Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The human junkyard: List your injuries here.
Quote | Reply
Let's see how busted up we all are. Put your injury list here: Broken bones, surgeries, diseases, overuse injuries.

Spare us the minor bumps and bruises. We're looking for the heavy stuff here.

Thank you advance for not being too gross.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm.... during tri career :

Peroneal tendonitis (tendon detaching from bone during IM it was so bad)

Torn vaseus medialus

Torn hamstring (right in the middle too)

Stress fracture of 5th metacarpal bone in foot

I did get hit by a car, but only had minor bumps and bruises, so I guess I'm pretty lucky. I do have 2 scars from it if that counts?

I don't think I have any diseases, I may have OCD about triathlon now :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll play.

Non-displaced fractured great toe. (You can hurt yourself if you messup a flip turn)

Three broken toes (Hit the wall hard in intramural basketball)

Dislocated shoulder (Rugby)

Late onset Oshlegger's (sp?) knee (Water polo)

Tracking problem right shoulder (Water polo)

Fractured cheek bone, facial nerve paralysis, temporary (Rugby)

And this year, displaced fibula fracture and tore the deltoid ligament clean off the bone. (Any bonus points for real pain? I had to hobble 1~ mile back to the car) Two screws and a reattached ligament and 7 months on the bench. (Triathlon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
~3rd degree sprain - L ankle
~3rd degree sprain - R ankle (1 yr later)
~2nd degree sprain, MCL damage R knee
~2x Whiplash (football injury followed several years later by a car accident)
~Tibial stress fractures/shin splints - both legs, too many times to count
~Highly agitated bursitis, R MTP joints
~Highly unstable R shoulder due to multiple violent dislocations - now sublixates/fully dislocates at the drop of a hat

Those are the ones that sidelined me for a significant period of time... The rest are pretty minor in comparison.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- broke right clavicle in criterium, had it pinned

- broke left clavicle, criterium

- car v bike, broke left clavicle, tibia, upper jaw, had head injury, multiple surgeries
- fascia tear along left anterior tib from same accident, needed surgery to correct, still recovering
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one serious: Impact injury to the left rotator cuff and shoulder joint. The single most painful thing I've yet to experience. Until this injury, I had no idea the human body could create pain so exquisite.

And, a bunch of minor stuff to boring to get into.

The most annoying is plantar fascitis: my feet are like terrodactyl claws in the morning and my wife says I hobble around like an old man until they loosen up.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken heart...despite appearances, I never completely recovered. The rest of the stuff is regular, run-of-the-mill minor (concussions, broken wrist, broken clavicle, broken fingers, achilles tendonitis, sartorius tear, hamstring tears, both plantaris tendons torn, various dislocations/tears, chainsaw injury to right arm taking about a hundred stitches and resulting in sensory nerve damage, etc.).

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken jaw, 13 shattered teeth, both arms broken (different occasions), various fingers and toes (one fingernail still grows out in two pieces), dislocated finger (no break), impingement syndrome in both shoulders that required surgery on both, syatic (sp) nerve in my back, three severely mashed discs in lower back, three cracked ribs, partial tear hamstring. I guess that's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started my cycling fanaticism in a grand fashion at the age of five: Flying down my front drive way, which was a long steep hill, on a bad-ass big wheel.

Stopped after getting whacked by a Ford truck. Broke the femur and tibula in two places. Nice way to cap off my ealier start with orthotics and leg braces! Broke arm falling out of tall tree. Broke nose jumping off see-saw, hoping my little friend would fall to the ground hard. Sliced tendons in finger while cleaning a snook. Got mauled by a german shepard. Small town, nurses knew me by name. Then I grew up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Surgical hernia repair-

-Saphenous vein removal, R leg, varicosed-

-3 R knee surgeries-meniscus repairs, ACL replaced, reconstructed-

-Couple of fingers broken-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Torn ACL playing hockey... Here's the kicker... I didn't start tri's until AFTER reconstruction. (I grew up swimming and cycling was part of rehab). Thankfully, I didn't tear much cartlidge or other ligaments (Orthopod said I was lucky). Still try to run mostly on trails though.

