Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 405-waterproof?
Quote | Reply
Anyone with experience with the Garmin 405?
Is it suitable for 1/2 ironman swim? (does it leak?)
And what's the difference between the 405 and the 405CX?

thanks,
twain
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 405-waterproof? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it is not Water Proof. The 310xt is however. Difference in the models is the wrist band lengths, Antenna is in the wrist band so you if you have small wrist then use the smaller band.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard people claim that they have swam in it, some claim repeatedly, but it is in no way claimed to be waterproof or recommended to be used in this manner. In terms of other anecdotal evidence, I had a 405 before I got my 310xt, I forgot a few times and wore it in the shower a few times and it was fine., which is actually something positive to say about the 405, I would never be able to 'forget' that the brick of a 310xt was on my wrist. Again though, I really would not recommend making a habit of swimming with the 405 though.

In regards to the 405CX, it's an improved 405 with some extra features, I believe it is higher precision GPS and has improved HR monitoring capabilities. Overall, having owned both a 405 and now the 310xt, I really have a hard time recommending the 405 to any multisport athletes, I find it's really just too limited in terms of the interface, display, and overall applicability to multisport. Hence, I got rid of mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 405-waterproof? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it sounds like the brick is the best way to go... How do you even get your wet suit sleeve over it in a race?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine bought one when the 405 first hit the market and hated it because he could not swim with it. while the water didn't ruin the watch, once the bezel gets wet you cannot control the functions of the watch. He ran into the same problems running and dumping water over himself.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 405-waterproof? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who makes the 310xt?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 405-waterproof? [Paul1999] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin makes both the 405, 405CX, and 310XT.

405CX is basically the same thing as the 405. Two benefits- one is a velcro band for people with smaller wrists. The second is a set of European charging cables. I don't think the actual guts of the watch are any different. Oh, you do also get a fancy blue watchband. So three benefits!

The 310 won't transmit HR while you are actually underwater. The water prevents transmission. However, they will sync up afterwards and you can see your HR after the workout.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone with experience with the Garmin 405?
Is it suitable for 1/2 ironman swim? (does it leak?)

From the owners manual, page iv:

Quote:
The Forerunner is waterproof to IEC Standard 60529 IPX7. It can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes.

So, if you're a relatively fast swimmer or don't mind stretching the specs just a bit, it should be fine for a HIM swim.

Note that in my experience the bezel absolutely freaks out when its wet. Even rain or sweat can do it in. And if you have it set to backlight on key action (including bezel touches), this can drain the battery in about 15 minutes. So I'd definitely lock the bezel before the swim. If you want more than one screen of data, turn on auto scroll. That way you won't need to touch the bezel for anything.

Also note that the 405 doesn't have a multisport mode, so you'll have to go through a few button presses (including unlocking and then relocking the bezel) in transition.

Stephen
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 405-waterproof? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it is in no way claimed to be waterproof

Not true. See quote from owners manual in separate post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So it sounds like the brick is the best way to go

I don't know if you've seen a 405 in person, but it's not that much smaller than the 310. It just looks a lot sleeker because they've rounded a lot of the corners. I don't know that a 405 would be any easier than a 310 w.r.t. a wet suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 405-waterproof? [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My training partner uses a 305. It has been sent back to be repaired for damage that was done from waring it in the shower after he forgot to take it off after IMAZ this year. I just got my 310xt in the mail today. The display and battery life are much better than the 405 (also can interface to your Wireless Powertap too). On the bike, the display will also allow me to take quick glances with out having to adjust my eyes too much which is key for me - (I am 47 near far focus is getting bad). IMO it is worth the added cost and is marginally larger but about the same weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 405-waterproof? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other thing- I've heard rumors of a new Forerunner coming out soon. No details yet, but can keep everyone updated as they are released. May want to wait to purchase one...

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only thing I have heard is that the touch bezel reacts to water that is roughly the temparature of skin. Had a customer who had his bezel "enter" in the shower. Other than that he had no other issue afterward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like there really isn't a great replacement for the Polar 720i/625 series watches (except the odd looking RS800) that combines HRM with altitude + graphing.
From what I've heard the garmin units rely on GPS solely for altitude which has a lot of variance.
The bezel issues seem like a real PIA with the Garmins as well.

Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 405-waterproof? [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From the owners manual, page iv:

Quote:
The Forerunner is waterproof to IEC Standard 60529 IPX7. It can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes.

So, if you're a relatively fast swimmer or don't mind stretching the specs just a bit, it should be fine for a HIM swim.
Stephen

IPX7 is designed to withstand accidental immersion for that period of time. It is not designed for regular use in water. Certainly not for swimming Even if it does not leak the first time you try this (and it has for some people) it eventually will leak if you continue to use it in water. Garmin themselves make this clear. It should not be fine at all for your HIM swim unless you are lucky.

Please do not risk your expensive watch for something it was not designed to do. If you want waterproof Garmin, either buy the 310 or wait for the upcoming waterproof version of the 405 that is supposedly coming out.
Quote Reply