Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How bout the days before clipless pedals.. toe straps and you nailed in the cleats to leather soles.

Bud Light biathlon T circa 1991

Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<<Another question for everyone: What was your first tri?>>>

Coors Half Ironman in Olympia Wa. Sep. 1980

Freezing cold lake (no wetsuit), pouring rain on the bike (rode a Schwinn Paramount), nearly died of Hypothermia. Run was point to point to the Capitol of Wa. state. 3rd overall.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) The Avocet computer
2) Mavic Retrofriciton shift levers
2) Vitus aluminum & carbon frames being totally cutting edge (including Sean Kelly winning P-R on the noodly aluminum one)

Cyclist turned multisport enthusiast. Human performance technologist and digital health expert in my day job.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/karletzel/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/karletzel
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Racing on a road bike,
Toe Clips
Nike Air Mirhas (best racing flat ever).
Looking up to the Californians on Team J David
eating figs in a race
Peanut butter and honey sandwiches in the hot Kona sun.
Eating cold macaroni at 4 am on race days
complete changes in transitions
No wetsuits
No Powerbars, or fancy gels.
Forte Tri suits. Had a custom one made for Hawaii. I believe this was bought out by Emil Desoto.
Doing 10 mile runs at 5 am with Gordon Haller.
The Puntous Twins, Joanne Earnst, Harold Robinson, Chris Hinshaw, Monty and the great Erin Baker.
Having every Triathlete magazine ever published.
Remembering Dave Scott on the cover of the Triathlon Magazine.
Doing a race in 1987 when Lance was only 16
Nobody running and getting an ironman tattoo moments after finishing a race.
The Cape Cod Endurance Triathlon.
Julie Moss's famous crawl and the original winner Gordon Haller going by her with Kathleen McCartney
Knowing the names of every ironman winner.
John Dunbar's superman costume.
Holding the original trophy.

Now entering my 28th season over half of my life. Wow what a journey.

The Mariah was followed closely by the duelest. Ah, the old days.

Duelest

Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a pair of Duelist with bright green trim...damn those were light, but didn't last long.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- When you could ride your bike in the transition area.
- Raleigh Scott Tinley Technium Tri-Lite bikes.
- Penrod's Triathlon in Ft. Lauderdale.
- When you got DQ'd for drafting.
- Race photos were mailed to you and were tiny 1" photos.
- Team Fox Catcher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sally Edwards triathlon training book written in the early '80s. It was pretty good. I used it to train for my first tri in '83 (Caesar Creek) and still have a copy.

Ardis Bow - she was included in another book written by Edwards in the '80s that featured the training schedules of Allen, Molina, Tinley, Moss, Hansen, Puntous twins, etc.

How about the Radio Shack radio that you mounted on your handlebars. I never used one in a tri, but I had one when I first started to ride my bike as "training" in '73 or '74. I ran wearing the ear-muff-like radio headphones sold by The Shack in the '70s.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 13, 10 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! I wore that shirt everywhere! Had the sweatshirt and hat too! Hey......Does anybody know anyone who came down with the chickenpox after the Bud-Light Lake George 93 race. I did and the time line put it right at Lake George where the Pre-Race stuff all took place in the elementary school. Two weeks later and I was down and out big time. I ran a PR in a 5K (With a slight fever)days before it finally came on full blast.

I stopped drinking Coors light because they pulled out! Stopped drinking Bud Light when they pulled out. I hope Sammy A doesen't sponsor a tri series and pull out =0
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [KarlEtzel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my first Ironman on my Vitus Carbone 9. What a nice ride. Too bad it didn't hold up; started having "phantom" shifting on hills and finally figured out that the seat tube came unglued from the bottom bracket allowing about 3/4" of play every time I stepped on the pedals. Too bad for me I didn't figure that out until after biking IMMOO03 .
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1981 Raymond Terrace Lions Club International distance
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [trimichael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FinHalsa Bar
Gator Bar
Exceed Bar

this shirt was a freebie that some competitors got at IM Hawaii 1994 along with a box of 12 gatorbars, since they were the energy bars available on course that year. Best tasting bars ever.
Last edited by: OC Ben: Apr 13, 10 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Gatorgum?
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x1,000,000

on the Air Mariah being the best racing flat ever.

I ran my second marathon in them, barefoot, 5 weeks after IMC and ran a 2:51.....I also set my half marathon PB that day with a 1:19.....I was going for broke or was going to blow up trying (yes, I positive split but sometimes you just give it!!!!)

I used the Air Mariah for every workout and every race for a period of around 3 years. It was a great day in day out shoe and weighed nothing!

NIKE, BRING IT BACK!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x1,000,001 on the Air Mariah. Best racing flat ever, my favorite shoe that Nike ever put out.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.....Ruth (rtk) from the old boards---good to see you Ruth!

....Leon's QEM---welcome back this year!

....the Bud Light series had the coolest shirts EVER! The black one with high crew neck and the symbols on the neck-line in white.

....the Nike tri kit that was grey, blue and red and had mesh sides.

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Off-topic, but there's talk of them (kind of) bringing it back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold a brand new pair a few years ago for $120 to a Japanese buyer. They set up a Hotel room suite as the buy site, and were looking for anything Nike. I happened to have a pair of Mariah's still fresh in the box brand new. Didn't think I'd use them so I off loaded them to these guys for what was probably about a 400% profit. Reality is they are now being worn by some guy in Japan for another 400% probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when heart rate monitor looked like this
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"When only Dave Horning and I had what you would call a tri suit"
---------------------------------------

After seeing Horning wearing his, I had one made by Emily K (a bicycle clothing maker in Santa Barbara back in the day). I think I still have that packed away somewhere. I also still have my very cool "LA Triathlon Series" mesh tank top and a lot of memories of you crushing those local races back then.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air Mariah's were awesome. No support but for a lightweight runner they were great if no pronation issues. Air Pegasus Racers were pretty awesome too but if they combined those with a seamless interior they'd have a heckuva race flat--alter the lacing system slightly to include elastic laces to adjust on the fly there you have it. I have a "less than a dozen uses" on a pair of Nike Air Ghosts sitting in a box. But kind of a sloppy fit...
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, Exceed!
I remember our swim coach bought like thirty cases of the stuff when they went out of business (meaning, of course, that the expiry had long passed on all of it), and then we'd mix it in a giant gatorade bucket and leave it poolside until it got drunk. Man, it was funky after three days!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,
I ran under 2:30 in the Miriah. Remember the original had a herring bone sole and after a few runs you had to shoe goo the soles to put extra tread to it.
Remember when the sport was pure and you raced for a beer.
All the races were long
I raced three years before I ever did a sprint and even that was .5 mile swim, 20 mile bike,5 mile run.
I actually did an ironman before I ever did a sprint tri.

Those were fun times how many people can say they were around at the beginning of a sport.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drank Exceed during swim practice in high school. LOVED that stuff.

Also, without looking through this whole damned thread, I still have a Scott Tinley Performancewear t-shirt, the one with him on the bike with a landscape, a silhouette of a photo that appeared in Triathlete's Kona coverage from 1987.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [gsxrawd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one of those!

Did not read through all the post (phew).

Remember when Chicago had two olympic distance races? One USTS and another just the Chicago Tri - about a month apart. I think this went on for several years.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [triatma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next