- Stress fracture.. ramped up the miles too soon during the recovery. Was coming down too hard on my uninjured leg.

- Torn Quad - Again playing hockey (it's a rough sport folks)

I will say this. Triathlon has been a gift to me. It's prevented me from getting the "beer belly" commonly associated with retired fasttwitch athletes (hockey players, football players, baseball, etc). Furthermore, it's kept me in good shape to prevent me from getting injured the recreational hockey league I now play in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ground off skin, Big ,Knee & elbow scars, from my 60s version of BMX bike wrecking. One broken wrist Hit by a car high school......I left a 10" circle 3 " deep, windshield indentation from my head . Had a hard time walking for a week. Surgery on Clavicle, A/C joint repaired pined, ligaments sewed to the bone. Bi-molier ankle fracture ?, which mean both side of the ankle joint fracture after from the ball, those two knuckle points R & left side of one foot , Man that hurt. Damned two wheel devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MCL damage that I had avoided surgery on for nearly 20 yrs (through rehab), three broken ribs, tooth chip, several hundred stitches (all from ice hockey).

Whiplash, strained lumbar from two car accidents.

Thoracic outlet syndrome (which mimics carpal tunnel) from hairdressing. Borderline carpal tunnel syndrome, as well. Rotator cuffs are weak and will eventually require surgery. Feet have spread three widths, but only in the front. I still have a B-width heel, which makes next pair of cycling shoes that require custom fitting.

Severe lumbar strain, five square yards of road rash (over a long period of time), nerve damage in left thumb, chipped tailbone, chronic hip flexor tightness, all from bike accidents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left ACL reconstruction, Right FCR tendon reconstruction, 2 broken ankles, 1 dislocated finger, 3 sets of at least 8 stiches, and 2 sinus surgeries to remove polyps and fix a deviated septum (not really injuries but boy do I breath better now).
Last edited by: PH: Dec 17, 04 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my patellar tendon in my right knee scoped in January of 2003, feels like it's ready for another. Maybe I could get a subcription? Also, I have overuse injuries that have lead to tightness in just about every muscle in my upper legs, predominantly on my left side. It manifests itself with hamstring pain, lower back pain, left side only, to the point that in the past, I had to walk with crutches for 2 days because I couldn't bear any weight. It's better, but still there. The imbalance has pulled everything out of whack such that my sacrum and pelvis are in too close of proximity. I believe the term is sacroillial injury, similar to what Joanna Zeiger has suffered from. Gonna try and nip this with some A.R.T. beginning the first of the year. I had a relapse during an Ironman build up this summer, and definitely don't want that again next year. Sucks doing an IM injured. Sucks even more training for one while injured. Oh, and my hip flexors ache continuously:) It's all related.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Massive dislocation to right elbow. Ossification in the joint. It won't straighten anymore. Which is good for my highelbow catch on that side. It also tells me when it is going to rain

2. Fractured nose (2X), Ribs (3X) and toes (just one) - left over martial arts nonsense.

3. Achillies tendon tear (2X - matched set)

4. Saddle sores
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [JHESEE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of my appointment with the Quack at 9am today....an inguinal hernia WAHEYHEYHEY!!!

Apparently it's massive and I should be in agony...but I'm not lol...but it hasn't stopped the butcher of Birmingham booking me in for a spot of surgery first week in Jan 05.

There will be a post leading on from this asking for advice about training post surgery as I'm currently (or was) training for Lanzarotte 05.

Stu...with the lumpy groin!

