(the woodlands) rolling hills north/northwest from here. if they did it, would be very much like ironman louisville. i would hope it wouldnt be in may, it could get really hot,especially for people from colder climates...would be nice to rolll out of bed and do it...would def fill up fast with houston, dallas,san ant, and austin pretty close.

jethro
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone have insight on March or May?
What about April?
(I like May)

I like March or April. May conflicts with grad school...at least in 2011.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [off242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please heed this warning....A MAY IM WILL BE A DEATH MARCH IN SOUTH TEXAS ..... Mar/April is ideal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had heard they are going to make an announcement at the CBI tri this year. I've heard April/May - who knows for sure though. If they do wait until CBI to announce (May 1), I think that is a little crappy, assuming IM St George registration opens on May 2 for 2011. I guess its just personal opinion, but I think people need a little more advance warning - or should get to know their options before slapping down nearly $600 for a race a year away.

Maybe they will announce at Lonestar instead.

I've heard from 2-3 different "sources" as well, so we'll see what actually happens in the next few weeks.

Lonestar goes back to the first weekend in April next year (2nd-3rd), and Easter is late (the 24th), so maybe they are aiming for the 3rd weekend? Who knows - maybe I'm kidding myself hoping they don't consider putting it in May. I guess the good thing is the bike course and run course (assuming they are anywhere in that area) should be fairly shaded.

Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KW
After hearing about the IM St George course from Trent S. who previewed the course, afraid this flatlander will never darken the course. IF IM Woody happens it is going to be some fun in Houston for sure.
Wonder how that would effect Lone Star attendance however?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [C5Torch6sp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about Lonestar - would be great if they had the aquabike - IMAZ was 2 weeks after Lonestar in '08 and several of us used the aquabike as our last long-ish workout and it worked out great. I think with mdot coming in that the aquabike is no longer though (not 100% sure on that one though).

It only took one look at the St. George profile to see the 30 mile climb on the bike you do twice to know I'd never do it, but I'm talking about the rest of the US, who aren't quite as hill-challenged as we are in Houston! Montgomery county has plenty of "hills" for me.

Quote | Reply
if past history holds true - once a new race opens it does not fill for months
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pure speculation but the folks that organized Gateway to the Bay (Alcatraz qualifier) in Kemah, TX last weekend have said recently "ONE HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR 2011 THAT WE WILL ANNOUNCE SEPARATELY SOON! STAY TUNED!"

Could this be the Ironman announcement?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgive me for asking, but as a west coast guy I am not familiar with "The Woodlands". Is that suburb of Houston (and what is with "The" in front of the town name)? I thought air quality and traffic were sketchy there?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its on the far northern end of Houston metro. A bit of an high tech burb from what i have seen. Lots of trees , hence the name.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a large, masterplanned community north of Houston on 45:
http://www.thewoodlands.com/

Just north of there, you get into the Sam Houston national forest, and I'd consider The Woodlands pretty clean, and pretty different from Houston proper.

I do think it would be a great place for an event like this - spectators certainly wouldn't be bored during the day, and there are plenty of activities for everyone before/during/after the race.

There is a huge outdoor concert venue - The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion, a mall, the newer Market Street shopping/eating area, many hotels, and some great multi-use pathways.

Last edited by: KWTriGrl: Apr 15, 10 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be a surprise if they were the RD's. They did a pretty good job with the Kemah race but they are relatively new at the whole RD thing. I don't see Ironman giving it to someone so new to the game.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an innerlooper, Kathleen did a pretty good job describing my home.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be that its in reference to Herman Memorial being the named sponsor. There name was on the Kemah race and the Texas 70.3 and seems to be getting linked to this IM?

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next