Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dehydration at night?
Quote | Reply

I religiously stay hydrated during the day to prevent the known inhibiting consequences of being dehydrated. I consume approximately a gallon of water during the day, but my water intake level varies depending on weather and amount of training. I’ve started to become dehydrated at night and sometime wake up with a headache. Is this a natural process since I do not consume water while sleeping?

http://flexthatframe.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [reventon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that this answers your question, but I always have a glass of water on my nightstand. B/t drinking right before bed, once or twice while waking up to go use the bathroom and then first thing in the morning, I prob drink 12oz of water. I'm not one to get headaches, but I certainly feel better drinking the water.

-Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHat would suggest to you that your night headaches are caused by dehydration?

Quote | Reply
Unless you are deficient in Antidiuretic Hormone, this is not possible.
Agree with 'last tri in 83', what makes you think this is why you have a headache?
You shouldn't need a gallon of water per day, except when you do a big workout in hot weather.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
WHat would suggest to you that your night headaches are caused by dehydration?

x2. There many reasons that people wake up with headaches. Sleep posture, carbon monoxide, sleep apnea, teeth grinding...
Last edited by: Skippy: Apr 5, 10 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [Skippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinuses...

Re: Dehydration at night? [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not that this answers your question, but I always have a glass of water on my nightstand.

x2

I don't get a headache, but I have trouble sleeping when I get dehydrated.

I keep a big jug of water next to my bed. I try to remember to drink from it before going to bed, and if I ever wake up in the middle of the night, I just drink a bunch of water, and head right back to sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just man up and run an IV into your veins to hydrate while you sleep.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not drink more water during the day? I drink ~ 100 oz per day. My routine is to grab and drink a 1 litre bottle in the morning, refill and drink at lunch, and refill and drink for the drive home. Add a couple of cups of coffee and a few beers and I'm sure I'm hydrated and usually have to get up at least twice a night to pee.
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just man up and run an IV into your veins to hydrate while you sleep.

Just man up and use an IO, way faster than an IV

2010: IMSG 2011: IMSG May 7
Goal: Smaller boat Bigger motor
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Add a couple of cups of coffee and a few beers and I'm sure I'm hydrated and usually have to get up at least twice a night to pee.

Yea, especially since alcohol and caffeine are diuretics!

To the OP, I went through this years ago and it turned out to be grinding of the teeth. I wore a mouth piece, but then switched careers and no more grinding of the teeth.
Last edited by: wiffcheese: Apr 6, 10 5:01
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [wiffcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but then switched careers and no more grinding of the teeth.

There's a joke there somewhere.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm none meant. Carried a pager 24/7 for 14 years.....stressful ass shit and no quality of life. When that ended my life BEGAN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People who withdraw from caffeine overnight commonly complain of headaches in the morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [green] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why drink so much water right before bed time??? I try to shut it down about and hour and a half before bed so I can sleep the whole night without having to get up and pee more often than my small bladdered wife... Never had any headache issues. My issue is having to wake up at all to have to pee before my alarm goes off and disrupts my beauty rest. Only nights that changes is before race day to stay hydrated all night. It's a delicate balance of drink and pee...

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where do you live?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why drink so much water right before bed time??? I try to shut it down about and hour and a half before bed so I can sleep the whole night without having to get up and pee more often than my small bladdered wife... Never had any headache issues. My issue is having to wake up at all to have to pee before my alarm goes off and disrupts my beauty rest. Only nights that changes is before race day to stay hydrated all night. It's a delicate balance of drink and pee...

Same here.
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [wiffcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None too surprised on this one - I have had workplace stresses manifest physically many a time.

In Reply To:
Ummm none meant. Carried a pager 24/7 for 14 years.....stressful ass shit and no quality of life. When that ended my life BEGAN!

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread. I would lean toward stress or sleeping position for cause of your headaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydration at night? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why not drink more water during the day? I drink ~ 100 oz per day. My routine is to grab and drink a 1 litre bottle in the morning, refill and drink at lunch, and refill and drink for the drive home. Add a couple of cups of coffee and a few beers and I'm sure I'm hydrated and usually have to get up at least twice a night to pee.

Great point about drinking water during the day , but do remember that water in itself DOES NOT hydrate.
Water is effectively electrolyte neutral.
Try doing an IM or marathon "hydrating" with water , you'll be in for a serious headache if your lucky and hyponaetremic if you are not.
Electrolytes ( sodium , magnesium , potassium and calcium ) in conjunction with water , hydrate.
Not water by itself.

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think a gallon is alot of water to consume during the day. I usually drink about 4 or 5 40oz Kleen Kanteens worth while I am at work and at home during the day. I would say try drinking more. Also look at other factors that could be giving you headaches. I usually don't get headaches from dehydration unless I am really running a deficit I would assume you are not that dehydrated in the middle of the night if you are getting a gallon during the day in you.

hey, hey, hey, don't forget- Stan Yablonsky never cold cocked no woman.
Quote Reply