Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This?
Quote | Reply
I've been hearing a lot of rumors lately about an Ironman in the Woodlands, TX in 2011 but can't seem to find any substantial evidence one way or the other.

Does anyone here know anything about this they can share?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [cbuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i hope to god that its not true.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late July would be a good time of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you see or hear this? I do wish they would have longer races in the woodlands. CB and I is Great. DIdn't they used to have a 101 there? I am from Spring living in Dallas and would actually like to do an Ironman in the Woodlands but I think it would be to much for the area. Kind of a Cluster.

If you ain't first you're last. - Ricky Bobby.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [tfunk16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of people were talking about this in my running group last night and one from a pretty creditable source. Like I said earlier, they're all rumors, just didn't know if anyone could confirm this or not.

I can't imagine how they would make it happen, but it would be cool if it somehow worked. Living in Houston, this would be ideal. Maybe it's all just wishful thinking. Apparently there isn't anyone out there that's heard the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A late March/Early April Ironman in the Woodlands would be so awesome!

Fingers crossed

Jonathan L Golden Photography
http://jonathanlgolden.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the rumor from a couple of guys at the swim hosted in conjunction with the Gateway to the Bay Triathlon. While it would be nice, I don't see it happening, unless there have been policy changes in The Woodlands. The Tri101 race that was supposed to have taken place there in 2008 fell through due, allegedly, to issues with the city on road closures & such. All the same, it would be nice to have a 140.6 race so close to home.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [off242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just a rumor... everyone was thinking the big announcment for Lone star was that there would be a full IM. Not happening,,, unless it's a brand new RD going to do it.. the ones that already have races there have said many times it won't be them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.runnertriathletenews.com/...4A3FB03EBDB3358BB180

It is happening I heard they were in talks about March or May. Maybe somebody can ask Keith from Galveston 70.3 he might know better. Two different transitions. But it is still a rumor.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [guiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already sponsor of the 70.3, why would they also sponsor a full.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm suprised the ST sleuths have not checked to see if the names are registered yet?? The 101 finale was supposed to be there, I was actually looking foreward to covering it. From all I had heard about the area it sounded like a good place for a long race, provided you picked a time of year when the weather is good. NOt sure if it was the city or the lack of will and funds that cancelled that 101 race, wouldn't read too much into that situation. BEsides Ironman is a different animal altogether and they have just a bit more juice than some new race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how they're diluting the Kona slot pool! Pretty soon there will be 1750 qualifying races offering 1 slot per race.

In Reply To:
I've been hearing a lot of rumors lately about an Ironman in the Woodlands, TX in 2011 but can't seem to find any substantial evidence one way or the other.

Does anyone here know anything about this they can share?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's happening. Announcement next month. Point to point swim, single loop bike, 2 (maybe 3) loop run. Mid-May race date with slight chance of movement to March. Memorial Herman is the title sponsor. Combination of new consolidated governance structure in The Woodlands and Ironman brand recognition makes race possible where the 101 series was unable to get off the ground.

I am in no way affiliated with the organizers or The Woodlands. I just have several very credible sources that are very close to the action.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [WoodlandsTXTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading a story about a Woodlands triathlete that got a lottery into Kona. anyone know the guys name?

Quote | Reply
Quote:
I remember reading a story about a Woodlands triathlete that got a lottery into Kona. anyone know the guys name?

Actually it was a woman from The Woodlands. Announced today. THis story ran on the local news.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7384496
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pray that this is the first race they announce that will be done WITHOUT a professional field.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

Actually it was a woman from The Woodlands. Announced today. THis story ran on the local news.http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7384496[/reply[/url]]

two different stories. I'm sure it was a guy, I wanna say a soldier who's deployment timing was off perhaps but don't quote me on that, just something got in the way . yes, he hurt himself and was out of the running i think it was. sorry for the memory loss, it's been some time since I read the story so i can't place exactly what it was but i think it had to do with an inury now that i'm slowly recollecting it. he was at the time 33 years old and maybe it was last year and I wanna say his first name is Kevin.

either way, cool for the girl.

Quote | Reply
Sorry but there will be a pro field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry but there will be a pro field.

pro is just a word.

Quote | Reply
Marky, agreed on that. And it would be nice if they consolidated age grouper Kona slots to three North America races per year (they could rotate the three), so that the slot pool does not get thinned out (ex above was 1750 races each with 1 Kona slot) :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should blog (xtri) about that. Both pro and AG

you must be in China or on the west coast. it's 1a in Ottawa.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

Actually it was a woman from The Woodlands. Announced today. THis story ran on the local news.http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7384496[/reply[/url]]

Husband and wife get back to back lottery spots?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the 20? slots they have will be from reduced Pro ranks from the new qualifying standards?

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [rexcoltrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Husband and wife get back to back lottery spots?

Yep, and they've been repeatedly assured that it was completely random. He was just as likely to have gotten another slot this year as she was or anyone else.

While she only found out about it yesterday Ironman contacted him a few weeks ago in order to setup the logistics of the surprise announcement. He was very curious about the back to back issue. They way its been explained to him is that another firm is simply given a list of all of the lottery entrants. The list does not contain anything other than names (no states, interesting stories, etc.). Once the drawing takes place and the names are sent back to Ironman they then cull through the applications looking for interesting stories. It was at this point that Ironman picked up on the back to back issue and decided to contact him about setting up yesterdays events.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Woodlands? Any Truth to This? [aarondavidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have insight on March or May?
What about April?
(I like May)
Quote Reply

Prev Next