Stu

Never knowingly exceeding my own expectations!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Type 1 diabetes since age 24 (now getting ready to turn 50)

Torn meniscus right knee (2 places/1 surgery)

Sesamoiditis left foot (ongoing, but improved after treatment)

Frozen shoulder, bilateral (mostly better after PT but some limit to ROM)

Plantar fasciaitis, both feet w/heel spur in right foot (got injection in heel 5 weeks ago and getting ultrasound treatments on both heels--getting better)

Osteoarthritis in neck (pain comes and goes--not bad right now)

All (except for the knee) seem to be things I will never be totally cured of but have to live with forever.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ladies & Gentlemen, we have a winner: weiwentg

with no fewer than 6 broken bones in different events, and a cyclist with 3 broken clavicles!! WINNER, WINNER, WINNER.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is thankfully very short, but the current problem has put an end to any triathlon training:

1. Fractured Patella in 1985( Long story)

2. ITB problem in 1995( Came back from a month off too hard)

3. Herniated Disc is currently a permanant pain in the back - pun intended. No running, no xc- skiing and only cycling when the back feels good is what I can do these days.

It's not so bad, as I had 20+ years of high level training and racing reached many of my key goals and had a good run at it.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ladies & Gentlemen, we have a winner: weiwentg

with no fewer than 6 broken bones in different events, and a cyclist with 3 broken clavicles!! WINNER, WINNER, WINNER.
yes, and this is at a time when most cyclists only have two clavicles to start with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working from the top down:

7 Concussions (hockey, skateboarding [2], BMX, soccer, boxing, car accident)

Broken:
nose (3 times)
cheekbone (suckerpunched during a mugging attempt)
collarbone (monkeybars)
arm (both, once each)
hand (right)
fingers (several)
ribs (several)
tibia (does that count as ankle or leg??)
pinky toe (there is NOTHING you can do for that)

Separated / dislocated:
shoulder
fingers (several)

Sprained:
ankle
wrist
thumb
back (L4-L5)

I haven't been hurt during tri / run training, (except for a 1st year / bad shoes stress fracture) but I had so sit out last year due to a calf injury from MTB and a chronic left hamstring from surfing (goofyfoot).

Plus I had surgery to mend a vericosele on one of my boys.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, I have broken two clavicles through Judo, both left ones!!!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I go with the big stuff first!

Craniosynostosis (Neuro surgery at 3 months old) Just leaves me with a nice 107 stitch scar across my head (If I do go bald I will look like something out of the Adams Family) When I had No.2 cut for Royal Marine training I was still getting some pretty funky stares (I usually just siad it was where my brain was removed after I applied for the Paras!)

C4/5 Fracture in Cervical Spine (Neck compressed in ruck playing rugby) Frayed and impinged nerve cords leading to intermittent paralysis on Left hand side and 70% loss of strength (This is after numerous other rugby injuries, including upwards of 75 stitches, 3xbroken nose until I lost all the bone below half level in my nose, broken tibia, seperated shoulder and two broken fingers (greenstick fractures - lovely) Rugby was a great game but a C-spine injury will end your interest pretty quickly!

Since moving into Multi-sport things are much more in the over-use category (despite broken clavicle in a messy crit pile-up - surprised not to see more of these!) was Pes bursitis on left knee, some ITB issues, Sciatic pain from L3 and a whole heap of rotator cuff "issues" but all-in-all waaay better than rugby days!

"That which we achieve too easily, we esteem too lightly "Thomas Paine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy sh*t. This thread makes me feel better about my own list:

Surgeries:

Sub-acromial decompression of the right shoulder for severe impingement syndrome. (At ~80%)
Varicocele repair, left side. (Look it up if you want, it's a male thing. Only ~10% discomfort remains.)

Injuries:

Hairline fractures in left wrist and right elbow from bike crash in Central Park. (Both at ~80%)
Multiple bouts of left ITBS.
Single bout of PF. (Turned out to be the new sneakers.)
Badly sprained left ankle that never quite healed well. (At ~80-90%)

Other:

I also have some kind of pain behind my right knee that started pre-IMFL, and persists post-IMFL, despite my being a near sloth. Maybe when I start weight training Jan.1 it'll work itself out. If not, it's off to the ortho for a consult.
Quote Reply

Prev Next